“Comfortable and up-to-date with only minor flaws” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel

Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aliso Viejo
Seattle, WA
“Comfortable and up-to-date with only minor flaws”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2011

I stayed at this hotel for two nights for a business workshop. It's one of the few times I haven't selected my own hotel when traveling, but it didn't disappoint. It looks fairly new all over (outside, lobby, restaurant, rooms), and the high point was the bed, which was very soft with lots of excellent pillows. I slept great. High marks for cleanliness except for a couple of stray hairs in the bathroom.

Honestly it's a bit strange that the hotel is fitness-themed -- there are even small barbells in the bathroom -- but it wasn't overwhelming. I didn't visit their large fitness center but could see it, as well as two pools and a hot tub, from my window.

My main complaint, and the reason I rated service four stars instead of five, is that I filled out the breakfast pre-order slip and hung it on my doorknob as instructed hours before the deadline the previous night, but no one picked it up, so I was expecting a breakfast that never arrived. They apologized when I asked about it at the front desk and offered to call and make sure it didn't happen the following night.

I was also disappointed that there was no bathtub, and they'd put me in a handicapped-accessible room with a very dark shower and bench I had to squeeze around to wash my hair. For my second night I requested a room with a tub and they switched me, no problem. I'm not sure where the oversized soaking tubs they advertise on their website are, though, because the one in my room was standard. Maybe they're in the suites.

One other small beef is that the bathroom lights turn off automatically after about half an hour, which is fine most of the time but not so great when you're taking a bath and are all of a sudden plunged into darkness.

The free WiFi is convenient, if occasionally slow. All the staff members I encountered were friendly and helpful, sometimes to the point of being perky. The food in the restaurant was very good. They valet park fancy cars right in front of the hotel, probably in an effort to make it seem swank. It kind of works - we admired them. Our group took a 10-minute walk down the street to a shopping area to get dinner our second night there, and the area felt safe and was very clean and well-maintained.

I'm not sure I would have selected this hotel myself, but it was more than satisfactory and I wouldn't mind staying again.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Bordentown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2011

I stayed here for the weekend with my husband. Room was beautiful and food was great. Also the healthclub was amazing. Staff was amazing espially Chris at the front desk and Sara in the resturant. They both went above and beyond for us and made us feel like we were staying at Four Seasons. They are the definition of Customer Service. The pool outside was also perfect and great for laps.

Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Jelizer126
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2011

I travel to Aliso Viejo frequently for business and always stay at the Renaissance ClubSport. Conventiently located near my office, this hotel is a joy to visit. The rooms are large, beds are comfy, the bathrooms are huge. The fitness center is amazing and the outside bar/lounge has a cool, relaxing vibe. The menu in the restaurant offers healthy choices and there is Starbucks cafe with nice bagels, fruit and yogurts for breakfast. Wireless Internet is free.

The only minor disappointment is that there is no tub in the bathroom, and it would be great if the showers were a bit harder. Other than that, no compliants.

I don't know if I would stay here if I was on vacation, or visiting Orange County since it's a bit out of the way, but for business it's an excellent choice.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank HernameisRio
Livingston, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2010

My family was in the area for a wedding in Aliso Viejo. We had a number of rooms in the hotel and the staff couldn't have been nicer. Initially we were spread out over the hotel, but after speaking with the desk, the rooms were changed so that everyone was on the same floor. In addition, they waived the $10 parking fee (not sure why they have it.....i agree with earlier posters that this fee is annoying and should be eliminated). The facilities were fantastic. The gym was in the same building and it was great to just take the elevator down to the lobby and walk over to the gym. The gym was a full service operation; classes, basketball and racquetball courts and almost every machine that you could think of to use. I went to the gym three times over the weekend and had no trouble with access to machines or the free weights. Also at least some of the treadmills are set up so that you are looking out towards the mountains, which was great. There were green apples throughout the hotel and water with either cut up lemons or oranges. I did not have the experience that some people had with screaming children running around the hotel. There did seem to be alot of locals at the gym, but that is a plus rather than a negative. Otherwise the gym would probably resemble a ghost town.

The room was nicely set up and the bathroom was spacious. I thought it interesting that the shower only had a half door. The view from the room was also nice and i had the opportunity to see the sun rise over the mountains.

Overall i would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the Laguna Beach area. It is obviously not on the beach, but was only about 10 minutes away barring unforseen traffic. I also agree with earlier posters about trying to avoid the Route 73 toll....you are on that road for 5 miles. I came down from LAX and took the Pacific Coast Highway, but going back took the Route 73 route for speed.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank jrsy25
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

We booked two nights, but ended up staying three, it was that good. This hotel has everything you could want: INCREDIBLE fitness facility, appreciated even by the hopelessly unfit, like me. Lots of free classes, large indoor basketball courts, free weights and machines, beautiful outdoor pools, hot tub, patio area with fire pit. The locker room is sparkling clean and I had the spotless sauna to myself. There is also an indoor whirlpool and hot tub. Down the hill about half a mile is the Aliso Viejo town center mall - theatres, tons of restaurants and shops and a Ralphs. You can request a refrigerator for the room (no charge). The only downside: a $10 self-park fee or $20 for valet, but the valets provided spectacular service: Thanks for getting my glasses, Eric! There was absolutely NO traffic or room noise. Great rooms, average size but cool, modern decor with a "fitness" theme. Very comfortable bed. Loved the bowls of apples set around, including one in my room. This is NOT at the beach, but the view of city lights is still lovely. It is in a business park near Town Center in Aliso Viejo, there are restaurants, theaters, grocery stores, banks all within 2 minutes drive. The beach is only an 8 minute drive. Have an in-house Starbucks, Citrus Grill was nice, had an outdoor dining area overlooking the pool, lively happy hour activity. Ladies, the bar here is where the business men are at 6 pm. Looks like both locals and hotel guests use this watering hole. Warning, if coming from SNA airport is to check directions to avoid the 73 "partial toll road" You are on it for about 4 miles and have to pay $4.75.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SacBurbank
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2010

I don't mean the typical fitness center consisting of two or three treadmills and towels. This is a complete, full-service gym, like Gold's or 24-hour. I worked out there several times and enjoyed it very much. The outside pools are nice. The fire pit is a nice touch. The hotel was very clean, and the service was good. I didn't eat in the restaurant, so I can't report on that.

I got the opportunity to visit Knott's Berry Farm on the last day. Xcelerator is a great rollercoaster.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2010

Slowest internet connection I've ever experienced at a hotel. Ten times slower than dial-up (3 kB/s). Front desk confirms this is the case every night; there's one internet line shared by everyone in the hotel.

Rooms are clean modern. Fancy connection dock for the TV (VGA, HDMI). Beds are comfortable. Bathroom is very spacious and modern, with free standing shelves but no cabinets or drawers. Water pressure is excellent.

Digital temperature controls, cordless phone, flat screen TV, iPod dock on alarm clock.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
#1 of 1 in Laguna Woods
Laguna Beach House
Laguna Beach House
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!