“Perfect for Kids! Staff was Excellent”

Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel
Ranked #40 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 16 January 2009

Our stay was January 2nd through the 9th. Room 2421

Well first of all I never right reviews but thought I needed to express my surprise at how great this hotel was and it was very reasonable price. We drove 1000 from Oregon to this Hotel pretty much non stop so imagine my surprise that we could check into our room at Noon since it was ready. I orginally booked this Hotel back in October for our stay after much research. When I first booked it the price was $129 a night but after many visits to the website I saw that the price dropped to $109. I called them and they honored the lower price. It was well worth the money as the DL Hotel was $230. We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old so I was looking for a place they could call their own. The kids suite was perfect and gave my husband and I some privacy. We have been to Disneyland the last 2 years and both times stayed at the Disneyland resorts and it was diffecult at best with two little ones in a double room. This was a short 15 minute walk from door to gate which was about the same as navigating through the Downtown Disney from the DL Hotels.
There were only a couple concerns. The faucet in the bathroom didn't work well. It leaked and didn't give you hot water. I told the front desk clerk about it but didn't expect them to fix it. Upon our return the next day it was replaced. The other was a drawer in the main room kept coming off the track and would almost come completely out. I think they tried to fix it but it needed more work then I think they could do in a day. It was all workable and didn't really bother me all that much. The staff was very helpful and gave me more hangers to put in the room as we stayed for a week. I had a little diffeculty figuring out the thermostat as it always seemed to be a little too hot or a little too cold and could get stuffy at times but turning on the air conditioner for a little bit helped. There was a little bit of a smell when we first got there but soon disappated as it was taken over by our own smell of banana's and dirty sock! LOL
I would highly recommend this hotel and we will now call it our hotel of choice for years to come. It was a great value for our money and the kids LOVED having their "own" room. It was fabulous to put them to bed and close the doors after a long day at the park. The staff was also great as I think I changed my reservation about four times on them and everytime they were great. I have been talking about it to friends and family and recommending it for those with little kids. I also think the regular King Suites look nice too for those kids that are a little older (I peaked in room when it was being cleaned). Hopefully the rate will be as attractive the next time we go as well. I didn't see what the rate were in peak times but there is NO WAY we will ever be going in the peak season as the park was crowed enough for us in January.
It would be great if they offered a special price for those that return year after year as an incentive to draw people back as I don't think the place was full. Rarely saw anyone in the halls and didn't hear anything from neighboring rooms (which was nice).

Thank you for a wonderful stay! See you next year!!

• Stayed: January 2009
2  Thank KES-29FAMILY
eCommerceCoordinator, eCommerce Coordinator at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2009

Dear KES-29FAMILY,

Thank you for your excellent review! We absolutely love when we exceed our guests' expectations! It's always so rewarding to receive such positive feedback and we truly appreciate your time in sharing your experience with other travelers.

As you mentioned, our Kids Suite is perfect for a family such as yours. The two bedrooms separated by french doors allows for the parents to have a bit a privacy, especially after a long day at the theme parks. Also, the kids are always excited about having their very own room!

We are so thankful for all of your compliments on our staff. We truly make every effort to ensure our guests enjoy their experience with us. Thank you for letting us know about the sink in your room not working properly. It gave us the opportunity to handle the situation by replacing it the very next day, while you were still staying with us.

Lastly, we would also like to thank you for recommending the Portofino Inn & Suites to family and friends. There is no better referral than one from a guest who has actually experienced our property.

We're looking forward to your next visit!

eCommerce Coordinator

Write a ReviewReviews (1,717)

Reviewed 4 January 2009

We chose this hotel due to its proximity to Disneyland and the rooms with Bunk Beds. The bunk beds were a real hit with our daughter and son (both under 3). There was a nearby coffee house that was great for families. There were also some lovely fine dining choices nearby.

