“Watch Your Stuff” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aliso Viejo
San Diego, California
“Watch Your Stuff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Before I realized (fully unpacked the carry-on size bag once I got home) that a favorite shirt from a best friend had been taken, I was going to rate this hotel a “3”. Main reasons: no bathtub (surprising on a number of counts to include it sure helps to soak after a hard workout), consistent problems with amenities/access within the room (the coffee "box" had not been replenished; only one bottle of water was included (two guests), when I did get the coffee, the coffee maker was broken/emitted a white sugary-like substance.) Also, food was hit and miss with a number of items inedible, e.g., never encountered scrambled eggs that were both tasteless and had a strange "starchy" texture. Also, unless you use the one restaurant (cited above via room service), the only other close-by option is the coffee/starbucks (?) within the hotel which provided the most bland and again, inedible, Fruit Fantastic (something like that) smoothie.

So fast forward to home (this was a local trip; drove our own car), and my “modern art” shirt from a best friend is no longer in my suitcase. When I called the hotel, they asked for a description and any other pertinent details. The one item that came to mind was the fact our room was never serviced during our two-night stay. This was despite the fact the maid service was actively in our hallway (we were at the end) servicing all the rooms (both sides of the hallway) before we left the room for approx. 2 hours. My son and I both commented to each other, the servicing seemed to take a long time. They appeared to be working on the 3 closest rooms for approx. 1.5 hours before we left. When we got back to the room (my son was not feeling well), it was not serviced. I went down the hall to someone serving another room and asked was there a reason why our room was skipped. The man appeared to only speak broken English and told me I should contact the front desk. I did not because my son wanted privacy. At approx. 4 PM, maid service tapped on the door and I declined it after asking for the coffee, coffee cups etc. for the next morning.

Bottom-line, I get a call from Management telling me they can track any entries to the room and no one other than occupants (my son and I) entered hence there was no theft, i.e., because my room was not serviced, this could not have occurred/hotel has no fault. I was also assured the maid service detail would never wear the clothes of someone else. That may well be, but someone out there is enjoying a most beautiful shirt. I hope they do as much as I did.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Anne877
RenaissanceClubSport, Front Office Manager at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear Anne877,

Thank you for providing feedback from your most recent stay at our property by completing this review. In order to continue to improve our service standards as a luxury Renaissance brand property, we must listen to our guests, and communicate with them to ensure that we are providing a truly excellent hotel stay, as well as lasting fond memories.

We sincerely apologize for the issues experienced during your last stay at our property, and have taken note of all items referenced in your review – we would like the opportunity to rectify this for you in the future. Your initial report of theft was taken very seriously, and as a result, a thorough hotel investigation into the matter was conducted by our management. And while we apologize that a personal item of yours was misplaced, we can confidently state that it was not by the hand of our personnel. We are able to track and audit guestroom key access, etc. - and again, our standard procedure and investigation was quite thorough in this regard.

We strive for excellence in our hotel product and service, so if you have any plans to return to this area, it would be my pleasure to welcome you back personally - and perhaps try to coordinate a complimentary upgrade. If there are any other areas in which you feel our service or product can improve, please feel free to contact me at any time. We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for choosing Renaissance Hotels.

Marc Minassian
Assistant Front Office Manager
marc.minassian@clubsports.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Interesting hotel. Like another reviewer mentioned, it is a fitness center/spa that happens to have hotel rooms. I was there on business and if you need some incentive to get to pass up the cheeseburger/steak dinner and get up early and work out, this is the place for you. The 485 calorie dinner salad was remarkably delicious and filling. The service was good and the outdoor patio dining was a nice touch. I was somewhat surprised (pleasantly) at the number of families with small kids. So not an "adult retreat" but a good place for families or a "girls" weekend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

My in-laws stayed here during their visit to CA and they loved it. My mother-in-law, who is an avid Marriott customer (and has very discerning taste), said that it was their favorite Marriott hotel yet. They were upgraded to the "sweet" and found it spacious, quiet and comfortable. The room was modern with a nice bathroom and upscale toiletries.

It's located in a business park, but about 3 blocks away from a huge mall with lots of restaurants. The lobby is fresh and inviting and their bar/restaurant has a beautiful patio to sit and have drinks by the fire.I've gone back to the bar just to take friends to happy hour there. I didn't actually work out in the gym/pool, but they looked amazing!

My in-laws already have plans to visit again and they're excited to stay at the Renaissance!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Orange, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2014

Sitting amid a sprawling business park in south Orange County, the Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Hotel is quite unusual. While most hotels have a gym, this is a gym that happens to have a hotel attached to it.

Upon entering the hotel, the lobby is bright and open. The gym is located to the left, while the hotel is on the right. There is a restaurant in the middle of the lobby towards the back.

The front desk is located to the right. There is one small front desk area and if there weren’t a “HOTEL” sign posted one could easily walk right past it.

