“Short drive from Pageant of the Masters”

Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Aliso Viejo
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We selected this property primarily because it was only a short distance from the Pageant of the Masters. It delivered other advantages. The hotel offered free access to an excellent workout facility. The pool area was lovely. Our room was spacious. We enjoyed free parking in a structure that was very close to the property. Staff was friendly and gracious. There were a few downsides. Despite a large showerhead in the European-style shower, the flow was weak. The bathroom lighting was designed to automatically go on upon approach so a visit there in the middle of the night could awaken someone sleeping in the bedroom. Since the bathroom door was made of glass, the light could continue to irritate the sleeper. As the sleeper, I was not happy. The towels were scratchy. A simple breakfast for the two of us cost more than 40 dollars with tip.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaissanceClubSport, Director of Sales at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Debra-Lynne T,

Thanks for choosing the Renaissance ClubSport Hotel for your recent visit to the Laguna Beach area and the famous Pageant of the Masters festival. We hope you enjoyed the show and discovered something wonderfully new during your time in this area.

Your experience in the hotel and our deluxe guestrooms is also very important to us in our on-going commitment to providing the best possible hotel stay for our guests in this unique location, near Laguna Beach. We will follow up on the items you mentioned, as well, we'd like to invite you to come back again soon - it would be my pleasure to personally assist you and ensure a perfect hotel stay in one of our best guestrooms. Please let me know.

As you experienced, our Aliso Viejo hotel near Laguna Beach, is a unique blend of full-service hotel and world-class sports club. Guests enjoy our trademark Renaissance hospitality with complimentary access to ClubSport, a 75,000-square-foot fitness resort complete with a massive fitness floor, six group exercise studios, aquatic center, splash park and childcare services. Additionally, we are only 5 miles away from the international resort destination of Laguna Beach, which awaits you with its famous Pacific coastline – just minutes away in Laguna Canyon, guests can experience seasonal events such as the famous Pageant of the Masters festival, the Sawdust Festival, the Festival of the Arts, and more.

Thanks for choosing Renaissance Hotels and remember to live life to discover!

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed 3 nights on business at the hotel. To note are the very large rooms (compared to city hotels) and the great bath. Really good breakfast buffet as well. You need a car! Walking to the next shops is easily 15-20min. Downside: A bit pricy for a place that far out. I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed: February 2014
RenaissanceClubSport, Director of Sales at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2014

Dear DT78MNL,

Thank you for staying with us at the Renaissance ClubSport Hotel - your feedback and comments are very important to us and we appreciate your time to write your review for the reference of future hotel guests.

As you know, at our Aliso Viejo hotel near Laguna Beach, we have created a unique blend of full-service hotel and world-class sports club. Guests enjoy our trademark Renaissance hospitality with complimentary access to ClubSport, a 75,000-square-foot fitness resort complete with a massive fitness floor, six group exercise studios, aquatic center, splash park and childcare services. Guests can seamlessly integrate a workout with relaxation, rejuvenate at the R Spa, and savor locally-inspired cuisine at Citrus Fresh Grill.

Renaissance ClubSport is located just 5 miles from the picturesque coastline of Laguna Beach. Being so close to this international resort destination of Laguna Beach with its famous canyons and coastline – we try to offer a solid value for families and business travelers alike, with the peace of mind at you are staying with a Marriott brand hotel.

Thanks for choosing Renaissance Hotels.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

The stay overall was unsensational and the hotel itself is okay. Upon my return I noticed a $250.00 on my credit card. I called the Marriott customer support and they told me the hotel imposed the smoking fee. I requested to have this investigated since this is a blank out lie. Custoemr severvice was supposed to contatc the hotel andof course never did, so I called them. The agent who stated acted as amanger (I was not even dignified to talk to a manager) stated they have photographic evidence as well as two statement from two different managers. I request this information and of course two weeks later it still was not sent. In the meanwhile I remembered that one day in the hotel I ahd a cigarette butt stuck to my shoe and in the hotel room threw it in the trash can. This apparently contemplates smoking in a room.
I strongly recommend not staying at this hotel. As said, nothing there was particularily good (food, room, staff) and they seem to be pulling a scam on charginign people of things they did not do.
If you have two weeks to provide simple information I am entitled to do so and fail to do so (including follow ups), it is obvious the "evidence" does not exist.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank riverwin

Dear riverwin,

Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate your candid feedback. We would like the opportunity to speak with you in more detail about it, if your time allows. Please consider that.

