“The Hotel at Auburn University”

The Hotel at Auburn University
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Auburn
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We recently stayed at the Hotel at Auburn and it was delightful. The ambiance is wonderful and the staff was great. We had a deluxe king corner-room on the 6th floor and had a great view. That evening, we attended a large, dinner wedding reception and it was professional and delicious. We were told many of the employees are enrolled in the hotel management or culinary arts program at Auburn and it showed. The hotel's dining room was a wonderful place for lunch and Sunday brunch. The service was great and the food was delicious. Even the toiletries were upscale.

Room Tip: The higher the level, the better the view of the campus.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
David_Merryman, Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2013

Dear PC32405:

Thank you so much for your kind review of The Hotel at Auburn University and for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

As so many of our guests have noted, our location on the AU campus, across the street from iconic Samford Hall gives us a location in Auburn that is second to none. However, our location would be nothing without our amazing team of hospitality professionals and Auburn students, many of whom will earn their degree in Hospitality Management and become the next generation of industry leaders.

I do hope that your journeys will bring you back to Auburn and that we have a chance to welcome you back to The Hotel at Auburn University.

Reviewed 15 July 2013

As the saying goes, this is the loveliest village of the plain and what better place to stay than The Hotel at Auburn University which is located in the center of town. Friendly staff, beautiful hotel, clean rooms and good restaurants all await you at this wonderful place. It is within walking distance to many local points of interest both on and off campus. Whether you are new to the area or one who already loves the Auburn community, you will find this a wonderful place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Janelarry:

Thank you so much for staying at The Hotel at Auburn University during your recent visit to "the loveliest village on the plains," and for sharing such a wonderful review with us.

Our amazing staff of hospitality professionals and AU students take great pride in the hotel, and in exceeding the expectations of what a university-owned, on-campus hotel can be. As you noted, our location on the AU campus, can't be beat and puts you in the middle of everything that Auburn has to offer.

Thank you again for being our guest; I hope that on your next visit to Auburn, we have a chance to welcome you back to The Hotel at Auburn University.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

I had not stayed at this hotel in years. The last time was in 2002, and it was OK.

The hotel has definitely been renovated over the years. It's in very good shape.

Check-in was quick, and the staff was very friendly.

The room was spacy. My son really liked the shower. There was not a tub, but a walk-in shower.

The hotel has the best location of any in Auburn, if you are interested in attending something at the university. It's located within a couple of hundred yards from Samford Hall and Toomers Corner.

There is free wi-fi, which many top-flight hotels do not offer.

My only complaint was the coffee I bought in the lobby. It was a very small cup for a large. That size must be a leftover from the Wizard of Oz reunion.

There are several excellent hotels I've used at Auburn, but this one has to be at the top.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Brian:

Thank you so much for being our guest on your recent visit to Auburn, and for giving us such great feedback on your experience.

We underwent a complete guest room renovation in 2008 and continue to renovate and refresh all areas of the hotel every year. I'm pleased that you noticed all the hard work that the staff has done to maintain the hotel and keep it in perfect condition.

I do apologize that you found the size of your coffee to be so small. I have met with the Barista and her small and large sized cups are now of the proper size; I'll be happy to take care of your next coffee for you!

Should your travels bring you back to Auburn, we hope to welcome you back to The Hotel at Auburn University.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

This was my second time in this hotel. Loved everything about it the first time not so this go around. The person at check in was pleasant, not nice, just doing her best to keep a fake smile on. I stayed in a king deluxe. The room was clean and bed was very comfortable. The curtains don't close all the way, not because they are broken it is by design. The heat and AC unt are located in the center of the window so it blows the sheer curtain open. If you like it dark or like privacy not a good design, all the AC units drip on you when you walk outside also. The bathroom is tiny. My shower was tiled wrong so all the water sloped away from the drain. It also needed a good scrubbing probably from all the standing water.
I stayed for 2 nights, the first night I filled out the laundry/dry cleaning bag and slip and called the front desk to ask where to leave it or who to notify to pick it up. First I was told they didn't have laundry service, when I told her I just filled out the slip in my room she said she would notify housekeeping and it would be picked up by 8am.
I didn't really think so I called the front desk in the morning before heading out and was told I had to bring it to the front desk which I did. When I returned at 4:50, no clothes. When I went to the front desk she asked if I checked my room, yes. Then off to find them, when she returned with the same bag of dirty clothes I had dropped off she said, you must have dropped them off too late. Really, 7:15 am is too late? If so they should not have taken it, why didn't they return it, were they going to send it the next day? I was leaving the next day, now in dirty clothes. No apology.
I had a great appetizer in the bar and the bartender was friendly. The location is perfect with plenty of places to eat in the area.
I was so disappointed as I loved my first stay at this hotel, I hope they get it back together.

• Stayed: July 2013
David_Merryman, Manager at The Hotel at Auburn University, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Dear megilla:

Thank you very much for your being a repeat guest of ours at The Hotel at Auburn University, and for offering us your honest feedback regarding your most recent visit.