Upon check-in my Ritz Carlton Platinum Elite status was recognized. I was given the choice between bonus points or a $10 food/beverage credit and took the points.

I was told that there were no King bed rooms available despite me booking one. I was asked if it was okay if I would be okay if I was given a double room. I asked about a possible upgrade to a suite to ensure a king bed was told that the suites were all booked.

Without much choice, I acquiesced with the double room, however when checking the website after getting settled into the room, I noticed that both Junior Suites and Executive Suites were available despite the front desk agent telling me that all of the suites had been booked.

I am not sure why Marriott does not guarantee room type for their Gold and Platinum members like Hyatt does. These are people staying a minimum of 50 nights per year with the chain and should be rewarded for their loyalty. Hyatt does guarantee bed type for their Diamond members or an additional 5,000 points are awarded.

Upon exiting the elevator, the hallway is brightly lit and has a nautical type feel.

Upon entering the room, there is a small shelf holding an apple in a metal tray. I am not sure what the apple signifies. Is it meant to be a welcome amenity? If so, this is a poor showing of the hotel as it was bruised, aging and starting to wrinkle, and well on its way to becoming a shrunken apple head.

The bathroom is located to the left which is quite spacious.

There is a single sink with adequate counter space.

There are Aveda bath products.

There is an open “cabinet” of sort which holds towels, the ice bucket and glasses.

Housekeeping did not do a good job of looking over the towels before putting it in guest rooms as one of the bath towels had several black streaks on it.

There is a shower/tub combo which is on the large side. Water temperature was great while water pressure left something to be desired.

Entering the bedroom, there is a set of drawers with a flat screen TV. The style of the dresser reminds me of being in a dorm room however.

There is the Marriott signature split level desk which I am not a big fan. Although it theoretically doubles the size of the work space, each desk space is not very wide.

The beds are very soft and comfortable but appear a bit shorter than your normal bed. Anybody over 6 feet tall would probably have a hard time lying in bed without their feet hanging over the side.

There is an oddly placed chair by one of the bed with not much space for sitting.

Hotel guests have access to the 75,000 square foot ClubSport gym.

Upon entering there is a large lobby type area with an aerobics/exercise room, full court basketball court and men’s and women’s locker rooms.

Going upstairs there is a small women’s gym/weight room to the left. In the main gym area, there is a plethora of cardio machines including treadmills, exercise bikes, elliptical machines and stair climbers.

There are a variety of different weight machines, free weights and plate loaded machines.

Guests also have access to the sauna and there is an outdoor swimming pool.

Breakfast is served in the Citrus Fresh Grill.

Upon entering the restaurant area there were no employees to be found. After waiting for several minutes still no employees were in sight. I went over to the bar area and asked the worker there if somebody was working and he said that it was self-seating.

We sat ourselves and waited, and waited, and waited with no employee to be found. Several employees finally were seen but they did not acknowledge us, and were walking past our table too quickly in order to try and track them down.

Frustrated with the situation, we decided to help ourselves with the buffet which was pretty meager. Hot options include scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage and oatmeal. There is an omelet station as well.

Cold options include cereal, fruit, muffins, bagels and bread, along with yogurt.

After getting our food and starting to eat, several more minutes passed before an employee asked us if we had been helped and if he could get us something to drink.

This had to be one of the worst service experiences I’ve ever had at a Marriott property.

Self-parking is $10 which is sort of inexplicable since there is a huge parking structure right next to the hotel which sits empty during the weekend, and valet is $20.

Given the poor service, and housekeeping oversights I doubt I would come back to this hotel unless absolutely necessary.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TheMysteryTraveler
RenaissanceClubSport, Manager at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear The Mystery Traveler,

Thank you for your comprehensive review, we take your comments and observations seriously in our drive for customer service excellence. We are sorry to hear we failed you during your recent stay with us. That said, we'd like the opportunity to invite you back again, if you will consider, so we may ensure you a much improved hotel stay. Please let me know.

Thank you for choosing Renaissance Hotels and we hope to see you again.

Michael Robby
Senior Hotel Sales Manager
michael.robby@clubsports.com
Oakley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

From the front desk staff at check-in to the patio servers all were very friendly and helpful. One minor issue with the room prompted immediate response and top notch remedy. They were all very interested in making the stay pleasant. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Try to face the mountains. Great spa services!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Boston, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Our family had a fantastic stay here recently.

The hotel staff was outstanding. We dealt primarily with CJ Richards who was extremely helpful during our stay. I called for some extra towels and there was somebody at the hotel room door in what seemed like less than a minute.

The rooms are clean and bright, as well as the rest of the hotel.

The gym connected to the hotel (free for guests) is large (huge really) and very well equipped (much better than the gym I go to at home). There are two pools, a lap pool and a family pool as well as a nice spa.

