“Our Favorite Place in the Thousand Oaks Area”
Review of Cafe 14 - CLOSED

Dining options: Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Reyes Adobe
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We went to Cafe 14 for my birthday - it's one of our favorites.

The Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area is blessed to have a great variety of restaurants, including quite a few that are excellent. Cafe 14 is as good as any in the area, IMHO.

We ordered a moderately priced bottle of white Bordeaux to accompany our main course of haddock in a panko crust over fresh vegetables. My wife has allergies to dairy, so accommodations were made in this dish and in creating a dessert from scratch for her. I had an espresso float, cold espresso over vanilla ice cream with whipped cream, nuts and dark chocolate chunks over top. Wonderful.

The service is excellent - not really formal, but very professional and friendly, which we like.

I look forward to our next visit, which will be soon.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

Four of us came here for dinner, as we have a number of times before. It is amazing to know that Neal and Claudine began as catering chefs. I was fortunate to find them here shortly after they opened years ago. Their evolution has been just that an evolution. From day one the food has been worthy of returning. The have evolved into one of the best restaurants in Los Angeles proper. I began with the Three pepper shrimp. They give you really plump and delicious shrimp. Not tiny dried out morels like some restaurants. Spiced with nice flavors and moist. There were five of these beauties. Tonight we had for the first time the Gravlax which they marinate themselves. I only wish they would serve more, but it was great with the crème fresh. One of us had the filet which I did not taste but it was cooked perfectly, medium rare. My fiend loved it. Her husband had the Lamb Porterhouse which he thought could have been larger. It was also cooked just right. My wife had the chicken which I did taste. It was moist and scrumptious. Very lightly breaded and spiced. The Caramelized Brussel Sprouts were particularly perfect tonight, not over breaded, nor heavy. Great!!! I had the veal chop, which I must come for every time they serve it as the evening special. They do know how to cook it, medium rare. I have the burgundy sauce with it, a perfect accompaniment. The slightly peppered rice was delicious with the veal chop. My favorite part of eating the veal is scraping the last meat off the bone at the end. My wife wishes that I did not do that but I cannot resist. This is Bistro food at its best. If you are close at all you must come. Be sure to make a reservation ahead or you will miss out. It is a bargain for the quality and quantity that you receive. The service is very attentive and knowledgeable. You do not have to ask for water, they anticipate your every need. Alyson is great!!! They have really appropriate wine glasses and wine service.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We enjoyed the ambience and our meal at Cafe 14. It is great food and at a good value.
We bought a bottle at Wade's wine ( if you spend more than 25 bucks on a bottle they stick a label on it upon request and you can use that bottle at Cafe 14 among other local restaurants ) and our old vine Zinfandel paired very well with the food. The service was five star and the food was eclectic and surprising.
Would recommend this local find with pleasure.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

My wife and I search out quiet, relaxing and romantic dinners with great ambience, superb food and excellent service. We AVOID (like the plague) SCREAMING BABIES, TANTRUM TODDLERS or FAMILIES with MANNERS OF THE NEANDERTHAL ERA!!! We AVOID SPORT BARS with DRUNKEN and YELLING SPORT FOOLS and LOUD, ANNOYING 'MUSIC" that has BASS NOTES THAT SHAKE THE WALLS!. Fortunately for us, Cafe 14 is a RARE OASIS of decency and excellence, a restaurant that offers fine dining that only found in the past!

This is the one we pick as the best for couples or a group of four that enjoy great food and intimate conversation. All dinners on the menu are carefully prepared by experience of the chef. The drinks and wine are the best. The service is the best. We sit at the same table, sometimes engage the next table in conversation. The server, Allison, knows us and our favorite dishes. Even the busboy is pleasant and courteous!

The soups are wonderful, homemade. The dishes have perfect portions and presented beautifully. Even the deserts are tempting (Claudine's homemade ice cream).

NO..this is NOT for families with children. The "kids" do not appreciate this gem of a restaurant.
NO..this is NOT for large groups that become rowdy, loud or rude affecting other patrons.
It's for couples and friends who appreciate this Jewel of Agoura Hills!

3  Thank Halstargazer
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Food:
Incredible. The menu is eclectic and always changing but the one constant is that the quality is excellent and nearly every dish is a great value (meaning no nickel and diming and the portions sizes are the right size). Specific dishes that come to mind (menu changes): tuna tartare, braised short rib, chateaubriand, shrimp pastas. And leave room for the desserts - they are excellent and all homemade!

Service:
The service has only gotten better over the years as they have developed people and its become a place where professional servers want to work. Huge props here as it used to be a weaker point

Drinks:
Substantial wine list at mostly reasonable prices - some wines better and some worse - plus a full bar. Friendly corkage policy waives a charge for every bottle purchased

Overall:
Undoubtedly, this is one of the best restaurants in the area and contends well with some of the best throughout Los Angeles. The location and outside appearance may make you consider what you're doing here but once you are inside, you will be whisked away and well taken care of. Note that this is great for a couple or adult friends - younger couples not willing to spend good money for great food and people with kids may not enjoy it as much.

1  Thank jajorden