“Perfect Lodge for an Alaska Adventure!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Anchor Point
Soaring Eagle Lodge
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The Soaring Eagle Lodge was the perfect base camp for our first trip to Alaska. The 3-bedroom cottage was spacious, comfortable, spotlessly clean, and fully stocked with food, drinks, towels, paper goods, washer/dryer, and coolers. We unpacked and settled right in. The view from our porch was spectacular and changed every day with the weather! One afternoon, I sat on the porch for a short while and saw two eagles go soaring by on the wind right above the bluff! No false advertising at the Soaring Eagle Lodge!! :)

John and Mary made our trip planning easy from the first contact. As the one in our family who does all the planning and coordinating, I especially appreciated the attention to detail and documentation provided by both John and Mary! They helped me choose our list of adventures and then handled all of the scheduling. A complete, printed itinerary was waiting in our cabin. For each adventure, John provided directions, driving time, time to check-in, and suggestions on what to take and what to wear. Every detail was spot-on. He provided coolers and a thermos for carrying lunch, and large tubs to hold slimy fish after fishing. Fish processing was included in the price and the place that handled this (Tanner's) was conveniently located and very efficient. The folks there were friendly and had all of our fish split into three airplane-ready boxes at the scheduled pick-up time on our last day. My box made it safely to Florida and we've had both halibut and salmon for dinner this week!

John greeted us when we arrived and said goodbye when we departed. When he hadn't heard from us after our first few days (because everything was perfect!), he stopped by to check on us and ensure us he was there to assist with any needs we may have. He was the perfect host!

Our adventures were excellent! I highly recommend the Flyout Salmon Fishing and the Halibut fishing. The Kenai Fjords Glacier/Wildlife cruise was absolutely worth the long drive to Seward. The Backcountry Canoeing was beautiful and serene, and the we thoroughly enjoyed the Sled Dog Tour and ride. My 87-year-old mother-in-law was along on the trip and every single guide and pilot helped her in and out of planes, boats, and dog sleds. She had a ball! (I will be posting a separate review of each adventure provider on TripAdvisor.)

Thank you, John and Mary, for providing us with such a perfect Alaska adventure!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Doris M

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I planned this trip to celebrate my wife's 60th birthday. After conducting some extensive research on multiple lodges and resorts, I initially chose Soaring Eagle. From my first email contact with John to a long discussion about the lodge and associated other offerings, it made the decision to stay are Soaring Eagle easy. John and Mary made us feel welcome before we even agreed to vacation at the lodge. John was extremely helpful in assisting us in selecting the activities we would engage in once arriving. They take care of everything, from flights, to rental cars. The one bedroom cottage we stayed in was nice with an amazing view of Cook's inlet. Once arriving at the lodge we were met in the parking lot by Drew who brought our luggage and gear to the cabin. John then provided a walkthrough, The cabin was nicely furnished and John provides a stocked pantry and fridge. John checked in on us several times during the week to ensure everything was satisfactory, but other than that, we were left alone to enjoy our vacation. Because we were able to build a personalized itinerary, there were no hidden costs or surprises. All we had to do is show up at the selected venues. My wife and I have traveled and stayed in many places and from our experience Soaring Eagle ranks as one of the best. If you are looking for glitz and glamour, Soaring Eagle is not the place you want to stay, but if you are looking for a comfortable laid back environment that allows you to truly unwind and enjoy Alaska, I do not think you can find a better place for the value offered. My wife and I are looking forward to retuning to Soaring Eagle on another vacation.

Room Tip: Not a hotel, but all of the cottages offer great views of Cooks Inlet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Larry C
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Soaring Eagle Lodge provides a unique Alaska experience. The accommodations exceed expectations and surpass most others offered in the area. The cottages are beautiful, clean, and have all the conveniences you could ask for. The view of the Cook Inlet and Mountains Iliamna and Redoubt are breathtakingly alluring. Enjoying the peacefulness of the grounds and watching the eagles is an experience in itself. A first-time visitor to Alaska would find it difficult at best to put together a trip like this. From the moment you book, everything is taken care of. The convenience of having your itinerary planned for you in advance is invaluable. John works with the best adventure providers. These people are professional, reasonable, and seem to really enjoy what they do. Any adventure you choose guarantees a great time. John and his staff are extraordinary at what they do. I would not hesitate to visit Soaring Eagle again.

Room Tip: These are individual cottages/vacation homes with different floor plans. You are asked during the c...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Sometimes a trip can be so good that there aren't words to do it justice. This was one of them. The cabins are nice, the view spectacular, John oversees everything. If you go be sure to do the float plane to see the bears. Know your fishing regulations on the rivers. Be sure to have back up batteries for all the pictures you'll be taking. Aldo be sure to go to Anchor Point to get some beautiful pictures of eagles.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jan K
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My husband and I planned this trip to celebrate our 30th anniversary. From the initial contact with John at Soaring Eagle, the planning process was handled with extreme professionalism, with attention to even the smallest detail. Our itinerary was customized to meet our wants and needs, and well within our budget. Our schedule included, halibut fishing, flightseeing and salmon fishing, kayaking, rafting, canoeing, just to name a few adventures. One adventure that John highly recommended was the horseback riding. Reluctantly, we took his advise. Let me just say, don't miss out on the horseback riding! The guide, Mark, made this one of the most memorable days of our whole trip. John had the cottage equiped with everything that we needed for the daily excursions, from the food to the cooler and fish boxes. I honestly cannot think of anything that I would have changed about out trip. I highly recommend John Burns and Soaring Eagle for your Alaska Adventure!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I've dreamed of going to Alaska for a long time and generally that spells trouble for me. My dreamed expectations don't meet reality and I'm somewhat disappointed. This is NOT the case here. My expectations were exceeded and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. The cabin was very clean, the view spectacular and well stocked with food for the week. All requested adventures were well planned out with an itinerary of each days activities provided upon my arrival. Truly worry/stress free.

Room Tip: Choose the cabin with the laundry facilities!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 July 2014

John and his staff made our first trip to Alaska truly memorable! We spent 2 weeks at Soaring Eagle Lodge. John and Mary had taken our adventure selections and made them happen efficiently and easily. Nothing was left to chance. This was so much better than trying to figure out day by day what we would like to do and then try to make the arrangements. The cottage was so comfortable and the kitchen was fully stocked with food. So we only had to add our personal touch. On days when we had nothing planned, John was very helpful in guiding us. So we never had a day where we didn't know what to do or where to go. Quiet Drew was always around if we needed anything. When we went to Tanners to have our fish packaged they treated us like royalty and were very clear about their loyalty to John. Our fishing guides said the same. Even the car rental was glitch free. Apart from things not in John's control we couldn't have had a better time. It would have been nice to have a bath tub to help with the sore muscles. (This is not your quiet laid back vacation!) And perhaps a TV in the living room for the occasional down time. But these were minor.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a fabulous view. #5 does not have a TV in the living room.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Been to Soaring Eagle Lodge? Share your experiences!