“Don't stay here!”

Motel 6 Apache Junction
Motel 6 Apache Junction
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Apache Junction
Reviewed 2 February 2013

Not having checked out hotels on Tripadvisor prior to our stop in Apache Junction, we stopped at the 1st hotel we saw off the interstate. I should have turned around as soon as i walked into the lobby. Bad odor. Desk fellow was nice enough, showed me a room. Figured it would do. Negative thot's: very rough towels, no complimentary newspaper, bed so-so, not a clean room, cluttered lobby, breakfast? one small funky tray for my hubby's food (very limited poor choices) and I had to find a plate in the small kitchen cupboard and rinse it off before i could eat anything! teensy cups for cold cereal. only positive about our stay: good coffee. we were given a "deal" for the room. $79 + taxes. Total paid: $92 and some change. A $2.50 utility tax added to the rate and taxes. weird charge.
I heard the next day in Globe (at a VERY decent Days Inn) that the Inn was formerly a Super 8. And that Super 8 would not re-up this hotel's franchise. What does that tell us?

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank M S

Reviewed 24 January 2013

As you step into the lobby you are greeted with a unpleasant odour. When we got to our room the smell just got worse. We had to change rooms because the sink wouldn't drain. The second room was just as filthy and smelly as the first one. When we tried to take a shower in the morning I discovered that the shower head was not connected to the plumbing. The only alternative was to take a bath in a dirty bathtub. We had booked two nights and decided to leave after one. It was better to lose $90.00 than to stay one more night. I would not recommend this hotel to my pet dog.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank rmfont
Reviewed 26 December 2012

Hotel staff was very nice and the room was clean. Breakfast was OK. Common rooms in the hotel were not air conditioned. Our trip was in December and even then the lobby was too warm. The A/C unit in the room was very noisy, and you could hear every move the people above you made. Overall it was decent for the price and I will probably stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Made reservations by phone and then cancelled by phone on morning of anticipated arrival, advising of too ill to make the trip. At neither time did the reservationist advise of the no refund policy. No easily apparent policy found on website. When questioning the posting on our credit card statement, they apologized but said could not credit due to 'already in computer'. Do not book this hotel chain.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

I stayed with my mom for an Anniversary. My uncle who lives in area suggested it, the owners we found out have changed so it is not the same like my uncle thought. His daughter attempted to stay in one room with no bathroom door or shower curtain. There was a crazy smell in the hotel and rooms. We did stay one night then moved to a different hotel in Mesa. This place is old, gross and plain stinky. When checking into another hotel they referred to it as the meth hotel. Stay away!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Schell75
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I'm not sure what the big deal is, this place was clearly an attempt at pleasing the horror movie buffs. As you enter, you are greeted by 4 or 5 life-sized dolls of children hiding in various corners as if counting for hide-and-seek (Child's Play, here's Chucky!). The hallways smelled of rotting eggs, which was admittedly a poor attempt at split pea soup (The Exorcist) but well appreciated for the attempt. The blood stain on the carpet gave it a Shining-esque appeal, but they needed to install an old elevator for blood to flood out of. For those who want to find religion, they even offer a Buddha statue in the parking lot, right next to the wild west wagons and the trailer hauling old junker cars (maybe a tip of the hat to Christine?).
The patch-work carpet repairs and cigarette burns were flawed though, along with the rock hard bed (maybe like being a sacrifice to a pagan god on a rock altar?), I can't think of what movie that may be for. I wanted to pull up the carpet repair to see if I could maybe find a beating heart but I didn't have the money to be charged extra since after fees, you pay 90 per night.
The front desk will rent your room out to someone else when they have no other bookings or cars in the lot and take 15 minutes to figure out how to check you in, with 5 calls to the manager who lives on site (read the 5 star review about "so nice I moved in!" and guess who wrote that one...). Loved the scrap metal collector who would pull up each day and park his crap across 4 spaces, leaving even fewer spots to park in of their 15 total spots, minus the ones taken by the junker car trailer, but they were empty when we went so parking still won't be an issue.
Also, check in at 3am and expect room service to be walking through your door at 9 asking why you haven't checked out yet (check out is at 11, NOT 12 as listed on this site) even though you booked a second night.

Room Tip: Bring gasoline and matches
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Joe W
Reviewed 30 July 2012

I do agree with other reviewers who say that the person at the front desk is rude and really customer service is terrible. She first put us in a room that smelled like old smoke although it was supposed to be non-smoking. And the TV didn't work. She then wanted to move us across the hall next to a room with a screaming baby. I told her I wanted to be down the hall a bit and she said that the air wasn't on. I told her I would turn the air on and it would be fine. She then called to say "I know you are hot in there". I said it was fine. She was just very strange. Our room was actually not terrible - didn't feel dirty or really worn but the common areas are just bizarre. And breakfast is bad -

If you have a choice, I would not suggest this hotel - the price was right and it was tolerable but not really what I would call a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2 mi away
Best Western Apache Junction Inn
Best Western Apache Junction Inn
#1 of 2 in Apache Junction

Been to Motel 6 Apache Junction? Share your experiences!