“First and only trip to Alaska”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anchor Point
Soaring Eagle Lodge
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina, United States
“First and only trip to Alaska”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

The Good:
My husband and I arrived at Soaring Eagle on a beautiful day. John Burns was waiting for us with a cart to carry all our luggage to the cabin. Music was playing and fresh flowers were on the counter. The refrigerator was stocked with chicken kabobs, steaks, hamburger meat, wine, beer, soda, and all the condiments that you would need. The pantry was well stocked too. The view overlooking Cook Inlet was breathtaking and the sunsets were postcard worthy.
Not so good, but could be fixed easily:
John then went over our schedule for the week. One day was planned with different excursions for my husband (he wanted to go Halibut fishing and I wanted to do a sightseeing cruise). The problem was that my husband had to be in Homer (a 35+ minute drive) at 6 am and I had to be in Homer at 10 am. We asked John if other people were doing any of the same things so that maybe we could coordinate rides, but he said no, everyone had a different schedule. That turned out not to be true. I met a couple from Soaring Eagle on my sightseeing cruise and my husband fished with another guest from Soaring Eagle. There are several cabins (perhaps 7?) and no one had an opportunity to meet and possibly plan to coordinate excursions. This could be easily be corrected if the Soaring Eagle had a meeting place for the guests to talk about what they did or what they had planned.If you stay there, expect a long drive (as much as three hours for us to see Seward and go on the Kenai cruise to see the whales and glaciers) to get anywhere but small stream fishing.
The Ugly;
We booked our stay in March for a late August stay. The first of May, we had a family situation that forced us to cancel our trip. I had flight insurance for the airline, but did not have cancelation insurance for the stay. When I wrote John, he said he would happily refund our money (the initial deposit of $1325 plus a second payment of $1325) if he could rebook. A month later I contacted John and he said that he had two possibilities for booking but that people usually book well in advance. I contacted John five weeks later to ask if the cabin was rebooked. He said that he did not expect at that point to see it booked. That he was sorry. So I asked if we could at least have one of the payments of $1325 back. He wrote back that he 'already lost the second half of your package price' and that an agreement was an agreement. Since he would not give anything back, my husband and I decided to bite the bullet and ask if our reservation was still open. He said it was so we went on the trip. While there, we met a couple who booked at the Soaring Eagle but was placed somewhere else for that week because they were told 'it was overbooked'.

We would never consider going back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carol S

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

The location is the worse. Your driving 60 miles to most anything. Stay on the river and fish from a private dock you will be so much happier and you'll catch fish. Lots of them.
The cabin? You have to walk thru deep gravel for awhile just to get to your cabin. That sux. The light fell off in bathroom in the middle of the night. There wasn't an elecrical box to in the wall ( Like code dictates) just a wire thru a hole in sheetrock. That's real safe. Nothing to mount the light to. Instead of replacing the light John removed it and we had very little light during our stay. It was our fault of course. That's why he didn't replace it till we were packing to leave.
If your going fishing go to a fishing lodge and then you might catch fish. If you do a full day halibut fishing you take a boat ride for 45 minutes, catch your limit in 30 minutes and 45 minute ride back by 11 not a full day you paid for. Very decieving. Or take a combo fish trip. You catch your halibut limit and then Lingcod and then salmon and rock fish. A true full day of catching fish. Not just two halibut. John doesn't offer that. An no advise either. Truely dissappointing. I give it a 2 star because of the view and the nice green grass. But for 8 grand we wanted more then a view with green grass.
John the guy that runs it I give a 2 out of 10. He keeps his grass greenand fills the cabins. In my opinion time to retire.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Justburnit
Middlesex, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

