“Gave a ONE only because there are no ZERO or NEGATIVTES”

Country Hearth Inn Athens
Ranked #11 of 11 Hotels in Athens
Birmingham, Alabama
“Gave a ONE only because there are no ZERO or NEGATIVTES”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We thought this hotel would be a nice stop while on a trip to a club meeting. When my husband checked in he was charged $45 instead of the advertised rate of $39.95, when asked about the rate, he was told that the rate is raised on weekends, we were tired and shrugged that off and went to our room. The rooms smell hit us as soon as we opened the door, we would not bring our clothes in that we were going to wear over the weekend due to the smell. The bed was like something you find on the side of the road. We were both unable to sleep during the night and could not wait for morning to come so we could leave. The room was so dirty that we had to keep socks on if we had to get up. The bathroom had stains all over the place and the cups were not in sealed packaging, therefore we chose to not to make morning coffee.
After reading the managers comments regarding the post about the lack of cleanliness of the rooms at this hotel, we decided to set the record straight.
DO NOT STAY HERE unless you are ok with filthy rooms, old wore out mattresses that a homeless person would refuse to lay on, and the fact that we actually stayed the night has taught us the lesson that a good nights sleep is worth more then the $51 we paid after tax. Next time we will only stay at a national chain hotel.

Room Tip: Keep going !!!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sissystigercar
amitpatel72373, General Manager at Country Hearth Inn Athens, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear guest first I want to say sorry for the stay at country hearth inn athens thank you for staying with us but our room is freshly get cleaned by house keeper daily our room does get spray freshly air freshner also fib breeze spray in ever each room also fresh clean room provide to guest but if u informed we could gladly taken care for u if u informed at desk we could call house keeper to taken care your needs in room or we could gladly move to another room for u but next visit please informed us to take care better needs for u also we could make more happy stay foru we are sorry for the past visit stay but please give another chance to serve u next time thanks for staying with us

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Judice, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and arrived at location at 8:48 p.m. on Tuesday September 3, 2013. Upon entering the room is smelled like urine. We went to front desk and ask for a refund since we would not be staying there. The cashier promptly stated that no refunds would be given with an attitude.. Upon our insistance she called her manager. and got our money refunded but did not like having to do all that extra work. Well then clean up your establishment and perhaps more people will stay. All the manager was worried about was how many rooms were booked for that evening.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Asuire
amitpatel72373, Manager at Country Hearth Inn Athens, responded to this review, 19 September 2013
iam sorry to say but this guest never checked in our hotel or never stayed with us or she is not in my system of hotel but iam sorry to let u know our room is clean comfortable just got shampooed done all rooms giving clean room to guest thank your for giving us to serve u next time to stay with us
Pensacola FL
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I was tired after a long day on the road, pulled in and from the parking lot it looked ok and the lobby seemed ok as well. I travel with my little dog so that's always a consideration - finding a decent, clean place that will take pets (there DO seem to be a lot more choices these days.) I checked in and when I climbed the stairs to the 2nd floor the steps were filthy and crumbling -- disgusting. When I got in the room the carpeting was dirty and burned from the iron, the coffee maker was missing half the parts and the worst was THE FLOOR SEEMED TO BE ROTTED UNDER THE CARPET by the vanity. I was afraid my foot/leg were going to go right through when I walked on it to go into the bathroom. I had to step around it. There were other big lumps under the carpet as well. There were more things, too, but you get the picture. I pulled down the bed covers and checked closely and the bedding looked clean or I would have packed up and left even at that late hour. The creepiness of the people coming and going made me sleep with my purse in the bed with a chair against the door -- something I've NEVER done before. Why I didn't just leave I'll never know! Horrible!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
amitpatel72373, Manager at Country Hearth Inn Athens, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
from country hearth inn suites we are sorry for past visit stay we are here to informed u that we are drug free hotel and all of the guest was here no longer allowed on property we are in process of keeping our hotel safe and drug free hotel also we painted hotel rooms and we got new countertop sink in hotel and we also got new staff of the hotel and we do provide clean comfortable room to all clinents staying in hotel thank you for staying with us in past visit stay give us another chance to serve u better
Saint Clair, Michigan
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We picked this hotel from the "Hotel Saver" coupon book we picked up at the rest stop. Since we had been driving 18 hours we made a poor decision to stay here. I'm pretty sure I witnessed a drug deal near the pool. There were a lot of unsavory characters hanging around this place. When my husband saw me getting ready to go to bed and pushing the table in front of the door for protection, we left even though we had already paid. Again, we used our coupon book and stayed at the awesome Super 8 down the street for the same $50.00 price.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
iam really sorry for the stay but our hotel is clean comfortable affordable hotel to stay we have safe clean enviormental to stay at hotel we accomdate to seniors travelers and corporate guest thank you for staying with us please give another chance to serve u better thank you for staying country hearth inn athens alabama
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