As much as we enjoyed the bunk beds we could not stay at the Portofino Inn again due to the smell of the rooms and the hotel. To us it smelled like someone had vomited in the rooms and they were doing their best to cover it up with the most powerful chemicals they could find. The smell went deep though and never went away during our two day stay. We tried two rooms, both of which were truly offensive. We stayed because it's too hard to change with 2 kids in tow and we figured were not in the rooms that much anyway. The place smelled like it had serious issues though. The smell of this place was the only low point to what was a lovely and fun weekend.

The staff is quite nice though. The pool is great for kids.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
3  Thank Sprocket_girl

Dear Sprocket_girl,

We would first like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced while staying with us. We appreciate your feedback and have taken the proper steps in order to address the odor in both rooms.

We are glad that our bunk beds were a hit with your kids! Our Kids Suites are perfect for families like yours! The parents usually enjoy taking advantage of the separation by french doors from the kids bedroom to the parents' bedroom.

Thank you for your kind note on our staff. We make every effort to provide a hotel experience that our guests love. We sincerely hope that you do decide to visit us again.

Best Regards,

Reviewed 22 November 2008

A friend and I stayed at Portofino Nov 17-21. I got a great deal with Expedia and decided to try it. It is a solid 5 minute walk to the transportation area of Disney, probably 10 minutes to the actual gate of either park. It is an easy walk for adults, though lugging tired little ones after the park, may be a bit much.

There is a 24 hour IHOP across the street, so breakfast was quick and easy. Also, a small strip of Subway, chinese food, mexican food and photo store was also just across the street. A 7-11 and market were between us and the park on our side of the street.

The hotel itself was very nice --- good sized rooms, 2 queen beds that were actually comfortable! The biggest thing was the cleanliness in the room, balcony, bathroom, hallways and even the stairwells. They have made considerable effort to keep all of it nice and clean. We didn't use the pool or fitness room, but they looked fine as well.

We wound up getting notices from the hotel of a planned power outage by the Anaheim power folks for the entire day (Nov 19) that would include many businesses along S Harbor Blvd. Power went out at 9 am and was restored at 6pm - being at the parks all day, it never affected us. While power was off, the hotel put green glowsticks on the stairs and hallways to make it easier to navigate -- great idea. The front desk staff was friendly and very helpful, no matter what the question.

This is a good hotel that I will recommend to others with older children - like I said, the walk back might be a bit for smaller ones after a day at the park.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
2  Thank RSoxFamily
eCommerceCoordinator, eCommerce Coordinator at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 December 2008

Dear RSoxFamily,

Wow! Thank you so very much for taking the time to complete the review and including so many great details and compliments! It is always such a pleasure to hear that our guests love our property as much as we do!

As you mentioned, our location is a short walk to all the fun and many restaurants. As for "tired little ones after the park", there is another option: For a nominal fee, the Anaheim Resort Transit can pick you up at our hotel and take you to Disneyland® Resort's main entrance. They can also pick you up when you're ready to come back and drop you off steps away from our property.

We are so pleased to hear that you found your beds comfortable and that you appreciated the "cleanliness of everything!!" You are correct: We certainly do make considerable effort to maintain the cleanliness of our property!

Also, thank you for your very kind notes on our staff. We believe in going the extra mile to make sure our guests are taken care of, and your compliments are truly our reward!

Thanks again for your feedback and for recommending us to others.

We look forward to your next visit!

Best,

Reviewed 11 November 2008

My family stayed at the Portofino Inn back in September/October for eight days. We loved it. The kid Suite gave us plenty of room and the beds were very comfortable. The kids eat free at the Jolly Roger cafe for lunch and dinner and we looked forward to visiting with the staff at the end of a long day. Our service at the restaurant and the hotel was excellent. The only downside was the laundry facility only had one washer working and the dryer didn't dry with heat, so it took a very long time...... Other than that I can say I look forward to one day returning to Disnyland and the Portofoino Inn and Suites...

