“Why so long to discover this place?”
Review of Acre

Reserve with OpenTable
Acre is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 228 Restaurants in Auburn
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Gay Street
Description: Acre highlights fresh, modern cuisine inspired by our southern heritage.
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Just found my favorite restaurant in Auburn area. Absolutely fabulous place! Friendly staff in a pleasant and unusual setting! Located on Glenn St just a block or so from Main Street in Auburn. Valet parking and self parking available. Very different menu from most anywhere around. The menu is an exploration that you will enjoy. No matter what you choose, you will find it well prepared and much better than you could have imagined. It is a little pricey but if you like quality and taste, you want mind price at all! My wife ate the fried grits with shrimp and really enjoyed it. We had the homemade jalapeño poppers which were ten times better than any I have ever eaten before. I ordered the ribeye steak with their own special way of preparing and was one of the best steaks ever! Dessert was their special bread pudding and in a city where there are some great bread puddings, it is undoubtedly the King! I will be a regular at the Acre from now on!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

My wife and I dined at the Chef's Bar last week while in Auburn to visit my parents and siblings. Things have really changed since I left in 1982 including the addition of a national-class restaurant in Acre, which I found via Best Chefs of America. As a chef and also a peer-nominated Best Chef of America, where and what I eat is very important to me. To find another restaurant that serves food on par with my own is always exciting.

We tried just about all the appetizers and two of the four charcuterie plates. The craftsmanship and the obvious dedication to quality was clear in all of them. The "Cast Iron" mussels were phenomenal and David Bancroft, will you be mad at me if those make a brief appearance on my own menu next week? The butterbean gnocchi didn't sing for me, but huge kudos for trying something new and different!

While sitting at the Chef's Bar facing the garde manger station, we got to chat all night with the two garde manger cooks and rarely with the expo who was busy, busy all night. What was immediately apparent from talking with them and three or four servers is that they all love what they do and the product that they serve. I will take enthusiasm over technical perfection any day.

The restaurant space is stunning. Just a phenomenal work of craftsmanship. I don't care what the décor is in a restaurant--I'm always there for the food--but the simple, organic feel of Acre is extremely attractive.

Finally, David, thank you for spending so much time with us. What you're doing is near and dear to my heart and I wish you all the success in the world.

Best meal so far of 2014 and one of the few must-visit restaurants on my list.

AcreAuburn, Owner at Acre, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Chef, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife! I am always thankful for the opportunity to cook and receive feedback from other chefs and restaurant owners. I hope that I have the opportunity to make it to One Block West in the future. Best of luck! - David

Reviewed 25 April 2014

One of the newest hot spots in Aub offering upper scale chow. Great ambiance and the potential for an excellent meal. Like so many restaurants in Auburn, it can be hit or miss based on the service. The labor pool typically consists of students, and it is rare to get consistent outstanding service anywhere in town. That said, David Bankcroft has done an outstanding job. He shakes up the menu with creative offerings. And if he is actually in the kitchen, you can be assured of a quality meal.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Opening in August 2013, this is a wonderful surprise for Auburn. The first impression is one that whoever decorated this place had a flair for imagination. It's stunning, but in a subtle way. Next, of course, is the friendly, professional service. Emily, one of the hostesses, and Carter, one of the bartenders, go out of their way to welcome you and make you feel comfortable. What might be a coat and tie affair in a larger city, the Acre is relaxed and a golf shirt and slacks are fine. Finally, the menu and food. David Bancroft, one of the owners and the restaurant's executive chief, has put together fresh, wholesome, locally grown dishes that are suburb. The fish entrees are exceptional, but everything we had, including the appetizer, was delicious. You're in for a pleasant surprise.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

I went due to the recommendation of a coworker. When I arrived, I was seduced by the decor. It is very nice and warm. I took first the rillette as an appetizer, I would say that it is a good one, not as good as you can find in France but a good one for the USA. I took the catch of the day and the fish was well cooked. the only default, the vegetable were not as cooked as they should be, I do not understand the American why they undercook they vagetable, beside that everything was good.

1  Thank Djassfr