This place beyond gross!! We thought because of the name, location and price this would be a good place to stay 4 a night. Boy was I wrong!!! 1st off they don't honor the price shown on the sign outside! It was $20 more than what they are advertising! We got to the room that's suppose to be nonsmoking. The smell along w/ the 500 burns on the floor & sheets made it clear they allowed lots of people to smoke in all their rooms. The AC barely worked and was falling off the wall. The walls looked like they hadn't been paint nor cleaned in YEARS. They also had holes and "patches" all over. The lamp shades had holes and were stained from smoke. The toilet was broken(wouldn't flush right, missing parts and lid wouldn't fit on the back), burns on the sit and mold all around the bottom. The shower curtain rod had be moved down w/out patching the holes along w/ the rod being bent, like someone was swinging on the curtain. The chairs were SO stained to the point IDK how anyone would think its ok to sit on. The reason I say it's a crack hotel is because there were tons of people outside until the wee hours of the morning along w/ my husband finding what he thought was a crack pipe in a drawer. They people outside where drinking, slamming doors, screaming and very loud. They even had folding chairs sitting right outside our door. I called the front desk about the problem but they were unable to do anything. That was the room we 2nd one we went in. And after finding out we couldn't get our money back and 13 hours on the road we stayed. Thankfully I carry lysol!!!! DO NOT even stop to check it out!! We saw were they said they remodeled in several reviews, after having stayed, but trust me when I say they haven't done anything to "remodeled"!!!! Oh and the quilt looked to be at least 5 years old or more due to the little fuzz balls, u know the fuzz balls fabric gets after being washed countless times, all on the under side! You know the saying u get what you pay for? Well I would say I got ripped off!!!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank travelers0111
iam sorry but this guest never stayed in our hotel system also we do not accomadate to drug dealer also we have police drive around in hotel to keep hotel safe in 3 different times a day also they drive around another area as well thank you
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed 15 April 2013

Unfortunately, we did not check these reviews before we traveled. We were looking for a cheap hotel, and had we any other option, we would not have stayed. The shower curtain looked like it had blood stains, the bed felt like it was going to crash to the ground, and there was a stink in the air that was undescribable. The manager was very nice and showed me the room before I paid, because he said it was non-refundable, so I knew what I was getting into. I simply didn't really have any other choice, and was stuck with it. I felt dirty the whole time I was there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kerry G
we are sorry for the past visit stay but we did renovated this rooms and it is clean comfortable accomadating rooms to guest our housekeeper clean rooms change curtains in rooms same day also clean room just like home for the guest please give another chance to serve u better thank you for staying with country hearth inn athens alabama we looking foward to stay with us
Athens, Alabama
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I booked this room through expedia and it showed the price to be $45.00 which was cheaper than the next room up at $72.00 . the problem is that on top of the $45.00 they added $27.77 in taxes and fees which made them as high as another hotel in the area which is much nicer. How I identify this for the future? If expedia shows the booking page with the prices before the visa page comes up you know what the charges are. If the visa page comes first before you see the final price....run,,,,run,,,run.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank bettybar1005
amitpatel72373, Manager at Country Hearth Inn Athens, responded to this review, 22 March 2013
dear guest sorry for the reseravation u made with expidia hotels 3rd net party but they charged to guest different rate book reseravations also they pay hotels we do not collect payment from guest if u did called hotels they provide u hotels special rate available to u on that day once again thank you for staying with country hearth inn athens alabama we are thanks tou choose to stay at country hearth inn athens alabama but next visit traveling u can call us we can gladely take care of u thank u so much for your stay.