“A gem in the Gold Country”

Imperial Hotel & Restaurant
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Dating from 1879, the historic Imperial Hotel in Amador City offers casual elegance in indoor and patio dining to visitors and local residents alike. This family-owned and operated establishment takes pride in featuring organic, locally grown produce, fresh meats and sustainably harvested fish and seafood. The menu varies with the seasons and honors the simple goodness of the ingredients in the tradition of the finest California cuisine. » Sample Dinner Menu Dinner at Imperial Hotel Amador City The Oasis Bar at the Imperial Hotel is an experience in itself with its antique barstools, old gaslights and creaky floorboards. The bar is stocked with a large selection of spirits and California and imported wines and beers. The wine list features a careful selection of award-winning local wines. Happy Hour on Wednesdays from 5 - 6:30 pm, a mix of locals and tourists enjoying hors d'oeuvres and camaraderie ... in the Oasis Bar. Dinner - Tues-Sun, starting at 5 pm Brunch - Saturday and Sunday 9:30 - 2:30
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Off the main highway in historic Amador City is this gem of a hotel. Each of the six rooms is unique. We stayed in #5 with a king bed and private bath. It was cute, quiet and comfortable. Loved that there was no TV.
Had dinner in their downstairs restaurant. The host, Pete, was very gracious. The high ceilinged dining room has a very comfortable ambience. Service was a little slow, but owner Mary Ann stopped by and expedited it. She also recommended the chilled mango soup to go with the local rose wine I had selected. It was to die for! The bread is fresh from Andrae's Bakery up the street, and we couldn't get enough of it! The salad with blueberry balsamic vinaigrette and candied pecans was excellent... My spaghetti was cooked perfectly, and the sauce was flavorful; I just wish there'd been a little more of it. My husband's polenta was also very good. The wine list is strictly local Amador County wines, and had some great by-the-glass selections. After dinner we had a drink at the quaint, old-fashioned bar, where Pete took good care of us. We met the chef, who seemed quite young for someone of such obvious talent. Next morning's breakfast was tasty French toast, made from the same great Andrae's bread, topped with fresh blueberries. All the staff were friendly and accommodating.
The town was hosting its first Banjo Festival that Saturday, so we were treated to a variety of musical presentations as we strolled around before heading off on our wine tasting adventure.
We will look forward to our next visit, hoping it is soon!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

LOVED the breakfast of Ham Strada, fruit cup and blueberry muffin. Great coffee too! Dinner the night before was a couple of 'starters'. The butternut squash soup was delicious, but sort of on the verge of being lukewarm. That was the only thing we had any complaint with. The bread basket they brought out had a lovely wheat bread. The brie with garlic butter hit the spot. Double Chocolate cake with homemade vanilla ice cream was not too sweet, but very satisfying and enjoyed with an orange muscat.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

We were staying at the Imperial Hotel and decided to make dinner easy and just eat in the hotel's dining room. We stopped by the bar on our way to the restaurant where we met Peter, the manager of the hotel, the bartender, waiter, bus boy...he had so many jobs that if he retired unemployment in this county would drop 5% due to all the job openings. He mixed a great cocktail for my wife and poured me a wonderful glass of wine. "You can taste anything before to buy." A great step to guarantee a satisfied diner.
Despite the limited number of diners that evening, the menu offered many choices plus the evening specials. My wife had the pork tenderloin and I had the rack of lamb. The portions were substantial and included potatoes and vegetable. Both meals were cooked perfectly, a tasty way to end the day. We were so full we had to pass on dessert, still the chef sent us each a piece of chocolate mint. A nice surprise! We could not have asked for a better end to our day.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Eat here on a Saturday afternoon, only one other couple in the place. Service very slow, ordered a couple glasses of wine and the waitress spilled some of my husbands, she said no problem because she had over poured them anyway, I wonder what you get if they do not do this. Had a panini it had about 3 pieces of steak? meat on it. Mostly a thick bread. Husband had the hamburger nothing special, both meals has sweet potato fries, I am sure they counted them out nine fries to each plate really? we asked if the was the normal serving and the gal said yes. I say weak. Waitress never checked for more water we had to find her and ask also to pay the bill. We will not return to eat here, seems like it could be good, if things were changed right now a D grade.

1  Thank 70Lin
Reviewed 10 November 2013

We ate here three consecutive nights in October. We had our dog with us so we ate on the patio. They were kind enough to give us the same table each night. I had the lamb special the first night and it was delicious. The service was excellent. The wine was not overpriced. I don't remember what I had the second night,but it was very good. The thrid night my wife and I each had a salad and we shared two appetizers for our main course, The next time we are in the area, we will stay at the hotel as the have one suite for dogs.