“Top notch food without the drive”
Review of Cafe 14 - CLOSED

Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Reyes Adobe
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Food:
Incredible. The menu is eclectic and always changing but the one constant is that the quality is excellent and nearly every dish is a great value (meaning no nickel and diming and the portions sizes are the right size). Specific dishes that come to mind (menu changes): tuna tartare, braised short rib, chateaubriand, shrimp pastas. And leave room for the desserts - they are excellent and all homemade!

Service:
The service has only gotten better over the years as they have developed people and its become a place where professional servers want to work. Huge props here as it used to be a weaker point

Drinks:
Substantial wine list at mostly reasonable prices - some wines better and some worse - plus a full bar. Friendly corkage policy waives a charge for every bottle purchased

Overall:
Undoubtedly, this is one of the best restaurants in the area and contends well with some of the best throughout Los Angeles. The location and outside appearance may make you consider what you're doing here but once you are inside, you will be whisked away and well taken care of. Note that this is great for a couple or adult friends - younger couples not willing to spend good money for great food and people with kids may not enjoy it as much.

1  Thank jajorden

Reviewed 2 October 2013

cafe 14 is a great find in a small shopping center in Agoura. do not be discouraged, it is a perfect find. we had the best table on the patio for 8 people, in a quiet corner. the restaurant also has a formal dinning. Bread Service is great and loaded with 3 kinds of bread, oils and spices. the soups were outstanding - cauliflower curry and a butternut squash soup. the pasta is home made and rich especially the seafood offering. Order the scallops and shrimp with cheddar grits, a great southern style dish. My wife thought the NY strip steak au pouvre was outstanding. Thick and cooked perfectly with fries.
Desserts were finely presented and the profiter rolls were warm and served with hot chocolate and Carmel sauce. they have a $20 corkage fee and decant wines for you. parking is a snap, right in the center. Be alert - Cafe 14 is expensive given the location about $50 per person without drinks and wine.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This restaurant has been in the area for a while but we just "discovered" it. It's tucked into the back of a nondescript shopping center on a freeway frontage road. Inside, however, it is charming. They also have an enclosed patio area. The food was first rate. I had the duck and it was near perfection, served with an interesting, tangy slaw. My husband and brother-in-law had the short ribs and my sister-in-law's had pasta were both entrees were reviewed in glowing terms. The highlight, for me, were the deserts. Three in our party shared the homemade peach cobbler (fresh peaches, of course) and I had a scoop of the homemade mint girl scout cookie ice cream. That was the first time I ever had mint ice cream that was made with real mint and not extract. It was wonderful. This is not an inexpensive place to eat (about $200.00, with wine, for the 4 of us) but will become an event destination for our family in the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Hidden in a little strip mall in agoura hills is a gem. The food is creative and flavorfull, the place is small( especially the bar) but the ambiance and service makes for a grand evening. Chef neil leaves no stone unturned by coming up new fresh and delious dishes.

1  Thank Chefboo3
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Lovely bistro we found while visiting on husband's business (and my pleasure). Husband needed to find something nice to meet co-worker for dinner and this restaurant popped up with excellent reviews. We called for a reservation a few hours ahead and had no problem getting in on a busy Sunday evening. The place wasn't packed, but was fairly full. Small, intimate with white table cloths and banquette seating on the inside. Noticed a patio with seating, but did not view the area. We were seated quickly. Our drink orders were taken by a very professional, almost austere waiter (I hesitate to use snobbish, but that was what his demeanor exuded). We declined appetizers and went straight for the entrees. I ordered the salmon, which was served beautifully on top of a crunchy polenta cake. The cake wasn't exactly crunchy, but it was very good nevertheless. My husband ordered the BLT salad with one of their small plate choices of local organic sausage. He enjoyed it but did not feel it was extraordinary. Our guest ordered the halibut and was very complimentary of the dish and the presentation on the plate was very nice as well. We ordered one dessert to share. I had been craving peaches and there was a peach cobbler on the menu which came a la mode. Cafe 14 is apparently known for their homemade ice cream. The ice cream was very good, as well as the peaches, but I was looking for some crust with the cobbler, which was non-existent on our plate. Service and food were good, although service seemed somewhat curt. However, we would like to try this cafe again on another visit. I notice that they are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays, so be aware of that if you are making plans to dine here during the week.

1  Thank vaustin08