“This Is A Budget Hotel... Don't Expect Anything More!”

Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel
Ranked #39 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 20 September 2010

Our family of 6 (Mom & Dad, 4 children aged 11 through 2) just returned from a 6-night stay at the Portofino. When visiting Disneyland in the past, we've usually stayed further south on Harbor Blvd. and have driven in to Disneyland. This time, we wanted to try a hotel within "walking distance", and decided to give the Portofino a shot.

First of all, people need to understand that this is a value/budget hotel, and need to set their expectations accordingly. Due to its low rates and proximity to Disneyland, there are a lot of people moving through this hotel; as a result, the furniture & linens look a bit worn... because they're constantly used! So we tried to keep that in mind during our stay, because our family typically stays in a Hilton or Marriott hotel with "nicer" amentities, but further away from the park. So going into this stay, we kept reminding ourselves that it wouldn't be fair to compare the Portofino to the other hotels in Anaheim we've stayed at previously. Apples & oranges!

The positives: the staff were extremely friendly and efficient, and the location couldn't be beat. The walk to Disneyland is about 1/2 mile, and even with a laden-down double stroller and our older two children walking alongside, it only took 10-15 minutes door to door. The A/C worked very well, the ice machine and elevators were great (and weren't really audible from the rooms), the Bath & Body Works shampoos/soaps were nice, and the hair dryer worked great. Having 2 TV's in the Kids Suite was helpful, and the kids loved the novelty of the bunkbed, as well as the pull-out couch.

The negatives: The fridge in our room wasn't very cold, and had no little "freezer" compartment at the top; we have an autistic son that only eats certain foods, and we had planned to freeze ice packs every night to bring his lunch into the park.. Not having a proper freezer didn't allow us to do this. The wooden wardrobe/closet also smelled very musty upon our arrival; however, a day or so airing it out seemed to dispel most of the odor. Also, there are few accessible electrical outlets (for recharging iPhones, Nintendos, etc.)

But the biggest gripe we had during our stay is that the bath towels had many long, black hairs all over them. Talk about feeling like you have to take a shower right after taking a shower!

The first night that we called to request extra towels, the lady at the front desk was very sympathetic, and responded appropriately: "Oh, that's gross, I'm so sorry, etc.". New towels arrived promptly... with extra hair! (4 of the 6). The next night, same story. Again, apologies were offered and new hairy towels were delivered. By the 4th night of repeating this pattern, it was almost comical. We asked ourselves: if a guest calls up to specifically complain that there are strangers' hairs all over their towels, when the very nice housekeeping person shows up to deliver more, wouldn't it make sense to look at the new towels beforehand to ensure that THEY DON"T HAVE HAIR ON THEM? One would think so. Also, a tip for the front desk staff: apologies are nice, but they kind of lose their effectiveness when nothing changes day after day after day. We didn't want sympathy... we wanted clean towels! You did nothing to fix our problem, other than to sound empathetic and hope it would take care of itself. Buy hair nets; change your dryer filter... do something! Anyway, by the last night, all 6 of the towels delivered to our room while at the park were extra-hairy... my wife dried off with a hand towel ,as that's all she could find. (We won't mention what looked like bloodstains on two of the towels my wife found...)

Unfortunately, this experience kind of made us suspect everything else in the room, and affected the manner in which we could "relax" after a day in the park. In most other hotels, we'd come home from Disneyland, take a shower and flop on the bed without a second thought. But at the Portofino, that was no longer possible.

Due to this experience, we will not stay at the Portofino a second time. Again, we expected a budget hotel experience, but this was a bit too budget, even for us. For similar money, we'll return back to the hotels on Chapman & Harbor. For our family, it's worth the extra $$$ to have a full-size fridge/freezer, a breakfast, and worry-free linens.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2010

Dear chgumby,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at our Anaheim hotel during your recent visit to the area. We appreciate the list of positives you mentioned in your review; however, it is disappointing to hear that we failed to exceed your expectations. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay. All of your comments and suggestions have been taken seriously and, if they have not already, will be looked into further. Our housekeeping manager has been alerted of the towel situation you experienced. Please know that the appropriate actions have been taken to ensure this does not happen again. We are dedicated to delivering a comfortable and enjoyable stay for all of our guests, and hope that you will reconsider giving us another opportunity to accommodate you in the future.

Beckley Van Cleave, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,725)

Reviewed 5 September 2010

Stayed at the hotel from August 18 to 24 and was very pleasantly surprised. We were four adults and stayed in the kids suite (yes that is right we had no kids). This was a perfect size for use. Plenty of room, all the amenities that we needed, very clean!

The room had a newer carpet, bedding was newer, and the king bed also appeared fairly new. It was very comfortable. Great distance for walking to Disneyland with access to plenty of good restaurants. The room and hallways smelled a bit musty when we first arrived, but a quick airing out and all was fine. This is to be expect in hot, humid climates, and as the temperatures were in the 90s and 100s, what do you expect. The only negative I have about the room was one of the draps were torn and needed to be replaced, but it was very clean. This is a great room for families, with or without children.

