“Don't expect a luxury oceanfront resort!”
Review of Marina Village Inn

Marina Village Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Old and Tired. The only thing "king" about the King Suite was the bed.Way overpriced as it was nothing more than a mom and pop econoroom that happened to have loveseat and desk-that's a suite? Beautiful marina view from the balcony-the only redeeming factor.I'm being generous with the "average" rating. Great location but I'd look elsewhere. By the way the house phone didn't work and the continental breakfast was a few stale bagels and two jars of sugar frosted flakes.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Needed a one night motel stay in Alameda while celebrating a family birthday in Alameda. All the Chain Motels were booked so I took this one. The price was $129--In retrospect, WAAAY to high for the accommodations. The location was exquisite--adjacent to the Oakland Yacht Club facing the estuary. Once we found our room (no help from the surly front desk kid) we found a musty shabby room. A King bed dominated the room; crammed into the corner against the non working air conditioner was a worn and stained sofa bed. The pillows were shredded foam that felt like 10,000 lumps in grey tinged pillow cases. The bathroom was spotless but missing an entire set of towels. The phone was caked with other people's residue and the screen door hardly opened without brute force.
Breakfast (packaged bear claws and frozen bagels) was available--there were no cups or plates and no front desk help either. Helped myself to cups and plates from the open storage room and received an admonishment from the continued surly and lackadaisical front desk child. TV blasting added to the ambience (not). Owned by the family Patel, they need a lesson in adjusting to the tastes of the people they service. All in all a true rip off.

Room Tip: Book early at the Rodeway Inn or another known entity in Alameda. Room 105 has no air conditionin...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Marina Village Inn needs to really upgrade their rooms. Old everything in the rooms. It is located in a very nice area overlooking the water and boats. But the rooms our terrible for the price that they are asking. We stayed a couple of years ago and this time we picked another hotel which was less expensive and way nicer. We ran into a couple who recently stayed at the Marina Village and told us that they have not changed a thing. The place is still run down and they were very disappointed that they stayed there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My husband and I booked a 7 night stay ,air conditioner never worked, had to request clean towels, shower door wouldn't close, no extra pillows, pillows the size or travel pillows. When asked for AC repair, pillows was told no open rooms . In morning wait for coffee for over an hour. Located in an Industrial park, empty buildings, shopping center has Insurance, CVS, and businesss, tabacco shop. Not once did the staff try to find solution to problem. Decided to leave and was nevr asked was there anything they could do so we would stay. I wouldnt recommend this hotel to anyone friend or foe.

Room Tip: Bay View rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Denise D
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I personally had a great stay here! My boyfriend came for a visit so we decided to book this last minute and it turned out to be a great experience. I enjoyed the location and the room. It didnt smell and was peacefully quiet. Downtown alameda is pretty cute! i didnt expect anything crazy but there are great japanese restaurants down there to try!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I'm always so amazed by the disparity of reviews. I've stayed at the Marina Village Inn three times in the past couple years. It's a lovely location on Alameda, right next to the Yacht Club. I look being able to look out over the boats in the Marina. On the various times I have stayed at MVI, I have found the accommodations to be completely acceptable. The first time, we got bumped up to the bigger room and it was really great. We had a balcony (kind of rundown, but whatever) overlooking the boats. WE loved it. It's about on par with a nice Motel 6, but safe and fun because of the area. I don't recall any weird smells or any complaints about the linens. The breakfast was plenty to fill me up -- but I wasn't expecting eggs or waffles or anything. I'll definitely be going back.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, it's definitely worth the extra money to get a room facing the water. At...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The best part about this hotel was leaving. Our room smelled of smoke and when asked to be changed found out that the whole hotel was booked. So we had to spend the night in an old smoking room. Strange the staff had smoke smell remover spray on hand. Once in the room we found a nest of spiders and were bitten several times during the night. Even though the staff was friendly and worked to discount the room this place is in desperate need of a facelift. To start don't call old smoking rooms non-smoking. Location of the hotel is great, but there are better hotels of reasonable price nearby.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank PilotTravler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Coral Reef Inn & Suites
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
Rodeway Inn Oakland/Alameda
Executive Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda
Hampton Inn & Suites Oakland Airport-Alameda

Been to Marina Village Inn? Share your experiences!