“Fresh Fish and Saturday afternoon quartet”
Review of Sushi House

Sushi House
Ranked #22 of 252 Restaurants in Alameda
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Love this place, prices are very reasonable and the fish is always great. The Bento lunches are great for take out. It's always fun to sit at the sushi bar and watch your food being prepared

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Sushi House has what has to qualify as the best dining location in Alameda. While it isn't a destination restaurant, the beauty of the views elevates this place above similarly average sushi joints.

The creative rolls are the thing here. They are huge and tasty. I like the bento boxes, which are good if you get the grilled salmon or mackerel. The tempura is not their best work-you can expect a heavier than usual coating, often clearly cooked well before your order. Given the volume of customers, I understand cutting some corners, but in this case it is a corner too far.

If you order a soft drink, tbey will make sure you are constantly filled, and overall tbe service is always solid and competent. Just be warned- if you are the type of person who likes it when your waitperson becomes your new friend, then this is not the place for you. This is also not the type of sushi place to come to if you are looking for a solemn temple of pristine fish, served to you by a serious and sophisticated chef. This place is instead a good place for families, people who like generous servings of food, and those who are perhaps slightly afraid of too much raw fish.

And as I said, the views are some of Alameda's best. You can take a break from building sandcastles at the beach across the street in order to eat a tasty lunch-what could be bad about that?

1  Thank Jill T
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Sushi House started out as a small establishment and outgrew its footprint. It's now in a much bigger space, which also is too small. This is a ridiculously popular spot, and you need to expect to wait... and then be indifferently waited on. Our solution - take out. You push through the crowd (yes, really), grab your bag of sushi, and walk out.

The sushi itself is good. Not awesome, but pretty fresh (likely due to ridiculous turn over). I wouldn't call any of the rolls imaginative, but there's a good selection and some are pretty tasty for what they are. Our complaint on the rolls is some of them are WAY TOO BIG to eat in one bite... which leads to exploding ingredients all over your plate. It's good to look this foolish in the privacy of your own house. We tend to stick to the rolls and appetizers over the true sushi (you want real sushi, there are better options in town), but this is good for a fix. And pretty reasonably priced.

Other than the take out tip, CHECK YOUR ORDER before you leave. We've been sent home without items, or with completely wrong items. But you look at how busy they are (even on a weeknight) and you kinda understand while you're bumming.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

I ate lunch there today for the first time. I have eaten at the best sushi restaurants in the entire Bay Area, and I have to say that this is the worst place I have ever tried. I ordered a rainbow roll. The rice was unseasoned, it was the wrong type of rice (ie not japanese), the filling was mushy and sick, and the roll crumbled to pieces as I bit into it which should not happen
to real sushi. The roll was also too huge -- real Japanese sushi can fit piece by piece in your mouth. I know people really like getting tons of food for their money but getting a ton of crappy food in a large amount doesn't make it better.

The Nigiri Mix platter I ordered was gross. The fish was all sliced up incorrectly with random knife marks all over the pieces, and the fish was NOT high quality. It just looked horrible on the plate even before I touched it. The pieces were all different sizes. The fish was different thicknesses throughout each piece. Just a mess! I ate a couple of pieces and left the entire table of food there uneaten because it was so gross, slimy, and flavorless. The miso soup came with dried seaweed stuck to the bottom of the bowl (ie the bowls were not washed properly).

The people who eat here and like it clearly do not know what real japanese food is supposed to look like and taste like. Go to SF Japantown if you want real authentic japanese food. This place is not even close. The sushi chefs are also all Hispanic, which should tell you why the sushi looks and tastes the way it does. I make better sushi at home myself!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Our family goes there almost every other week because my 70 years old mother likes their generous portion at very good price. They have good selections of specialties rolls, and we like the most is Baked Bay Scallop Rolls. Wait staffs are nice but too busy, food usually arrives quickly and seldom have to wait long so I consider their services is decent but not excellent. Bottom line is, I still recommend this for family and children since quantity and quality match up with what you pay for. However, if you are really looking for high quality sushi/sashimi and services, this is not your place.