“Amazing Customer Care and Wonderful Hidden 5 Star Hotel”

The Hotel at Auburn University
Ranked #1 of 17 Hotels in Auburn
Steamwood, Illinois
“Amazing Customer Care and Wonderful Hidden 5 Star Hotel”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Hotel including staff from all levels of service are genuine and caring. During my many years of travel I beleive this hotel places in the top 10 of excellence. Surrounded by the excitment of University life combined with the comforts of home in each room. Walking distance to everything you may need. It's a super hide away hotel also.... no busy city life or cab noise driving you crazy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Auburn-Hotelier, General Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Ms. Joan F,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to Auburn and to The Hotel at Auburn University! Please let me know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, relaxing or productive.

Hans van der Reijden
Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Reviewed 22 January 2012

This hotel is "good" not great. The staff is friendly, courteous & helpful. They definitely have the Auburn Spirit but the hotel itself was a bit disappointing. It is clean & convenient. The beds are comfortable, but nothing special. The bathroom was quite small. We had an issue with the heat- got in from a basketball game & it was too late to call and complain. However, when mentioned to the manager upon checkout he was more than gracious & made up for it. The staff couldn't be better, the hotel needs a few updates.

Room Tip: The heat in our room did not work. Ask how to operate- another friend staying at hotel complained of...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Auburn-Hotelier, General Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Madam, Sir,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I will make sure to share your kind words about our service and our staff with our ladies and gentlemen at the hotel. I sincerely apologize for the issue you experienced with heat in your room and though I am glad to read that our Front Office Manager handled the situation to your satisfaction upon check out, it does not make for a good night of sleep for which I am deeply sorry.

I do hope that if travel takes you back to Auburn that you will choose our hotel again. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally to make these arrangements for you and to ensure we provide you with a room with both a tub and a shower. I want to make sure your next stay with us is the most comfortable and most enjoyable.

Yours truly,

Hans van der Reijden - Managing Director, The Hotel at Auburn University
Huntsville AL
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed there for a Court of Master Sommelier class/exam, and had a 'deluxe double room' which was very pretty. We didn't spend a lot of time there since we were in class all day, but I slept very well on their comfy bed! The pillows are really nice too, I like down pillows and my room had them. Probably the generic/fake kind to prevent allergies, but comfy nonetheless!

First night at the lounge, drinks were outstanding. We just had a meat and cheese plate, and that was of high quality. Very enjoyable evening and the bartenders were actually pleasant to everyone.

Doormen - always smiling! Very approachable, and one was willing to walk around the parking lot in freezing weather to find me a close spot! Too nice. I couldn't let him do it, though, he had on short sleeves....and he was young, so the mom in me came out. Oh well.

In regards to restaurants in Auburn, another poster said there were no good restaurants. I disagree. Maestro's is amazing. I am in the hospitality business, wholesale wine and beer and sake, and am always dining out. I will write a review shortly.

Back to the hotel - Classroom was set up nicely, a seminar layout so you could see everything and everyone. Water service excellent and the lunch (roll-ups and sandwiches) were very tasty. The second day we had different sandwiches, NOT your typical dry stuff at this place!

Restaurant - we had a break around 10 and a few of us needed coffee (desperately) and also needed to cleanse our palate after downing double espressos. We asked a random server if she could get us some crackers, and while the server went to get crackers, we had offers from the cashier to GIVE us cereal bars, would potato chip work, etc. How sweet! Server returned with a plate of crackers at no charge, now that is service.

Check-in and check-out were fast, pleasant. The general manager was on the property all the time, always seeing him interact with guests and staff. And smiling. I WILL stay there again. My kid is thinking of going to Auburn U - Mom may just have to come down for a visit or two and stay at the hotel!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 17 January 2012

The hotel is ideally located for a visit to Auburn. It's right across the street and it's an easy walk to anywhere on campus including the sports facilities. There are no good restaurants in Auburn and it didn't look much better out towards Opelika. That made the very good restaurant here just that much better. On our stay, I had an excellent steak and steamed mussels. My son had an overpriced, but nevertheless good lasagne dinner. The restaurant is upscale and so is the bar. The room we had was clean and comfortable. The bathroom was top notch although a bit small and it didn't have a tub but rather a large very functional shower. I'm a shower guy, so that was fine with me. Parking was easy and free. The free wi-fi functioned great -- and this is getting to be a pet peeve of mine if it isn't. The staff were friendly and tried very hard to please. There was no concierge, but that's probably irrelevant in Auburn/Opelika.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Pontotoc, Mississippi
Reviewed 14 January 2012

From the moment you turn into the parking lot you realize you are in for a treat. Landscaping and parking are very nice. Doormen assist you with parking and into the hotel. Front desk personnel are very nice. All employees speak. Rooms are spacious, comfortable and well accomadated. Hotel nicely located in relation to all areas of the Auburn campus. I look forward to returning to this Hotel

Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 11 January 2012

As a hospitality educator from UNLV, I can say that this was one of the most delightful hotel experiences EVER. The staff is courteous, energetic, engaging and really make you feel at home. The rooms are clean, modern, comfortable and attractive. The food in both the restaurant and banquet service was excellent. Some of the Vegas strip properties could learn a thing or two about service from The Hotel at Auburn University! When in Auburn...this is the ONLY place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put next to elevators. I heard from a friend that she could hear them go up and down.
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We stay in this hotel almost every year as we have family in the area. It is by far the best hotel in the area. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. Lots of plugs to charge phones and things like that! The bathrooms are nice but they could be a little bigger is the only thing.
There is a bar inside the hotel, called Piccolo and the restaurant is called Ariccia. Both are very nice with a really cool fireplace with a hearth covered in pillows so that you can sit in front of the fire comfortably. The hotel is great to walk all over the campus area, conveniently located near all of the local restaurants. Best hotel in Auburn hands down!

Room Tip: Room #503 has a great view!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family