While I'm happy to hear that you found the bed in your guest room to be clean and comfortable and that you enjoyed your dining experience in the bar, I sincerely apologize about the issues you had during your stay with your shower as well as our poor response and lack of service regarding your laundry.

All of our employees are empowered to do whatever needs to be done to correct any defects in product and service, and I am sorry that our staff did not use this tool to assist you. While I am certainly discouraged when we receive a negative review, as Auburn University's training hotel, we use these instances with our students and professionals as teachable moments that we learn from, in order to identify and eliminate service deficiencies in all areas of our operations.

Thank you again for your feedback and I do hope that on your next visit to Auburn, you might grant us the opportunity to prove that your first stay with us is the norm, and that your second visit was the exception.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

The hotel couldn't be more conveniently located to visiting the University, and it's very nicely appointed with a cozy feel and yet what appear to be large and more than adequate conference facilities (we weren't there for one). The next time we come, we will definitively check out the restaurant, which looks appealing. Our room was well decorated with a large modern shower, big enough for two. Unfortunately it was at the end of the hall, where use of the stairwell exit door meant a wakeup call for us anytime it was used. The time I awoke was between 2 and 3 am when our bill was slid under the door and (presumably) a staff member used the exit door. My spouse, on the other hand, was unable to sleep because of a drip, drip, drip outside our window. She turned on the a/c to mask the sound, but it was very loud itself. So, while we definitely return, we will be more discriminating about the room before bedding down for the night.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Dear Cinesage:

Thank you so much for being our guest during your recent visit to Auburn, and for taking a moment to share your feedback with us.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our location on the campus of Auburn University; being on campus and within walking distance of all that Auburn has to offer certainly makes us a favorite among those who visit AU.

I would like to apologize for the issues that you had with corridor and air conditioning noise during your stay. In our efforts to continually update and improve our building, we are in the early stages of looking at completely updating and renovating the hotels guestroom HVAC systems. This will take a bit of time, but we do hope to be able to move forward with this project in the coming months and years.

Should your travels bring you back to Auburn, I do hope we get a chance to welcome you back to the hotel; if there is ever a way that I, or any member of our staff can be of assistance to you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

Stayed 2 nights in late June for wedding and reception. Reception at hotel. Wonderful staff and great rooms. Huge shower. Just right bed. Reception and catering top notch. The place to stay in Auburn.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Manup47:

Thank you so much for being our guest during your visit to Auburn, and for offering us such great feedback regarding your experience.

I'm really pleased to hear that your guest room and our facilities were to your liking, and that you found the wedding reception and catering to be top notch.

As many others have noted, our staff of Auburn University students and hospitality professionals are our greatest asset and our best ambassadors. They truly love the hotel, and it shows in everything that they do in order to provide and experience that is second to none for all of our guests.

If you travels bring you back to Auburn, we would love to welcome you back to The Hotel at Auburn University.

Reviewed 17 June 2013

This is probably the nicest hotel in Auburn, but ... there were issues while we were there that prevent us from saying it was excellent.

We were in town for a wedding and decided this was the best location for us since some of the wedding events were held here. The exterior of the hotel is nice and the lobby area is very nice, especially for a smaller town. The restaurant that is off the lobby is warm and inviting and the bar area is very nice. We ate dinner at Arricia, the restaurant off the lobby with a group from the wedding one night. The service was a bit slow, but the food was good.

We were staying in a king bed room and were disappointed that there was only one comfortable chair in the room. The second chair was a stiff chair at the desk. The bathroom was one of the smallest I have ever seen in a hotel. Every chain hotel we have ever stayed in had larger bathrooms than this. The bed was comfortable enough, but ... we had a hard time sleeping because the room (at least ours) was not very sound proof at all. We could hear the conversations of everyone walking down the hall and someone near us had a dog that must have been left alone in the room or been locked in the bathroom because it cried and cried until the wee hours of the morning. We saw a couple of people with dogs in the hotel. I know dog lovers appreciate this, but ... to bring one that would cry like that is not right for other clients of the hotel.

We had breakfast twice while at the hotel in the restaurant. The buffet was okay, but not wonderful. The omlettes and easy over eggs prepared for us were extremely oily. If you order eggs prepared just for you, ask that they go easy on the oil. The little coffee bar near the entrance to the restaurant does make a good latte.

Room Tip: Check to see if different rooms have different sized bathrooms. Ours was uncomfortably small for two...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear shelbee67:

Thank you for your recent stay at The Hotel at Auburn University, and for taking a moment to share your feedback regarding your visit.

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your dinner in Ariccia, and your latte in our Espresso bar. I do apologize that your guest room did not provide you the space or comfort to provide you a flawless experience. We are currently in the early stages of a guestroom refreshment project that should address many of the issues that experienced during your stay.

As we are a dog friendly hotel, we do have a specific pet policy to address any noise complaints; please don't ever hesitate to contact our reception desk should you have any noise issues and they will address them immediately.

Should your travels bring you back to Auburn, I do hope that we have a chance to welcome you back to The Hotel at Auburn University.