“One of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had.”

The Hotel at Auburn University
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Auburn
Orlando, Florida
“One of the worst hotel experiences I have ever had.”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a conference and was appalled at the treatment we received. I was staying there for a leadership conference, with 15 other students as well as our advisor. None of us are rowdy, and are all adults and are respectful, however we were treated like children. When we would walk down the hall we would be reprimanded for being too loud, even though we were having personal, one-on-one conversations. We were not allowed to go in to each other's rooms just to have a discussion. In fact, when we tried to meet in our President's room with our for a quick meeting, we were told that not more than the designated amount of people were allowed in the room, that this was our first warning and that if we continued to stay in the room that the police would be called to escort us off of the property, even though we had barely said two words to each other at that point. This disgusting treatment was not only inflicted on myself and my school, but on many of the other universities staying on the property. I work for a hotel, and we have had conferences of teenagers stay in the hotel; however, we would never treat them like this, as if they had absolutely no self control and needed to be constantly monitored and threatened. I am absolutely DISGUSTED at the treatment we received, and would never recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Auburn area.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank E S
Auburn-Hotelier, General Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear Madam?Sir,

I am sorry to learn of your disappointment with your recent stay at The Hotel at Auburn University. I have shared your feedback with our team. I want to insure that we provide an outstanding experience for all guests and when multiple noise complaints are received from our hotel guests that we still respond in a strict but cordial manner.

SIncerely,

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
USA
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Cheap plastic "glasses". Yeah, the first thing I mention about this otherwise very nice hotel is the out-of-character cheap plastic "glasses" they put in the guest rooms. Anyway, this is undisputedly the best hotel in Auburn. It is also the most expensive, but that's to be expected. The location is ideal: directly across from campus, two blocks from the center of town and withing walking distance of just about anything you would come to Auburn for. The interiors, both the public areas and guest rooms, are beautifully done and will remind you of the original Ritz-Carltons. One flaw is the heating/ac in the rooms: some idiot decided to save a thousand bucks a room in the original design and opted for through-the-wall ac units (as found in budget motels), with the result being a noisy, inefficient heating/cooling system that the hotel can never correct. Many of the front line employees are Auburn students so the service is enthusiastic if not perfectly polished. (Both the guest services directory and the chipper young woman who answered the guest services phone assured me that a Sunday newspaper would be delivered to my room. None ever arrived at my room or any other room on my floor. However, that was more than compensated for by the nice stack of complimentary Sunday New York Times at the restaurant entrance.) The restaurant, Ariccia, is Auburn's special occasion/visiting parents dining spot. The popular Sunday brunch is good but could really use more fresh fruit (only one fruit item was available, and that was in some type of mysterious white sauce) and stuff like bagels and English muffins. The servers are generous with the OJ and coffee but don't mention that both are an extra charge. Overall, this hotel is frankly the best place to stay in Auburn but, hey -- management: get rid of the cheap plastic "glasses"!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank fberkeley
Auburn-Hotelier, General Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear Madam, Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, our service and our staff. I truly appreciate your very positive feedback about our staff and will make sure to share this with our team. I also took note about your request about glass versus plastic cups. Based on recent publicity on glassware in hotel rooms, most guests prefer dispoable over glass but we can very easily provide this for you on your next stay and will be happy to do so.

I look forward to welcoming you back to The Hotel at Auburn University.

Verbena
Reviewed 19 February 2012

My son and I have stayed here for several years now when he attends the Auburn University honor bands. The rooms are clean, comfortable, spacious enough, and accommodating. The bathroom has all we need. It is convenient to campus where he can be dropped off at the music building and I return to the hotel and can pretty much walk anywhere I want. The restaurant is great - a little expensive for a teacher's budget - but, wouldn't change it - the bar is nice for sitting and relaxing and hearing some great music. My son will start at Auburn University in the fall and my husband and I intend to stay here when we come to visit our son.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Ms. Donna V,

Thank you so much for your kind review about your stay in our hotel for the Honor Band event. I look forward to welcoming you back to Auburn and to The Hotel at Auburn University for the next 4 years as your son goes to school here at Auburn.

War Eagle!

