“Awful room”

Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Athens
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Awful room”
Reviewed 7 January 2013 via mobile

You get what you pay for! Clean sheets was the only ok part of the room, but they were thread-barren. The towel bar was hanging by one screw. The floors needed a massive scrubbing, better yet they should be replaced! I don't recommend this hotel!

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Anita1948
amitpatel72373, Manager at Country Hearth Inn Athens, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
dear guest we are soory for the stay but if u informed we could gladly take care of u on your past visit stay but please give us another chance to serve u better we will give u the best and good service and clean accomadation for u please just informed during your stay we can take of you once again thank you for choosing country hearth inn athens alabama we looking foward to seeing u again we will give u upgrade suite for u for rack rate of regular room thank u so much for your chance u serve u again

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 12 October 2012

There is nothing remotely deluxe about this hotel. It is beyond unacceptable. I booked two rooms on behalf of my mother for our trip to Athens this past weekend. Having stayed at a CHI&S before I had good expectations for these reservations. Unfortunately upon arrival, payment of the room and then a trip to the rooms provided a whole different experience. Not only is the building and grounds in need of much repair, the rooms were absolutely disgusting. My parents room (207) was horrific. The sheets and blankets had holes all in them, the floor had not been vacuumed evidenced by used tissues in the floor by the bed, the border around the walls was literally falling off the wall, not peeling up a little, a whole section was falling off the wall!! And then the bathroom-yuck! It looked like someone took a rag and just smeared feces in the shower tub instead of cleaning, the toilet was dirty and the sink and mirror were obviously not cleaned either. After seeing this, I went to check my room (231-I believe), the floors has not been vacuumed and there were spots on the mirror but the bathroom appeared to be somewhat clean, even though there were no towels or bath clothes (only 2 hand towels on the rack). My sheets were also well used with holes and many spots where someone had mended the linen. Well obviously no one should be allowed to stay in a room like 207 so I went to the front desk to get a new room for my parents. The poor girl working the front desk was being bombarded, the manager was no where in site and not even on property because all the little girl could say was 'You will have to call my manager" to the 3 people in front of me who were demanding a refund on their rooms (because the rooms were dirty and they found multiple spiders in the sheets when they pulled back the covers!!!). After some time, she took me to another room to review it and although it too was not the standard that I have come to expect from CHI&S, it was tons better than 207 and as we were told time and time again after we complained about the state of the rooms that we could not get a refund, this was our only option. However, at this point we are all wondering about the sanitary conditions of the whole hotel, between bugs, spiders, bed bugs, clean linens etc. In the end after complaining multiple times we did not even stay--we had to pay to get rooms somewhere else! We didn't even unpack our bags and the longest we spent in any room was less that 5 min--we didn't use the towels, toilets or beds. After securing another hotel, I returned the keys to the front desk and told the girl that we were checking out and not staying there due to the conditions. And you better believe I called the Athens Department of Health and they are investigating. My mom also called and spoke to the manager on Monday to discuss this and to request a refund. His response? Housekeeping says the beds were used and the trash cans were full. Unbelievable! That is crap! When I requested to change rooms for my parents the girl working the front desk walked up to 207 to review the room, she remade the beds (that we pulled back to check the sheets) as I stood there. The beds were fine and there was nothing in the trash cans! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone! I only wish I would have taken pictures to prove this disgusting state of this place.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Marie C
dear guest thank you for staying with country hearth inn athens alabama we are sorry for the past visit stay but we did renovated this hotel rooms we are giving best service as possible for u next visit stay also please give us another chance to serve u better and clean accomadation and our hotel staff has been working hard to u serve u best performance for the guest to serve we will give u clean and comfortable room for the accomadation for u once again thank you for choosing country hearth inn athens alabama.
Racine, WI
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I was on a tight budget and stayed here because I had to. What an unholy nightmare! The carpet was filthy and covered with clothes iron scorch marks. The heater/AC cover was broken, the shower head plumbing extended out of a gaping hole in the wall, the door was seriously patched and the fabric on the chair was stained disgustingly. Never again.

