“A little slice of heaven, my choice if I could only have 1 place to go”
Review of Sam Woo Barbeque

Sam Woo Barbeque
Ranked #25 of 227 Restaurants in Alhambra
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: Barbecue
Los Angeles
“A little slice of heaven, my choice if I could only have 1 place to go”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Of all of the Sam Woo Barbecue's this is the best. Tomato Beef Chow fun, Shrimp with Satay over Rice, Kung Pow Chicken, Barbecue Pork, .... the list goes on and on. Always busy worth whatever wait for a table, never had a bad meal and after almost 30 years that's a lot to say. Staff is great, food fabulous.

• Visited June 2014

New York City, New York
“Decent food, great small wonton noodle soup deal”
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Just FYI: the featured photo is not the store front for this place.

Came here with my family and was glad that it opens late. What I consider popular here is the small bowl of wonton noodle soup. It used to be 2.99 but now they raised the price to around 3.21. They do give quite a bit of wonton, 4-5 pieces if I remember correctly. The noodles are good (in canto, "song"). However, the soup base was fairly salty and probably lots of MSG because I was gulping down tons of water/tea. We also ordered BBQ pork which was excellent. I prefer mine more lean and they definitely delivered on that and was moist despite being so. We also ordered "ung choy" (in canto) but it was fresh/crunch and spicy. Much more so than other places. We also had the soy sauce hard boiled eggs. I'm glad that the eggs weren't that salty but would be nice to have stronger tea flavor in the egg. If they do prepare it that way, I couldn't taste it at all.

Service is just like any typical Chinese restaurant. You get seated, you get about 5 minutes to look at the menu, they try to get you to order quickly, they bring your food out quickly and they give you the bill before you can even ask for it =P What can you say, it's business. Nothing extra ordinary about their service.

Overall I would give it a 3.5 stars and wouldn't mind coming back here again. One downside is the lack of seating and parking space but most people just use their takeout service which is ALWAYS busy!!

• Visited June 2014
“Good Food”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Food is okay. Ambiance really not that impressive but they serve good food so it's okay. Staff did not pay too much attention to us and we have to wait a while to get them to notice us and get our orders, send us our bill and stuff.

• Visited January 2013
Cologne, Germany
“great, true chinese food hole in the wall”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

this Sam Woo location on Valley Blvd is what you would call a hole in the wall. not impressive looking at all from the outside, inside is not much better. some diners might be turned off by the hanging bbq'd pork sides and ducks hanging in the glass display right at the entrance (some might be turned on).

BUT BUT BUT, you will see mostly local chinese people eating here because the chinese food is superb. when i think of classic dishes like char siu (barbecue pork), yang chow fried rice, wonton noodle soup, i think of Sam Woo. Even when I lived in West Los Angeles, I would drive with friends the half an hour to the eastside to eat here. prices have stayed low (don't live in Los Angeles so I haven't been there in years) because there's a lot of competition in the San Gabriel Valley.

chinese restaurants aren't known for good service, but I've always found the staff here to be very friendly. come for the food. my 5 stars in this review is pretty much all for the food, but it's not for everyone....

• Visited August 2012
So Cal
“Chinese comfort food”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

For non-Chinese, this is an essential spot to try, because you go for the food and not the ambience. The prices are where they should be, as they were reduced when many Chinese diners fled to other eateries. Beware that it is cash only, common among ethnic businesses. No frills Chinese and authentic right here.

• Visited April 2013