Fairhope, Alabama
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I selected this hotel because it was listed as a preferred hotel for a masters swim meet and was offered a special rate. I was traveling with two friends and we arrived way earlier than the posted check-in time. The front desk staff was very welcoming and luckily a room was available. Also at check we requested a rollaway. The room was very clean and the spacious. This allowed us to relax and rest a little before the swim meet. After the meet we found that the requested inflatable bed had been left in the room but not inflated. We called the front desk and requested that it be inflated and they sent someone right up to help. The onsite restaurant was ok the breakfast buffet is ok if you like mass quantities but order off the menu, much better. The jazz bar was great and the wait staff on Saturday night was very attentive. They had a jazz trio playing and the music was relaxing. Parking was easy and overall the hotels location was perfect. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Mr. Bob M,

Thank you so much for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your stay with us. I am so glad to read our staff was able to get you and your fellow guests into rooms early in order to prepare for the swim meet. I look forward to welcoming you back to Auburn and to The Hotel at Auburn University for the next swim meet or for any other occasion!

Steamwood, Illinois
Reviewed 17 February 2012

The Hotel including staff from all levels of service are genuine and caring. During my many years of travel I beleive this hotel places in the top 10 of excellence. Surrounded by the excitment of University life combined with the comforts of home in each room. Walking distance to everything you may need. It's a super hide away hotel also.... no busy city life or cab noise driving you crazy.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Dear Ms. Joan F,

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I look forward to welcoming you back to Auburn and to The Hotel at Auburn University! Please let me know if there is anything we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, relaxing or productive.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

This hotel is "good" not great. The staff is friendly, courteous & helpful. They definitely have the Auburn Spirit but the hotel itself was a bit disappointing. It is clean & convenient. The beds are comfortable, but nothing special. The bathroom was quite small. We had an issue with the heat- got in from a basketball game & it was too late to call and complain. However, when mentioned to the manager upon checkout he was more than gracious & made up for it. The staff couldn't be better, the hotel needs a few updates.

Room Tip: The heat in our room did not work. Ask how to operate- another friend staying at hotel complained of...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Auburn-Hotelier, General Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Madam, Sir,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor. I will make sure to share your kind words about our service and our staff with our ladies and gentlemen at the hotel. I sincerely apologize for the issue you experienced with heat in your room and though I am glad to read that our Front Office Manager handled the situation to your satisfaction upon check out, it does not make for a good night of sleep for which I am deeply sorry.

I do hope that if travel takes you back to Auburn that you will choose our hotel again. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally to make these arrangements for you and to ensure we provide you with a room with both a tub and a shower. I want to make sure your next stay with us is the most comfortable and most enjoyable.

Yours truly,

Hans van der Reijden - Managing Director, The Hotel at Auburn University
Huntsville AL
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We stayed there for a Court of Master Sommelier class/exam, and had a 'deluxe double room' which was very pretty. We didn't spend a lot of time there since we were in class all day, but I slept very well on their comfy bed! The pillows are really nice too, I like down pillows and my room had them. Probably the generic/fake kind to prevent allergies, but comfy nonetheless!

First night at the lounge, drinks were outstanding. We just had a meat and cheese plate, and that was of high quality. Very enjoyable evening and the bartenders were actually pleasant to everyone.

Doormen - always smiling! Very approachable, and one was willing to walk around the parking lot in freezing weather to find me a close spot! Too nice. I couldn't let him do it, though, he had on short sleeves....and he was young, so the mom in me came out. Oh well.

In regards to restaurants in Auburn, another poster said there were no good restaurants. I disagree. Maestro's is amazing. I am in the hospitality business, wholesale wine and beer and sake, and am always dining out. I will write a review shortly.

Back to the hotel - Classroom was set up nicely, a seminar layout so you could see everything and everyone. Water service excellent and the lunch (roll-ups and sandwiches) were very tasty. The second day we had different sandwiches, NOT your typical dry stuff at this place!

Restaurant - we had a break around 10 and a few of us needed coffee (desperately) and also needed to cleanse our palate after downing double espressos. We asked a random server if she could get us some crackers, and while the server went to get crackers, we had offers from the cashier to GIVE us cereal bars, would potato chip work, etc. How sweet! Server returned with a plate of crackers at no charge, now that is service.

Check-in and check-out were fast, pleasant. The general manager was on the property all the time, always seeing him interact with guests and staff. And smiling. I WILL stay there again. My kid is thinking of going to Auburn U - Mom may just have to come down for a visit or two and stay at the hotel!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business