“28 YEARS OF ALBION RIVER INN”
Review of Albion River Inn

Albion River Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Albion B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 January 2014

My wife and I have been coming to the Albion River Inn for over 28 years. Our first visit did not find the Inn as it looks today. Our first visit was to the restaurant which found us playing pool in a back room while the owner started a fire to warm up the place. Today I still miss that pool table. Today, you will find the restaurant a very warm and welcome place with a jaw dropping view of the ocean waves braking on the cliffs below. You will also find a "James Beard" award winning chief and a menu to match. It is very difficult not to enjoy a meal here.

Over the years we have seem the Inn grow into what you see today. The owner is hands-on daily and very demanding of the experience he wants you have when you stay here. The rooms are individual small buildings over looking the ocean and bay from a cliff. They are quite modern. Each with a fireplace, excellent bath that is autoclave clean and bedding that will guarantee a wonderful night's sleep. Another thing you will experience is a very professional and friendly staff. I accidentally left my iPad. They called and said it would be mailed to me. It arrived at my house the day after i returned home!

What you will not see is the continuous up-grading of the landscaping and maintenance of the infrastructure. The owner is very demanding that each guest have a wonderful and memorable experience at the Albion River Inn. One thing I didn't know about the restaurant was there is a massive assortment of Scotch whiskey. I believe over 100(?) examples. I am not a Scotch drinker.

If you are in this area, you will be well served by staying here

Room Tip: There is not a bad room. Some are larger than others. All have wonderful bath and fireplaces and bed...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ALLISONMidland
There are newer reviews for Albion River Inn

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We just love staying here (our third visit). I could give it five stars except that to me means perfection without reservation or room for improvement, which I don't think is ever really attained. Giving it four stars instead of five is probably being a bit picky. It is a little bit outside my normal budget but well worth it. There are several payoffs. The best is the view of white water, the Pacific, great sunsets and rocky cliffs dropping to the water from most of the rooms. The second is the restaurant just a few steps away from your room. It is great to not have to worry about driving after a couple of glasses of wine, especially on Highway One at night. I would recommend this inn to anyone. My suggestion is to stay two nights at least and three if you can. There is much to see a do near by. And definitely try the restaurant and a scotch "flight" if you like that spirit. Most of us are wary of a free breakfast in a motel, however, the restaurant does a great job and provides good service. This is a very well run place.

Room Tip: Ask about the view in advance.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gbc777
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Billed as a place where you can de-stress and get away from the hassles of modern "connected" life, this place was exactly that. Did not miss the TVs (which did not exist in the rooms) at all. And the fact that cell phone connectivity was limited simply meant that folks could not bug the crap out of us!!! There are room selections for all tastes, desires, and price levels. And did anyone mention the view - simply incredible. From the room, from the restaurant, from the property, the ocean crashing onto the rocks below and the amazing sunsets were wonderful. Gas or wood fireplaces coupled with the view create the ambience, and the complimentary wine and chocolate are an added treat. Spacious and impeccably clean bathrooms (again, with different options for all tastes) were a welcomed change. Do not drive all the way to Mendocino to stay... choose Albion River Inn and then make the 15 minute drive north to see the sights after a scrumptious (and complimentary) breakfast. I have not one bad thing to say about this place.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This was the best hotel we stayed at during a vacation in California from UK. Our cabin had excellent facilities including both a jacuzzi style bath and separate shower. Twin wash basins so we did not have to fight for first goes although the toilet room was a little small.Our bed and sun deck looked out over the river estuary and sea with gorgeous sunsets over the Pacific Ocean.Because of my wife's asthma we did not light the wood burner but the gas room heater was fine to take the morning chill off the room.
The restaurant produced excellent meals and we enjoyed both our breakfasts and evening meals. I would definitely recommend this Inn to any Brits going to the area. There is even a lass from Burnley serving meals there.But all staff were very friendly and efficient.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmanbee
Reviewed 14 November 2013

The staff at the inn are well-skilled in the art of hospitality: welcoming, warm, friendly, attentive. The grounds are well kept and small. The rooms are spacious with excellent views, comfortable beds, working fireplace, lovely welcome wine and mints. The rooms need some upgrading: the carpets are stained and a bit frayed, fresh paint and different art would help. That said, it is a wonderful place in a great setting.

Room Tip: Room 2 is our favorite. No connecting rooms, balcony, view, fireplace, 2-person tub.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank doug h
Reviewed 4 November 2013

What a beautiful setting... It was a shame that the service did not match.... My best friends rehearsal dinner was very interesting to say the least... Very slow service.... Couldn't even get refills..... One of the plates came out terrible...so the waiter says " oh I'll buy you a dessert....we came for a nice meal, not a "free dessert" we had to ask for the item to be fixed, another one at the table never received their salad and then never received the main course so we had to ask for that as well. To top it off they then say that they can not do separate checks.... I have never heard of such a thing... We were a party of 12 but I just don't get it;( it was a beautiful setting and the food is good for those who got it!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Splitfired
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean in one direction and redwood forests on the other side. A very secluded, rustic inn with woodburning fireplaces and wooden decks just perfect for relaxing with a glass of wine, while watching the sun setting into the late afternoon fog. Very romantic. Just 6 miles outside of Mendocino.

Room Tip: This is the place for you if you want to get away from cell service and an in-room TV. WiFi availab...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albion
Mendocino Hotel and Garden Suites
#3 of 8 in Little River
Brewery Gulch Inn
Brewery Gulch Inn
#1 of 25 in Mendocino

Been to Albion River Inn? Share your experiences!