“Booked on Hotwire for $69..Worth it.”

Coral Reef Inn & Suites
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Reviewed 4 November 2009

The location is out of the way for some but not if you know the area. It is across the street from a great shopping center and across the street from the San Francisco Bay Alameda Beach. That makes it worth the money right there.

The room and bathroom were very large. Pleasant. Not sparkiing new but not a dump either. Clean. Good location for a night or two.

Thats it.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank qtrready

Reviewed 21 September 2009

Stayed over night for my 25 year High school reunion. The hotel is an older property but it is a great value. It was minutes away from the venue for the reunion mixer right across the street from a large shopping center with two grocery stores and many eateries. When I checked in the staff directed me to the communial utensil pantry should I have need of it, they asked me if I needed internet and provided me with an ethernet cable so I could use it. The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The sofa bed was actually superisingly comfortable as sofa beds go ... the cross support could be felt but that is true of every sofa bed I have ever slept on including the one at the Disneyland hotel. They do not have an elevator but knowing that going in and knowing I'd be checking in solo I called ahead and asked if could have a downstairs room, and that's exactly what I got. Staff was very helpful and appreciative of my business. Like I said I'd go back.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 May 2009

your hotel was run down, in need of cosmetics as well as appeared dirty. The lobby was really nasty looking.As for the room well if that is rated clean I have to be blind.. walked across the carpet in the room bare footed and my feet were black on the bottom... had to pull out the dresser to retrieve my tube of lipstick and the dirt I saw as years of collection.. allowed one wash cloth per day and the bed should of been replaced years ago it was the worst I have ever encountered.. This hotel is run down and is badly in need of up dating.. the room must have a high degree of mold in the room as I am highly allergic to such and I enjoyed a severe headach all the time I was in the room.. Locaation is good I guess but not much else. aagain I have to stick to my rating rule, nothing under a 3 star but maybe California is different. Other memebers of the wedding party stayed there too and had the same opinion.. it wasn't just me.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank Ginger1000
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We recently spent 4 nights at the Coral Reef Inn in Alameda, Ca. We went to the Bay Area to visit with family and friends, and to play tourist in San Francisco. The hotel came recommended by my sister-in-law. It's an older property, but has been updateded and was very clean. After booking a room with 2 queen beds & a "kitchenette" for $80/night, I called back two more times to double-check the rates, because it was so cheap! When we arrived, our room wasn't ready, and the young woman at the front desk was very apologetic. My husband asked about a suite. There was a suite ready, but it was a smoking room (we are definitely non-smokers!), and she offered it to us at the regular room rate. We took a look at the room. It was very clean and didn't have any trace of cigarette smoke, so we took the suite. The suite had a living area with a sofabed, a small kitchen area with a table and 4 chairs, lots of closets, a bathroom, a good-sized bedroom, and a balcony. Our 2 kids (15 & 12) slept on the sofa bed in the living room & didn't complain. The queen bed in the bedroom was o.k., not great, but we were comfortable the entire time we were there. The use of a nearby athletic club is available at no cost to guests over age 18. The hotel offers free wi-fi, which wasn't always available in our room. It was always available in the lobby area, which is decent-size and comfortable.
The room was clean, the staff was friendly and helpful, and the property is well-located but quiet. It's not a luxury-level hotel, but suited our needs (safe, clean, well-located, quiet). They offer a continental breakfast, but it isn't much. The hotel grounds are pretty, with a very clean pool and a grassy area big enough for throwing a frisbee. Most of the guests seemed to be families or business travelers who were on extended trips. Across the street is a nice shopping center with a grocery store, Borders book store, Trader Joe's, several other stores and a few restaurants. Next door is a bowling alley, which was busy but quiet. There's a nice walking/jogging path along a bay about 100 yards from the hotel. We had our car, but getting around on the city bus would be easy, also. There's a ferry that goes to SF about 10 min. from the property (which we took one day - very nice), and BART stations nearby (which we also used). We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 March 2009

Rooms not updated, furniture is old, smelly, and rundown. Kitchenette has nothing in it, no peper towels, silverware, etc. Internet connection advertised but does not work. Sofa bed mattress is old and thin, and metal bed supports are uncomfortable to lie on; we moved mattress to floor. TV did not have good reception. Laundry is 1.75$ wash + 1.50 dry. Shady characters lurking in hallways and alcoves. Grass unkempt. Most front desk personnel do not seem interested in happiness of customers.
On the other hand, it is a nice location and right across from Sushi House.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank Bobadoo
Reviewed 29 December 2008

I knew going in, site unseen, not to expect the classiest place but I have to say that some things still surprised me. When I got there at 1pm I knew I was early so I was happy to say the front desk girl said she would have a room for me right away. I asked, after reading other site reviews, just to be sure about the kitchenette in the room. I wanted to be sure that ALL rooms had them, as this was why I chose this hotel over some others. As my son in law, who was dropping me off, mentioned "she seemed alittle surprised by the fact you actually planned on USING the kitchen to cook!". She assured me that there would be a kitchen, but if I needed any pots and pans to actually COOK with, I could find them outside by the side of the pool in the communal cookwear area, as we now called it. Having just stayed 2 weeks earlier at a Residence Inn in NY, this was not quite what I would expect from "all rooms have kitchenettes". They neglect to say they really don't expect you to COOK. As I headed up to the 2nd floor it then hit me, with my 50lb suitcase, there is no elevator.! Next I got into my room, which was extremely large, I will say, to see said "kitchenette". The refrigerator was a small 3' x 2' (give or take) with a block of ice where the freezer(which was about the size of a TV dinner) would be and didn't actually close all the way. Next I checked out the bathroom, which was nice and clean, I am pleased to say, but for some reason they felt no reason to put in an extra roll of toilet paper(with no paper towels in that "kitchen" either, I don't know why I was surprised). The only real problem with the bathroom was the pull lever on the shower knob to switch the water from shower or bath. Once it went IN it didn't come back out, no grasp on the end-forturnately I was content with showers. The DO have basic cable, which still makes me wonder why the TV was fuzzy no matter what station you turned to and only about half the electric sockets actually worked as I went to recharge my various gadgets, etc. I cannot comment on the pool area since it was rather cold out and I had no time to really look around so while they advertise a lagoon view for some rooms, from my view of the road I cannot even tell where this supposed lagoon exists. Somewhere in the back, I suppose. Overall, I actually WOULD still stay there, in a pinch, but go in knowing I was only microwaving food, bringing my own paper plates and utensils, paper products, etc-but only because it was not very expensive. For a RELAXING, luxury, stay, not so much.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 18 December 2008

Went to my room, tried the key card & a man
opened the door suddenly. So scary!!!

If that wasn't bad enough, the front desk "manager" ---whose
qualifications as "manager" include
rudeness, aggression towards the guest--reacted
by calling me a liar!

If you have a death wish, stay here. Fortunately, I survived--by walking away!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank GeorgeSNY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
Executive Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda

Been to Coral Reef Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!