“Don't stay here.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Budget Inn Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Athens
Budget Inn Motel
Indiana
“Don't stay here.”
Reviewed 6 January 2009

We arrived in Athens on Nov. 30 and decided to spend the night before going on to Gulf Shores. When my husband went into the motel office, he asked for a room with a king-size bed. She charged the room to our Debit card and gave him the key. When he went to the room it was filthy and smelled bad and did not have a king-size bed so he took the key back to the office and asked for a refund. She said she didn’t now how to refund a debit card and the owner would do it as soon as he returned. We have never been credited for that amount.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank rlsk41
Nehalvpatel, Worker at Budget Inn Motel, responded to this review, 12 September 2009
We are sorry for the bad customer service and the bad rooms. I am part of the new management and we are working hard on fixing all the problems, rooms, etc. Again we are sorry.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Ashland, OH
Reviewed 29 December 2007

About a week before my wife and I were to stay in this motel, I called
them and talked to an Indian man who told me the price for two adults and "one small house-broken dog" would be $25. We were very pleased and told him we'd be there on December 24th. (We did not make a reservation as he said he would have plenty of rooms available.)

When we arrived we were immediately turned off by the exterior of the motel -- very run-down with less than trustworthy-looking people milling around the parking lot and outside the rooms.

I was greeted at the front desk by the same man (he and his wife are the owners and only employees we saw). He said that our room would be $35. I reminded him of our conversation and he adamantly affirmed that
all his rooms were $35 or $40, never $25. I quickly relented because he was friendly and I thought there may have been a misunderstanding due to his thick Indian accent. I never mentioned us having our small chihuahua because I didn't think it necessary since he had already told us we could have "one small house-broken dog."

We got to room 103 and noticed the sign on the door: THIS IS A NON-SMOKING ROOM. This was obviously not true because when we entered the room the smell of stale cigarettes about knocked us over. We thought this may be a new policy but when I went to the bathroom I noticed wadded up toilet paper and cigarette butts in the toilet.

The carpet looked to be about 20 years old and was as dirty as it gets. The shower had black hair on the floor and there were only two hand towels.

The worst part was the king-size bed. Not only were the pillow cases stained but the sheets -- no joking -- had black and red pubic hairs all over them (as well as very long brown hair). We immediately decided we weren't going to stay but we were starving and because this
was late Christmas Eve, all the stores, including Wal-Mart, were closing. We drove around this small town and by the time we finally found the only place open (Sonic) and waited to get food and then eat,
it was about 9:10 before we made our way back to the front office to confront the owners.

We were greeted by the owner's wife. I politely told her that the room
was disgusting, we were not staying and we wanted our money back. She looked at our receipt and then rudely asked us why we checked in at 7:40 and waited until 9:10 to complain. We told her about the food search. She went in the back and argued with her husband for a minute.
He finally emerged and asked us to show him the room. We pointed out the pubic hairs in the bed, the hair in the shower and the disgusting carpet. The only thing we couldn't prove was the toilet paper and cigarette butts in the toilet because I flushed it after using it.

He was upset but said he'd give us a refund minus $10. We reluctantly agreed, knowing we needed to take what we could get and that we would be filing complaints anywhere we could.

This man actually had the nerve to say that the black and red pubic hairs came from our white chihuahua. We laughed but he was serious. He
was upset that I never mentioned we had a dog. I again reminded him of
our phone conversation and he again lied and said he never said we could have a dog.

Thankfully, he must have forgotten how much he charged us for the room
because his refund was only $4 less, not the $10 he had said.

The only positive about this place was the free cable TV. Other than that, stay away unless you feel like maybe catching a few diseases during your stay.

We found a nearby Super 8 Motel and were blown away by the luxuriousness of it -- let alone compared to the flea bag motel we had
just come from.

• Liked — Cable TV
  • Disliked — Pubic hairs all over bed sheets
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family