“Great food and service, find out what the rave is about!”
Review of The Boiling Crab

The Boiling Crab
Ranked #25 of 223 Restaurants in Alhambra
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Los Angeles, California
“Great food and service, find out what the rave is about!”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

Food is decent, parking sucks. I have heard lots of people talking about The Boiling Crab and it was good to finally check it out. I would come back, but only if I arrived early (because they can get BUSY!).

I went last Monday at 5:30pm, the parking lot was full (it only holds about 8 cars to begin with). I ended up circling the block and having to park in the residential area. Since we came fairly early we got seated right when we got there.

The place is not huge, and only has two areas of tables.. maybe 20 tables? By the time we ordered and food was out at 6pm, there was a line outside. On a Monday night!

We got 3 lbs crawfish (fresh, which was $10/lb instead of $6/lb frozen), 3 lbs shrimp, 1 lb clams, fried catfish and fries, sweet potato fries, corn, a dozen raw oysters and rice ($140 w/ tax, before tip). Seafood was prepared, the whole sha-bang medium spicy.

For being a spice wussy I surprisingly survived. It was a good flavor mixture of butter and garlic and a spicy kick (that was spicy-spicy not necessarily spicy-hot). This was my first trip eating crawfish... overall, it is okay. Too much work for not enough meat and at $10/lb not worth it (to me, anyways)... I would stick to the shrimp any day. And maybe next time, even try the crab!

Service was pretty good, the staff came by regularly to see if we needed anything or more drinks, etc. Overall, a good place to go to (or at least try once if you're a non believer). Oh, and expect your clothes to smell like your food, so don't wear your Sunday best.

• Visited April 2013

New York City, New York
“Keep on cracking...”
Reviewed 18 February 2013 via mobile

I have a bit of a bad taste after visiting the boiling crab this time with my family... We visit very frequently, once to twice a month. We really liked the atmosphere and the food but this time they decided to charge us the automatic gratuity because of the size of our party. We had an infant with us, a 1 week old baby... And they counted him as an adult. After I questioned the policy, the server told us it was their policy and there was nothing she could do. The manager was unavailable when I requested to speak to him. I happen to be a Regional Director for a restaurant chain and I would never support such a policy. This is simply bad business. We will not frequent this concept and give our business to Joe's Crab Shack when we crave crab and that will be soon! Keep on cracking, but somewhere else.

2 Thank Michel V
Pasadena
“I LOVE Seafood”
Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

My sisters co-worker told her about this place and I've been hooked ever since. Their flavor combinations are out of this world! My favorite so far is the garlic. If you have one in your area you definitely have to go. If you don't then you have to find one. I'll be there this weekend with the family. @KipenziC

2 Thank MarketingDiva
Alhambra, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best shrimps”
Reviewed 12 December 2012

I love this place because you can eat a pound of shrimps for only $9.00 and they are so good.
I always order the shrimps with the 3 flavor taste and the fried calamaris, which are also so good. But also the french fries with the spicy flavor are so good too.
Don't wait for plates or forks because they won't give it to you, in here, you eat with your hands and all the table is your plate.

It is a good restaurant, every person I have brought to this place, loved it.

• Visited November 2012
Fullerton, California
“Amazing food, Okay service”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I come here all the time with my boyfriend. It's our "go to date spot" whenever we're bored and want to get out of the house.
The food is phenomenal!!! Pound of shrimp with wholeshabang seasoning and a pound of crawfish.. TO DIE FOR! And, don't get me started on the raw oysters! YUM!

I absolutely love this place solely for the food. Service?... eh, not so great. You have to flag them down for a refill or have to search them down to let them know you're ready to order. But, once you get your steaming hot bags of seafood, it's nice to not be pestered while your hands are dripping with seasoning haha

The wait is ALWAYS long. They do not take reservations but trust me, you will not be disappointed with your meal!
Will definitely be going back! :)

• Visited October 2012

Been to The Boiling Crab? Share your experiences!