Room Tip: Anywhere but this hotel. A ditch in the woods would be better.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank CapnJake
amitpatel72373, Manager at Country Hearth Inn Athens, responded to this review, 23 March 2013
dear guest we are sorry for the past visit stay but country hearth inn athens recently renovated rooms and also we did taken care accomadation rooms for the guest we got clean fresh new funiture chairs and furinishing in the rooms also nice sheets and clean comfortable room available for guest please give us another chance to serve u better our hotel staff work hard to serve guest clean quiet and comfortable room for guest.. we are pleased to serve u again at country hearth athens alabama thanks you so much staying with us we will take care of u next visit stay.
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The worst experience I have ever had with a hotel chain. The room was disgusting. The Jacuzzi that we had sucked my child's leg enough to leave a red mark. My children found a crack pipe behind the Kleenex box. I wouldn't use the sheets on their bed for my animals to lay on. Worst of all they did not refund our money! Stay away!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Grossy09
amitpatel72373, General Manager at Country Hearth Inn Athens, responded to this review, 23 October 2012
iam sorry for the inconvince but the picture post on line is not for room 107 u stayed in that room is fine jaquzzi tub is fine we are renting this room daily guest is staying on date 10/22/12he is very pleased with room . but if had any inconvinyance need sto call us at desk assistance gladly take care of u please give another chance to serve u better thank you
Illinois
Reviewed 3 July 2012 via mobile

Gave this hotel a '1-star' rating just because i had to in order to write this review. I am so upset, I can't even explain. Crack-heads & lot-lizzards. This place is nasty BEYOND belief, smells like crack-cocaine & cigarettes have been smoked all day and all night in the room. The bathroom floor was sticky. I believe i witnessed a drug deal while waiting for him to go in and check us in. Six Hispanic gentlemen with back packs crammed into the room next to us (no pun intended). There was a construction crew of men parked outside our door leaning against a truck drinking & shooting the breeze. I did not feel safe and I did not want to leave our car. I would've parked in walmarts parking lot and slept in the car and felt more safe than staying at this hotel. We're on the phone with Hotwire right now to see if we can change our reservation elsewhere. I can't believe Hotwire would even do business with such a place. Their online site DOES NOT resemble what the actual rooms look like. Something was removed from the wall in the room and now there are holes in the wall with a little of the drywall torn. Not for anyone looking to relax but is for someone looking for a room to party all night. Oh good, Hotwire is putting us up in another hotel! Plain and simple, don't stay here!

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank iTeachHair
dear guest we are sorry for the last visit stay but our hotel has been chang staff in hotels and has been excellent service providing for guest at current stay we do not accomadation to guest that disturb another guest in hotel we do not rent to crack heads lizzards in hotel our hotel has been renovated recently and clean accomadations to guest we do not accomadation to tennager unlesss they are traveling with parents and family . our rooms has been fixed and renovated in rec ent year . once again thank you for giving us oppertunity to server u again thank you for staying at country hearth inn athens .
Guelph
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This was a lesson for us to stick with hotel brands that are known for their quality. Our room was extremely dirty, cracked walls, stained furniture and I was afraid to stand on the carpet without shoes. The second bed in the room was rumpled like it had not been changed from the people before us. It was very late and we had been on the road a long time, the price was very reasonable. We really should have moved on. The "hot breakfast" advertised was a waffle maker and cereal. The staff was very friendly and that's about it.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. The sign offers a cheap walk in rate, but that rate was sold out when we got th...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank riaPud
Brandenburg, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Sheets had holes in them and had ben sewn back together. TV remotes were taped together. Fixtures falling from the ceiling, stains on the walls, The door didnt close properly, The pool was black. Dust lined the floors all around the furniture totaly gross..... Would love to post pics. Complained to Country Hearth Inn Suites Franchise Office still havent had a reply..DONT STAY HERE.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Michelle H
dear guest sorry for the stay but our hotel is safe and clean accomadation we do not rent to guest they are not safe to another hotel guest stay with us . also our hotel is corporate seniors and travel and business guest stay with us once again please give us another chance to serve u again we will provide best and excellent and clean room and quiet room to serve u thank you for staying with country hearth inn athens alabama