We only ate at the breakfast buffet which was good. The buffet included the usual -oatmeal, muffins, bacon, srambled.eggs, bagels, bread, yogurt, cereal, as well as made to order omelets. The service at the buffet was also very good.

• Stayed February 2014
Barrington, Rhode Island
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

Our first impression was this hotel was amazing, the small issue of our ordered freeze not being in the room was not a big deal. (Once I brought this to their attention a fridge with brought up to the room within an hour.) We had been lucky our flight from Boston was not cancelled due the storm. We were welcomed to CA with temps of 70+ and beautiful sunshine instead of the snow mess back home. We had travel here with my son's gymnastics team for a competition. My son was scheduled to compete this morning at 8am. Well that did not happen. Yesterday morning he eat the scrambled eggs and drunk milk from the hotel buffet. The rest of us had omelets made to order. Within an hour time my healthy son was complaining of chills. He could not get warm enough. Three hours later he had stomach cramps, next a headache....He felt a bit warm to the touch but not hot. When I asked the desk if they had a thermometer the answer was "No, sorry". She informed me that there was a Walgreen's right down the street. I let her know I wasn't going to leave my son alone in the hotel to go there and he was in no condition to go. No offer was made for someone from the hotel to go. I texted a team parent traveling with us, thankfully they went for us. The thermometer showed he had a temp of 101. The Tylenol kicked in and he started feeling better, the headache went away and he asked to eat something. I ordered room service. Within the hour after eating... chills and cramps again. Starting around 10 pm he starting throwing up, which continued all night. This morning he woke with a 102.4 temp. with more Tylenol the temp dropped to 99.0. I called our doctor back home for medical advice. Then I called the front desk and asked to speak with the Manager on call. After being left on hold for about 5 mins I was told he was not answering. I asked to leave a message to have him to call my room. Thirty minutes later... no return call, so I called the front back and finally got the manager on the phone. After a quick "sorry" your son is not feeling well, he wanted me to fill out paperwork downstairs. I told him was not going to be able downstairs to fill out paperwork while my son was sick in a hotel room alone. He said I could do it later today but I would have to sit with him and a co-worker while they interviewed me and filled their report. He suggested local medical attention, which a replied that I had already been in touch with his doctor back home. It become very clear quickly that all the manager cared about was a possible law suit and not my son sick in his hotel missing his competition which was the only reason for our stay. Several hours later I received a follow up call asking how my son was doing and if there was anything they could do. Then a reminder that I would need to fill out paper later today. The manager finally asked what may son's name was (probably need for the paperwork). Too bad he didn't ask if there was anything they could do during my first conversation with him. Around 9am I was getting very hungry and his was thirsty, I had to leave my son in the room and go downstairs to get a drink for him and something for me to eat. Our breakfasts were included in our daily room rate so I was hoping to make a plate and bring it up to room so I could be with my son. When I told the staff in the restaurant my situation I was told they don't allow people to do that, they would have to ask. So I stood, while they went to asked. (Why would you have to ask? Empower your staff to due to the right thing!) The staff person came out with a small plastic container and said we don't allow this but, due to your situation we will allow it! You can image what was going through my head. So here I sit in beautiful warm sunny CA with a sick son (who missed his competition) in a hotel room wishing I had staying at a Hampton Inn for $99 or less per night. I have had amazing customer service at Hampton Inns all over the country which I would much prefer than glam atmosphere with uncaring and thoughtless management! You had an opportunity to impress on a personal level and you blew it. (A mom traveling alone with a now sick son) So, If you choose to stay here beware...it is beautiful, however if you get sick.... even if it is possible food poisoning by the hotel ... you are on your own. Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Donna P
RenaissanceClubSport, General Manager at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Donna P,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We would like to take time as well, to clarify a few of the statements made in regard to the above review.
The sanitation and cleanliness of both our food preparation and presentation is of the utmost importance to us here at Renaissance ClubSport. We follow very strict guidelines and have always implemented policies and procedures to maintain our excellent standards of practice.

While you stated that your son had unfortunately had fallen ill during your vacation here, what fails to be mentioned is that we did strongly suggest that you visit a local medical facility for any treatment that may have been necessary at that time given his illness. Our Manager on Duty that weekend offered to help coordinate a local doctor; however, you graciously declined.

As stated within your review, and truly, whether being at Renaissance ClubSport, or anywhere else, if you deemed this to be food poisoning, and given the severity of his condition, surely this would have been considered a medical emergency. As such, we will always recommend local professional medical care for any of our hotel guests.

As we do not utilize a standard copy and paste response to our reviews, we simply state the many reasons that one may fall ill when traveling across North America. As we are a service- oriented business, listening to each of our guests’ comments is certainly of extreme importance to us. That said, we do hope that your son is feeling better now, and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Edward J. Tomlin
#1 of 1 in Laguna Woods
Laguna Beach House
Laguna Beach House
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!