“Good Value”

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I've stayed here many times over the past 10 years. It is nothing fancy, but is usually clean & comfortable. It's location is convenient with shops & restaurants within walking distance. At our most recent stay, we were disturbed until about 3:00 am by people yelling in the parking lot and apt. complex across from the rooms. A very noisy night with cars coming and going, and people yelling at each other. Very sleepless night!

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the parking lot that adjoins the apartment complex!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BusyLady45

Reviewed 25 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel for three days in November 2013. Yes, it's an older hotel, but it's been taken care of well. They have a free breakfast, but I never needed it -- it's close to Park Street, so I went to local places nearby to eat instead.

It's across the street from the South Shore Center, which is full of places to eat and play around in. It's a very easy walk to get there.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank April W
Reviewed 20 December 2013

We stayed at the Coral Reef from 12-14-2013 to 12-18-2013. This is an older hotel (like most of the reviewers have said), so first of all you must come without the expectation of granite countertops and brand new everything. The rooms are very large, comfortable, and clean. The bathroom was also very clean, and there was always hot water for our showers. There were two queen beds that were ok -- not terribly comfortable, but we slept ok. The pillows were not the fluffiest either -- but again, we slept ok. For the money we paid, we got a very pleasant room (overlooking their well-kept garden and pool area), a TV, and a small kitchen with microwave, fridge, and stove! Yes, the hotel could use a little updating, some new carpeting, a little painting. But all in all, I would say this place is value for money. Ask for Room 204. Oh . . . and the staff were extremely accomodating. We were in town to celebrate a couple of family birthdays, and we will come back and stay here again. Also, directly across the street there is a large shopping center with drug stores, cleaners, Trader Joe's, Safeway, Kohls, See's Candies, etc etc. All within easy walking distance. PLUS, you've got the bay a block away! What's not to like?!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank camamare
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

The staff was very friendly throughout our visit but the hotel is very old. It's nice to have your own kitchen but they don't supply anything for it - no utensils, plates, not even paper towels or dish soap. It was also nice to have a separate bedroom for us while the kids slept in the living room. The hotel also provided a roll-away as well as the sofa bed so my kids didn't have to share. We were visiting family in Alameda one mile away so the location was great but I don't think I would stay here as a vacation get-away. If you just need function and location then its fine. And again, people were very nice. Every time there was an issue (keys stopped working, heater broke, etc) they took care of it immediately. Also be warned if there is a home Raider game the place turns into Raider Nation so don't wear any opposing jerseys :-)

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank Fran S
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Wow where do I start. My husband and I planed a trip to San Fran and staying at the Coral Reef. Upon check in Sunil (very nice and friendly man at the front desk) upgraded our room to a suite right on the lagoon room 132. The accommodations were fantastic, the rooms were clean, we had a king size bed, full kitchen and a great view of the lagoon from our private balcony. It was more like a one bedroom apartment (2 ac/heater units one in the living room and one in the bedroom). They have donuts and coffee and oj in the mornings. Across the street is a mall with all sort of stores and places to eat. Took us 20 min to get into San Francisco (across the bay bridge which has a $5 toll no biggie). We got to the Coral Reef on a Friday and were leaving on Monday...well we like it so much we went to the front desk and saw Joyce and payed for one more day so we left on Tuesday. It is a little outdated but that made it feel more homey. If you like to feel comfortable and really relax after a day in the city this is the place to do it. If you are more in to modern stuffy places you wont like it here. We had a great time and plan on returning in the future. Thank you Coral Reef Inn & Suites for a great time.

Room Tip: try to get a lagoon room. Was really quiet on that side and not far from the pool area.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 137Marz2009
Reviewed 13 November 2013

The best thing about this hotel is its location: close to the main shopping/restaurant district in Alameda and a short drive to the Oakland airport (much easier to deal with than the SF airport). We stayed here our last night before departure in the executive suite (Room 131). It was huge and reasonably priced. The bedroom had 1 queen bed and 1 twin bed. There was a sleeper sofa in the living room, complete kitchen facilities (though poorly stocked- 1 set of plates and silverware and 1 trash can were provided), and a patio outside. There's lots of cabinet space, a full table, fridge, closet space- this could function as an extended stay or would be great for a large group. The main problem (for some) is that the place is outdated. The building is 1960s style outside (which is cool), but the interior looks like the last remodel was in the early 1980s. It's a little rough around the edges and has the old style TVs (fine with me cause it was clean). For those needing premium linens, modern decor and flat screen TVs- look elsewhere. If you don't care about these, this is a great value.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor for less noise exposure.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KatieNM
Reviewed 11 November 2013

My wife and I stayed there last weekend. The place is clean, but a bit outdated. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. For example, when I got home, I realized that I left my designer jeans and 3 of my favorite shirts. I called the Coral Reef and spoke with Joyce. Talk about great service. Joyce located the clothes that I had left in my room. On her day off, Joyce went to UPS and had my clothes sent to me!!! I can't say enough good about her.
So, the Coral Reef is a bit outdated, but the service is fantastic! It's conveniently located and the room was very large and spacious.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Steve O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
Executive Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!