“Great Accomidations”

Ayres Lodge Alpine
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Alpine
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Enjoyed the quiet rooms and jacuzzi - nice breakfast and friendly service

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Lodge Alpine, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Dear Karen -

Thank you so very much for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to know that the service, accommodations, and complimentary breakfast were to your liking. We appreciate you choosing Ayres Lodge Alpine and look forward to your return visit.

Regards,

Reviewed 13 February 2012

Ayres Lodge- Alpine is a fantastic getaway! So much to do for adults (Viejas Casino and outlet shopping is minutes away) and for families. I've been several times. This last trip my kids and I enjoyed the hotel, which is beautifully renovated, visited Lions, Tigers, and Bears, went bowling at the Viejas Shopping complex, then returned to enjoy the pool and jacuzzi. We had an amazing dinner in downtown Alpine which we could walk to, and the next day we visited Julian. The hotel facilities are clean, very nicely decorated with a sophisticated, rustic flare, and the staff was friendly and helpful. For such a short drive from LA/OC it feels like we had a true getaway.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Lodge Alpine, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear Funwmom -

Thank you so much for your review. I truly appreciate you taking the time to let fellow travelers know of our hotel. I am thrilled that the hotel accommodations and surrounding activities made your stay with us an enjoyable one. Though a short 20 minute drive away, perhaps on your next stay you will have the opportunity to visit the Downtown San Diego area. Again thank you so much for your review and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Manager Tyler along with Summer, James, and Tiffany all treated us like we were part of the Ayres family. Wow! Congratulations to the Ayres family for hiring such "over the top" personnel. The remodeled rooms, clean grounds, pine tree mountain atmosphere, warm fireplace in the lobby, and a nice FREE breakfast made our stay a real get away experience.. Candy box for my birthday was outstanding. We will be back!

Room Tip: Our 4th stay and not a bad room. All quite, roomy, and clean.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend for a get-away to the casino. I was skeptical because of some of the reviews I read on here, but as someone who has traveled & stayed at plenty of hotels, I must say I would definitely recommend this hotel. There's a strip mall within walking distance, sushi, Little Ceasar's, CVS,liquor store, etc... Gas stations right across, close to fwy, it was perfect. The best thing was the shuttle service to Viejas Casino - runs 24 hrs and they are prompt! My friend & I will definitely be staying here again on our next little vacation. Very comfy place & the breakfast was not that bad either.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank M R
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I called and inquired about a room for two nights for my friends wedding. (Bride was around 30 years old). I asked about the discount & from the beginning they were reluctant to see that a discount was applied. They told me I had to contact a guy during the day. I inquired at night. When I arrived I inquired about the discount again & the guy I was supposed to talk to said no one reserved. They led me to believe no one else from the wedding party was staying at the hotel. After attending the rehearsal dinner I found out a lot of people were staying. When I went back to inquire I was told that he would not be back until Monday. How convenient.
I am handicap. I did not tell them because there did not seem t be an issue. When I got to my room, there was a large laundry basket blocking 3/4 of the sidewalk. I called & they moved it. I am unsteady on my feet because of Rheumatoid Arthritis. The microwave plate was off balance & it was to high up so I asked for someone to fix it. He came right away & was pleasant.
I turned the shower on and got all wet. The massive shower head was pointed out of the bath tub.
There were no coffee cups or condiments in my deluxe suite. When I called they told me to come down & get some. I told them I was not dressed. They sighed & sent the cups.
While we were checking out we were carrying all the wedding gifts to the car. Again the maids carts were blocking 3/4 of the walkways. There were elderly people trying to get around them. The maids would smile & say sorry and act like they felt bad. I asked them to move the cart completely off the sidewalk so we could carry the gifts. They were more concerned with damaging the plants than their customers comfort & safety. They were not happy. and acted like I was the problem. Later when I came back from breakfast the carts were all on the sidewalks again. I did not say anything else, you clearly have a safety violation. I took pictures & will send them to the state & file a complaint.
So overall, your corporate bottom dollar may look good. No discount given. However no tips to your staff were given either. I would not recommend this place at all. This was a missed opportunity. If you had accommodated us with the discount package deal we would have sent this to all our daughters & nieces for a potential wedding destination.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank linda w
AyresHotels, General Manager at Ayres Lodge Alpine, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2012

Dear Linda -

Thank you very much for your review of Ayres Lodge Alpine. I was very distressed to learn that you had an unsatisfactory stay with us during your friend's wedding celebration. The goal our team strives for is warm, inviting accommodations and service for all of our guests. We hold ourselves to the highest standards, and I truly apologize if these high expectations were not met in this case.

As to the walkways, our hotel undergoes, and has always passed, an annual fire inspection that includes careful examination of entries/exits and whether they are appropriately accessible for guests. Our housekeeping team is required to place carts in the entries of the room doorways at an angle, which allows them to get in the room but also provides them with a safe exit in an emergency. This may account for a portion of the cart being on the walkway. I am sorry for any inconvenience or hardship this may have caused. I have reviewed this information with them to ensure that the walkways are clear enough that guests are able to utilize them safely.

Please know that your comments are being taken very seriously and will be addressed with the team here at the hotel to be sure each of our guests experiences a comfortable stay. Again, thank you for your review. I hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future.

Regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2012

I stayed here on a work-related matter. This is motel-style lodging with doors opening directly to the outside and parking right outside your room, but the lobby was interesting and the interior of my room was spacious and clean, with a fridge, coffee-maker, couch, desk, etc. The breakfast was underwhelming (think cold cereal and fruit). The staff was very friendly and helpful and the cat in the lobby added a nice homey touch. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2012

OK, first off, I have stayed at other locations of the Ayres chain, and this is the only one which is not a "Hotel", so for those who expect large rooms and a cooked to order breakfast will not find them here.

But it is a very nice property, I got one of the Deluxe rooms, which came with a Microwave and fairly good sized Fridge.

They did an amazing job with the Freeway wall on the outside, converting it to a rock wall with a small waterfall.

The pool and Hot Tub are nice, and kept hot.

Breakfast is served in a small room, and while you can make your own waffles, there is not much choice, a small fridge contains a few items, cerial and a couple of types of juice (Orange and Apple), and of course coffee.

Viejas Casino offewrs 24 hour shuttle service to its Casino and Outlet Mall, which is only a couple of miles away.

It is located on the edge of the Cleveland National Forest and easy to get to using Interstate 8.

We are already planning a return trip to the area, as we didn't get as much sightseeing as we wanted to on Sunday.

Check out the photos to get a feel of the place.

Comes with free parking and WiFi, also the TV is a flat screen with many channel options, (over 50 at least).

Room Tip: Opt of the Deluxe room if you want a Microwave and/or Fridge
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alpine
Julian Lodge
Hampton Inn & Suites San Diego-Poway
11 mi away
Best Western Santee Lodge
Viejas Casino & Resort

Been to Ayres Lodge Alpine? Share your experiences!