Renaissance ClubSport Hotel is committed to providing its guests and associates with a smoke-free environment, and is proud to boast one of the most comprehensive smoke-free hotel policies in the industry. Since its introduction with Marriott Hotels in 2006, the policy has been implemented in more than 2,300 properties throughout the United States and Canada under the Marriott, JW Marriott, The Ritz-Carlton, Renaissance, Courtyard, Residence Inn, SpringHill Suites, Fairfield Inn, TownePlace Suites and ExecuStay brands.

The smoke-free hotel policy has received praise from guests, and Marriott remains committed to achieving a smoke-free environment in all of its properties in the U.S. and Canada. The continuing efforts of these properties to comply with the smoke-free policy reinforces Marriott’s commitment to being an environmentally friendly company. Renaissance ClubSport has this same spirit and commitment, while providing a very unique Wellness Resort for our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back one day in the future — it would be my pleasure to personally assist you. Thank you for your consideration.

Renaissance ClubSport

Reviewed 6 July 2014

Front Desk Agents were amazing, they were friendly and accommodating. Went with the family to Celebrate my sister's birthday and she was impressed with the gym and pools. Will be coming back next month with rest of the family.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
RenaissanceClubSport, Director of Sales at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Obrend1,

We thank you for your kind words and will share your positive feedback with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again soon here at the Renaissance ClubSport Hotel. Your loyalty and support of our brand is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

We stay at this hotel at least twice a year when I visit my brother who lives down the street. I have to say I was underwhelmed by this visit. When we visited the pool on one occasion it was left in a state of diss array...used towels lay all over chairs that were not being used and used cups, plates, and other misc. trash remained on the tables for the several hours I was there. I'm pretty understanding when it comes to these things, but the "manager" in the purple shirt stood next to the "lifeguards" (who were some of the absolute worst I've ever seen...would not trust them watching my dog let alone my child) and chatted for a good 45 minutes. It's a shame that this individual is collecting a paycheck that someone else could be earning by actually doing his job rather than flirting with underage females. Pretty appalling. Lastly, I ordered 2 margaritas and 2 sodas from the bar I was told it was $36, when I questioned this it was changed to $31 ($12 for each drink and $3.25 for the sodas). Does that add up to $31....Uhhhh no! Tired of the run around I just paid and left!! The following day I returned to the pool and was given a menu, only to find out the margaritas are $11 and the sodas are free! What!?!? Needless to say I hope the hotel across the street gets built sooner rather than later...

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Amy C
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We came in for our granddaughter's graduation. Everyone was so nice. Room was great, overlooking the pool. For us, it's a great location. Didn't use gym, but used the pool and facilities. Wish my gym had a saltwater pool! Wasn't crazy about the buffet, but I'm not big on buffets, anyway. Kind of noisy with the work going on installing a new pool, I heard.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Our second stay wasn't as good as the first. As occurred on our last weekend stay the hotel was hosting a wedding and so was busy. However staff numbers seemed to need boosting. Room still fine and everyone was friendly but breakfast service was slow with some wait staff simply "hanging around". After waiting 20 minutes for our bags to be picked up we carried them downstairs ourselves with no car waiting either. The desk staff member said that they had been very busy but it looked OK to me at the time. Good location and value so I would give them another stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
RenaissanceClubSport, Manager at Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Ross Y,

We thank you for choosing Renaissance ClubSport Hotel and are glad to hear that you have been a frequent guest. That said, we are concerned about the service you experienced and will be doing some follow up work in those areas to make sure we can continue to provide the service excellence we are known for. As well, I would like to personally invite you back again and make sure it is a VIP experience for you. You will find my contact information below, and I look forward to setting up your next hotel stay.

Thanks for your loyalty to Renaissance Hotels and see you again soon.

Senior Hotel Sales Manager

#2 of 22 in Laguna Beach
Seaside Laguna Inn & Suites
Seaside Laguna Inn & Suites
#17 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Renaissance ClubSport Aliso Viejo Laguna Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!