John Burns did a first class job arranging everything for us. Just pick your activities and John takes care of it. The lodges are perfect. Great views, clean and well stocked. Everything went off without a hitch. He had daily schedules that provided directions, time to depart from the lodge, and what to take along. For our first trip to Alaska, it was perfect. Saved us a tremendous amount of planning and research. If your destination is the Kenai peninsula, I can't imagine a better way to go.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Carl B
Auburn, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I agree with the other reviewer that Soaring eagle lodge is Misleading!
I will start out by saying that John and Mary are very nice. As for our trip it was arranged through soaring eagle lodge but we stayed in the Happy Valley Haven cabin across the road . Our trip was arranged as an all inclusive package which was supposed to include the airfare ,car, lodging, food package and 3 tours of our choice. (Atving, salmon fishing and halibut fishing)
We were advised the airfare couldn't go over $500.00 pp so we ended up being charged $45.00 more pp but when we received our fight info we could see the charge of a companion fare that only cost soaring eagle $99.00 for the 2nd ticket. As for the rental car, when I arrived at the anchorage enterprise they told me I would be charged an extra day ($92.58) for returning the car at 5 pm- which I feel should have been taking care of by soaring eagle. I have no complaints about the food package ,it was enough food for just about every day we were in Alaska. The tours that were set up all had different experiences . Atving with dan was really fun our guide even stopped and bought us a coffee before riding-no complaints there! Salmon fishing with john was equally fun although we couldn't keep any salmon that were caught. (see fishing restrictions before planning) my complaint on this was we had to pay $5.00 for parking.
As for the Halibut trip this was so awful! For starters we were supposed to be on a 25 ft boat with only 6 people fishing -since the weather was rough that day they decided to throw 18 people onto a 50 ft boat out of homer which we had to drive to (30 min away) There were so many people fishing you were elbow to elbow and my fiancé caught other peoples lines for hours. I decided not to fish until almost everyone else had caught there limit which was 4 hours in . The crew filleted out our fish and did leave some bones. This package also included packaging of our fish and airline approved box for travel home. The fish was frozen and after 13 hours to get home was still frozen. :) If I hade it all over to do again I would have chosen to plan it all on my own. sorry soaring eagle not lodge.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trish_206
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

"Soaring Eagle Lodge" is a bit misleading because what you are booking is an experience! We did not stay in a "lodge" and I'm not sure if there is a lodge, but what we rented was a fabulous cottage with three bedrooms, two full baths and a lovely kitchen, living area with fireplace, TV, table for dining, and a laundry room. The front porch has beautiful views of the mountains and bay. We arrived the end of July and stayed until Aug 4th, flying into Anchorage and driving about four hours which goes by so fast with the breathtaking views along the way. John Burns, manager will take care of everything from food in the fridge to finding the best activity for your interests and abilities, and budget. We spent the week going to the Ididarod Kennel and tour, salmon fishing on the river, kayaking on the bay, and taking an ocean cruise to see Holgate Glacier. I will add reviews for those in attractions. I would highly recommend seeing Alaska from one home base and going out on day trips. We loved it! If Soaring Eagle was a bit closer to Homer or other town, it would make the trip perfect, but some also like a secluded spot and this fits that. Clean, modern and comfortable would describe this place!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Brenda M
Milford, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

My 17yr old son and I wanted to go on an adventure together; with self directed activities to keep us busy, but enough "down-time" to relax and enjoy Alaska on our own. We found it at John Burn's "Soaring Eagle Lodge". The accomodations were outstanding: immaculate "cottages" that were packed full of the comforts of home (clean comfy beds, a gas fireplace, full kitchen, a gas grill onthe deck with the knock-out view). John and his folks took care of all the paperwork and arrangements; from horseback riding to fly-out fishing and bear viewing - we had our pick and they made it happen. No pressure, no stress, no issues. We went hiking and exploring Homer on our "off" days - it was perfect!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Ktina49
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

We stayed here for our 20th wedding anniversary, and our cottage was well above our expectations. Originally we were to stay in the one bedroom cottage, but it was the end of the season, and we were upgraded to the two bedroom cottage in the newest building. This cottage had all new appliances, including a washer and dryer. There is also an on-site guest washer and dryer facility for the cottages that do not have a washer and dryer inside. One of the bedrooms is a loft with large windows to let in a lot of light. Our cottage was beautiful, it is right across the inlet from Mount Redoubt, and is high on a bluff. It is so quiet at night you can't hear any sound at all...no traffic, airport noise...nothing! John and Mike provide the best service...they arrange all your excursions for you, and you receive detailed instructions about your trip, as detailed as what time you should leave to be there on time, what to bring with you, tips for being outdoors, etc. We had an issue with one trip provider where we were due a refund, and John took care of it for us. Mike gave us some great ideas about where to go in our spare time, and the best restaurants in the area.

The location is convenient if you have a rental car. We were three hours from Seward, 30 minutes from Homer, and a little more than an hour from Soldotna and Coopers Landing. There is so much to do in this area for sportsman and nature lovers alike. The dining in the area is unbelieveable, so much fresh, local seafood.

I cannot say enough good things about our stay, it was perfect, and we would recommend Soaring Eagle to everyone.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
No photo provided
Knob Hill Guest House
#3 of 3 in Anchor Point
The Alaska Beach House

Been to Soaring Eagle Lodge? Share your experiences!