Thanks for making our frist trip to Disneyland so enjoyable.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
eCommerceCoordinator, eCommerce Coordinator at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2008

Dear olleyboys,

We are so happy to hear that you loved your stay with us during your first trip to Disneyland! Thank you for all of your very kind remarks and for taking the time to give us your feedback. Excellent customer service is what we pride ourselves on and we are so pleased that you experienced exactly that!

Also, we are glad that you were able to take advantage of the Kid’s Eat Free program at the adjacent Jolly Roger Cafe, which offers a free kids lunch or dinner to children ages 10 and under for every adult entree purchased. We enjoy reminding our guests about this special offer because it truly is a great deal and it is so convenient!

Lastly, we loved the picture you posted along with your review of your son on the bed in our kid suite watching Disneyland's fireworks through the window. What a great shot!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your first trip to Disneyland. We look forward to your next visit!

Portofino Inn & Suites

Reviewed 3 November 2008

the check in went fast, the hotel staff is very nice and professional. this is my 3rd time staying there my kids love ther own space my husband and I love our privacy. I will never stay anywhere else. and its walking distance from disneyland!!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
eCommerceCoordinator, eCommerce Coordinator at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2008

Dear jesusfreaks6,

We are extremely happy to hear that you will continue to stay with us at the Portofino whenever you are visiting the Anaheim area! It is our pleasure to accommodate you and our job to ensure superior service!

Our kids suites are ideal for a family, such as yours, that are looking for space for the kids and, as you mentioned, some privacy for the parents. We are also very proud of our unbeatable location and affordable rates! Thank you for all of your compliments and for taking the time to complete the online review. We truly appreciate your feedback.

We look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 18 October 2008

We arrived in Anaheim and didn't have a place booked. We checked around and after seeing the amenities and location decided to stay at the Portofino Inn & Suites. The check in went well and booked it for two nights. We then went to our room and opened the door to an overwhelming stench. We also came to find out the phone jack was broken. We went downstairs and told them about our concerns and were told that the phone would be fixed the next day and we could move to another room. Well, we tried that only to find the next room smelled worse than the original. Also when we complained about the phone being broken, we were told that if we wanted a wake up call they could have security knock on the door. We also mentioned the smell in the rooms but that was not even acknowledged by the front desk staff. We checked out the next day and found another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
eCommerceCoordinator, eCommerce Coordinator at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2008

Dear PhxSuns1,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced and appreciate your time in completing the online review.

We have taken the proper steps to ensure that your concerns are addressed. The phone jack was professionally inspected the following day, which actually resulted in the repair of one of the cards in our main telephone switch. We do understand and apologize for the inconvenience this may have posed in your initial room.

We are constantly striving to deliver superior service, affordable rates and a hotel visit that our guests will enjoy.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 23 September 2008

My daughter and I just returned from our stay at Portofino Inn for a long weekend at Disneyland/So. CA. We were originally booked at the Jolly Roger but were transferred as the Jolly Roger was undergoing renovation. The Portofino is an excellent hotel, the staff all very friendly, free internet access, water in the lobby, very clean and inviting. Our room had a balcony, it was sooo clean (bathroom, too), shower worked great (room 1321) Rooms cleaned promptly, pool & hottub wonderful after a day in the parks, security great, very quiet. Was within walking distance to park, restaurants, conv. store & a bus t stop. No food service but we used the Jolly Roger Cafe (next door) Your kids can order off the kids menu free for lunch & dinner - saved $$$$$) It is a bit out-dated at The Jolly Roger but the staff so nice, good service, good food at a good price. I would definatly stay again!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank MellyRussi
eCommerceCoordinator, eCommerce Coordinator at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2008

Dear MellyRussi,

We want to thank you for taking the time to complete the online review and for all of your wonderful compliments! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you will definitely visit us again!

We truly have an unbeatable combination of affordable rates, superior service and prime location next to Disneyland® Park that our guests love!

As you mentioned, the Jolly Roger Café, which is adjacent to us, offers American cuisine served in a casual setting for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The Jolly Roger was a bit dated; However, they are currently undergoing renovations that are going to be completed by mid November.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you again soon!