“Subpar Mexican food and crappy Margaritas, but the carpet is sure clean”

Manny's Mexican Restaurant
Ranked #57 of 143 Restaurants in Avondale
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Victoria, British Columbia
“Subpar Mexican food and crappy Margaritas, but the carpet is sure clean”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Went here for dinner and drinks with a group of 8 after golf. Had a 99 cent Margarita and all I can say about it, is there's a reason it's 99 cents -- pure garbage. Ditto for tequila shots for our buddy's birthday. Undrinkable. Most of the boys took a taste sip before tossing the shot back and decided that it was best not consumed as violent group vomiting likely would have resulted. I ordered beef tacos for dinner and got some sort of unidentifiable white fish that had been mercilessly over cooked. Absolutely awful and painfully dry and bland. The best part of the dish was the dry supposedly Mexican rice and re fried beans. Most of the boys ordered the fajitas with a skillet of beef, prawns, onions and peppers that they enjoyed, so obviously I ordered the wrong thing. The room and ambiance is quaint and dive like, but it did have a decent outdoor bar and patio. They also take great pride in keeping the carpet clean as it was being continuously vacuumed during our 2 hour visit. Looked to have been done 3 or 4 times over! Happy Cinqo de Mayo! Place was pretty dead too. Our service was excellent however, except for the screw up with my order. I was afraid to complain or send it back though as our waiter looked like the Mexican version of the terminator at about 6'3" 250 pounds. I have eaten Mexican food in many places in the States, Canada and Mexico and can't recall ever having such bad tacos. My homemade Old El Pasos put these to shame! And for that matter so does Taco Time, Taco Del Mar and Taco Bell! I'm in no hurry to ever return, but if forced at gunpoint or threat of grievous bodily harm, I would order the beef and prawn fajitas next time and avoid the Margaritas and tequila. You've been warned!

• Visited May 2014

“Food tasted like it was frozen and then warmed up”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

My husband and I wanted to try this place out with our Groupon we had purchased. We went and thought it was a quaint, cute little place from the outside. I had already read the reviews, and most of them weren't good, but I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt and try it out for ourselves. We were immediately seated upon arriving, and although the place was pretty empty when we got there, we were placed at a booth right by the restrooms. I could smell the bathroom air freshener from where I sat. Our order was taken, and we started with a chimichanga appetizer. This tasted ok, but seemed as though it was frozen and then thrown into a deep fryer. It was served with a tiny scoop of sour cream, guac, and lettuce. I should have enjoyed this because it was about to get worse. I ordered a charade beer and it was served in a glass that had some sort of imprint on the bottom, so every time I would set the glass down, it would wobble and seemed like it was going to fall over. The drink tasted ok, I mean how can you go wrong with something that's canned? When our meals arrived, my husband's fajitas came out steaming hot off the press, just the way he likes em. The meal was pretty pricey and he was only served tortillas with it. VERY greasy tortillas. This was strange. He had to ask where his rice, beans, sour cream and ect. Were. The waitress said she had to check to see what his meal came with and promptly, he was served with what he was supposed to have. He said the meat tasted really weird. But I told him it looked good though and he kept reassuring me it was not good. When my order arrived (a taco, tomale, rice, beans), I was very curious what the red tomale was that I ordered. It looked like a red cheese enchilada. No big deal, until I bit into it! It tasted like dog food. I couldn't even find the meat and when I did, it tasted like it just dissolved in my mouth. And the "masa" was not masa. I have no idea what mushy stuff it was. I have never had a tomale like that. Anyhow, I moved onto my rice and I was getting ready to take a bite, a long black hair was sitting mixed in with the cheese and beans. I immediately and kindly brought it to their attention. Before they took my plate, I was examining my taco, which looked like a scimpy taco bell taco. A tiny bit of ground beef, a couple pieces of lettuce and a few pieces of cheese. My new plate arrived, AFTER my husband finished his meal, and the quality of the food was exactly the same, but without the hair. And this time, for some reason, I was given a shredded beef taco instead of a ground beef taco that I had prior. Mystery meat? Or was it mixed with ground beef? Not sure. But this taco was dripping with a ton of grease!! Wow. Anyhow, we ate what we could and was looking for some water to wash it down with, low and behold, our glasses had never been refilled. Plates that should have been taken long ago were still sitting on the table. The waitress seemed very inexperienced. We received our bill and I informed the waitress that my groupon code was on my phone. Well rather than her getting a pad to right the code down, she just takes my phone into the back and gives it to another girl who then takes it to the front, and I'm just sitting there dumbfounded that they're just walking all over the place with my phone. No table side manners. As we were waiting for them to get our Groupon issue figured out, we were looking around at the few people who had entered the restaurant here and there while we were eating. The crowd was all Caucasian people. I thought to myself, these people probably don't even know any better and think that this is what Mexican food is supposed to taste like. I hope one day they get to see what the authentic Mexican food tastes like. It will flip their world upside down. I am not Mexican myself, but I know good Mexican food. I hate to leave such an awful review, and was really hoping for a much better experience, so I could leave a great review for this restaurant, but unfortunately, we were not given that experience and the quality of food is severely lacking.

• Visited December 2013
3 Thank Hygiene14
Goodyear, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“using a coupon seems that we were punished”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

we went to Mannys for the first time yesterday, the food was ok. I purchased a Groupon coupon for $20 for $40 in food. I took my husband and two daughters. in the groupon you were to advise the server before you ordered. My husband ordered a fajita dinner and i ordered a Chimichanga, and the girls had the special of 2 tacos a $6 value. The service was nice, since we were the only patrons in the restaurant. The server said just order a burrito and I will make it a chimichanga. My husband also ordered an extra order of two taco special,because he was really unsure of what he ordered because the server spoke little english. WHEN....we recieved the bill i fell over, no mind you no liquor was included for this lunch. 76.00 yep thats right! We were charged $1.50 extra x2 for a small bowl of sour creme because two people used this an order of guacamole that was added to our plate that we didnt ask for.the two taco special didnt come with the rice and was not charged the special lunch price, but instead was charged 3.25 a taco! My husband didnt want to question him, we just paid the bill and won't be returning. I dont want to go somewhere that i have to ask do you charge for everything on my plate separately. I will stick to Manuels, much better food and pricing!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank donna l
Avondale, Arizona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

Food is just ok....I have had better. Way over priced food for what you get. It seems all the restaurants in the area are charging $2.50 to $3 for drinks that is outrageous. The person taking out order was speed talking I had her repeat 3 times still had no idea what she said. Seats were hard. Restaurant looks clean. Friendly place very quiet not many customers. Been there 3 times same experience each time nothing to brag about.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank me y
Glendale
“Not on My Return List”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2013

This was a 30 minute drive from home, which in Phoenix, is a distance. The chips & salsa were good. I ordered the sampler, so try a little of a few things. I'm unsure if it was the meat or the maybe the grease the tacos were fried in, but something smelled bad. It didn't taste bad thought. I ordered the fried ice cream for dessert. My boyfriend ordered the churro sundae. The FIC wasn't anything special. The churro sundae was scoops of ice cream with a halved churro stuck in the glass.

• Visited May 2013