“my favorite Mexican restaurant”

Maria Elena's Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Alviso
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I eat here regularly. Weekday lunches are packed so I go on the weekends when it's not crowded. I love everything I've had on the menu but I always come back to the fish tacos and the frijoles. My friend, who is from Mexico swears by the chilaquiles and my mom loves the enchiladas. The hot dishes are always served piping hot, which I love, and the salsa is great.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

If you want and need GREAT Mexican food you need to go to Maria Elena's. I have been eating here since the early 80's and have never had a bad dish!! Great place for lunch or dinner, and a great menu, lots of items to chose from.

1  Thank mrtoken
Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Great Mexican food. Worth a stop. Tried the vegetarian tamale and would not reorder it. The spinach enchiladas were good though. Our server was friendly and funny. A true Alviso experience.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We recently visited Maria Elena's for the second time. It does not look like much from the outside, but it certainly reminded us of numerous restaurants that we had seen in the Puerto Vallarta area of Mexico. The food is quite authentic compared to those places. We sampled various burritos and enchiladas, all of which were very tasty. The place is very popular for lunch. Even though there is a reasonably large seating area both inside and outside, if you do not get there early, you may have to wait quite a while. Prices are very reasonable with most items between 9-12 dollars. If you are looking for a real Mexican dining experience this place is worth looking for.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

I went to this restaurant during a business trip. The restaurant is not much to look at, and I actually never made it inside as we ate within the patio area. We arrived at 11:45 for lunch and were seated after a short wait. By noon, there was a crowd outside the restaurant waiting to get in. I could not beleive it.

The food was great and the server had an attitude. Coming from the NYC area, I appreciate a server with an attitude as a sign of good food. If not, the place would be out of business.

The guacamole, carnitas and tacos al pastor were very all very good. I was told the mole' is hit or miss as it is a family recipe and this may not taste like the other ones out there.