“Great location, everything else needs work”
Review of Marina Village Inn

Marina Village Inn
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Alameda
Denver, Colorado
“Great location, everything else needs work”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Bumped out of our original reservation at another hotel, we stumbled across this gem only 2 days before our trip. Located right on the bay in Alameda, CA it was not only close to the family we were visiting in Alameda, but just a short jaunt into San Fran for all our sight-seeing activities. Each room had a beautiful deck only 20 feet from the marina, with views to die for.

But that's about the extent of our good things to say. Although the room was clean it was quite run down, desperately in need of a good paint job and new carpeting. The deck I spoke of had only one chair so my husband and I had to take turns enjoying the view. There was basically no cold water in the shower (just a trickle), so we were forced to have very brief showers with little water pressure. Even though the housekeeping staff saw the two of us coming and going, we were left only one washcloth and one hand towel daily (until we finally left them a note to leave two). Plus, the breakfasts were horrible. The first day we showed up at 7:30am (breakfast was from 6-9) and they were out of almost everything and the juice machine was broken. Although the other days they had more food, it was just the basics--grocery store bagels, stale cereal and bad coffee.

In spite of all the bad things, I'd be open to staying there again just for the views and convenient location. As long as you don't have to spend much time in the room, it was OK.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reno, NV
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Stayed for three nights in April for a medical appointment in Oakland. Not really located near anything to walk to. However a short drive will find some places to eat. My only real complaint was my room reeked of vomit. I stayed the week after Spring break so draw your own conclusions. I brought the smell to management's attention and all they did was spray a little air freshener. They said I couldn't switch rooms because they were full. I stayed out of the room as much as possible and bought scented candles to burn at night. Not a great experience.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank renobob6

Travellers are raving about these Alameda hotels

Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The hotel was grubby and poorly maintained. We turned down the first room we were offered because of this and because it was small. Were those ancient bloodstains on the concrete landing outside? The lobby area was poorly furnished and had the atmosphere of a train station waiting-room. Who was that rather sinister figure eating a take-out meal in the middle of the afternoon? Fortunately we were there only for 2 nights and spent most of our time away from the hotel.
We booked this hotel because we liked it when we were there in 1999. Unfortunately very little had been done in the way of maintenance and updating since then. A great shame

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert H
Aptos, California
Reviewed 10 March 2014

There isn't a lot of hotels to choose from in Alameda and this one is the closest to Forbidden Island the Tiki bar on Lincoln. The price online is considerably less than when you call the hotel directly. We arrived at around sevenish on a Saturday night. The room had already been charged to my credit card. The front desk clerk was not so friendly but was efficient. We stayed in room 214 which is an upstairs room. The mattress okay but the bedding looks like it needs to be replaced. We found an A's baseball cap behind the chair so it seems housekeeping goes a little to fast in cleaning rooms. The bathroom was spotless and provided good bath products. The towels were super thin. This is a very basic room and it's a shame that the owners of the property haven't updated the bedding or towels. The room itself could use new carpet. It's in a nice quiet location but hard to find since it's behind commercial property.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank slotsgal
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Thought this would be a nice place because of the ratings. However, when we walked into the room we knew we had been scammed!! The room was dirty, the drapes are so worn you can see through them in places. The bathroom was dirty and the shower leaked. The only upside is you are on the marina and by the water with a great view. Would never stay here again though!!! Do not believe any of the good reviews as they were probably submitted by whom ever owns the place!

Room Tip: Choose another place to stay.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 1Hunglow
Campton, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 January 2014

We stayed at the Marina Village inn in January. The location is lovely. Our room was very smelly. It was a rank combination of urine and old cigarettes. The rug is so old and so filthy, I would not walk on it in my bare feet. I was not convinced it had been cleaned since the last occupants left, we found a dirty face cloth and toilet paper on the bathroom floor and price tags that had been removed from clothing on the night stand. I was so nervous that the bed hadn't been changed I slept in fully clothed with a hood on my head. It was not what I would call a positive experience in any manner.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank happyhiker63nh
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I stay my self and my customers in this hotel as a regular.Based on my experience and my customers, I recommend it to any one who is looking for tranquility and friendly service.To mention Some of the people I met so far are:The manager Mariana with her friendly smile and Toli the receptionist.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank gabasugi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alameda
Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham Oakland/Alameda
Rodeway Inn Oakland/Alameda
Executive Inn & Suites
Executive Inn & Suites
#2 of 49 in Oakland
Coral Reef Inn & Suites
Extended Stay America - Oakland - Alameda
Best Western Plus Bayside Hotel

Been to Marina Village Inn? Share your experiences!