The negative I have was when the airline contracted delivery services (yes my bags went to a different airport, but that is another blog) they phoned the hotel and they said I was not a registered guest and therefore refused to delivery our luggage. The UNITED delivery service was extremely rude so I did speak to the management of the hotel to let them know what they had claimed. A few days later my husband tried calling me at 11:30 pm and again they said I was not a registered guest (the room was in my name). Luckily he insisted I was and talked the individual on how to work the computer and do a search. I think they 11 to 7 shift needs more training or literacy skills.

Needless to say, great value, clean rooms and great location.

• Stayed: August 2010
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2010

Dear restseeker1,

We are thrilled to hear that we exceeded your expectations! It's great to hear how you were pleasantly surprised throughout your 7 day stay with us at our Anaheim hotel. We completely agree with you; our Kids Suites are the ideal choice for travelers, with or without kids! The extra space and amenities are exactly what's needed when traveling with family or friends, and we are so pleased to hear it worked out perfectly for your group of four adults. Please accept our apologies for the miscommunication that occurred at our front desk when your husband and delivery service called. We appreciate you bringing it to our attention and have taken the necessary steps to look into this further. Thank you very much for completing the review. Your time and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Reviewed 5 September 2010

Booked two rooms for 8 nights, for a great price. Service was terrific, staff were always available and handled our every request cheerfully. The rooms were a bit old, but clean. Location was terrific, only a block or so from the entrance to Disneyland, 10 minute walk. Pool was a bit ordinary, but who needs that with DL nearby. My mother's sink blocked up and they moved both my mother and us to new rooms immediately, and they gave us a discount on the already very good rate for the rooms. Very good service.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2010

Dear bilby001,

We can't thank you enough for your excellent review on our Anaheim hotel! It's always rewarding for our entire staff to hear that our dedication to superior customer service is commended by our guests. It is always our pleasure to assist our guests in any way we can that will ensure your stay with us is enjoyable. Keep in mind for your next visit, all of our guests are more than welcome to use the larger pool located right next door at the Anaheim Jolly Roger Hotel. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the Anaheim area.

Reviewed 4 September 2010

We booked this gem through Hotwire for an incredible $52 per night. It restored my faith in Hotwire after an incident six years ago. We HAD to get a last minute hotel room because the A/C had gone out on some of the hottest days in SoCal. Our daughter has multiple medical issues and can't tolerate heat so we had no choice. Because a hotel for the rest of our stay wasn't in our budget, we had to find something with as few $$$ as possible!
We arrived shortly after booking and Hotwire hadn't sent through the confirmation. We went to dinner at Downtown Disney, enjoyed some shopping and came back to find they had upgraded us for the inconvenience. The clerk wanted to make sure that we had a fridge so they gave us a Kid's Suite. It was spacious, clean and the middle door made it nice to keep privacy for us grown ups. The bed was comfortable, the ice makers were conveniently located and the A/C was a godsend!
The next morning we took a very short drive to Downtown Disney for breakfast. It has a few small coffee places close by as well. Even without Hotwire, I would have no problem choosing this place again for a budget vacation deal.

Dear TravelJem,

Thank you so much for your recent review on our Anaheim hotel! We are elated to be your gem in Anaheim accommodations and to hear that you enjoyed your upgrade in our Kids Suite. The extra space and amenities definitely provide the comfort and convenience that a family such as yours needs when traveling. We appreciate all of your wonderful compliments on our property, location and affordable rates. We're glad your daughter and the rest of the family found comfort and a good night's rest while staying with us. Thank you for your recommendation to family and friends. We'll look forward to accommodating you again soon!

Reviewed 24 August 2010

Portofino was a great place to stay. I had read several reviews before booking my reservation. The vast majority of the reviews were favorable, however there were a couple of negative reviews with respect to linens and cleanliness, so I was a bit concerned. We stayed in a kid’s suite with the bunk beds and our room was great! The linens, carpet, bathroom, etc. were all very clean and the room was in overall great condition. The fridge and microwave were welcome amenities. I spoke to a few other guests on the elevators and as we walked down the hallway. All of them were pleased with the accommodations as well, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The walk from the door of our room to the main gate of Disneyland was only 10 minutes. Even though the property is located near the busy corner of Harbor and Katella, the rooms were very quiet. We didn’t hear any traffic noise except for the occasional emergency vehicle siren. Overall, Portofino is a great value for the money. We will recommend Portofino to all of our friends and family as the place to stay on Disneyland trips. Thanks Portofino!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
eCommerceCoordinator, General Manager at Portofino Inn & Suites Anaheim Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2010

Dear beachboy08,

Thank you for such an excellent review on our Anaheim hotel! We are thrilled that you and your family had such a great experience with us. We would all like to thank you for the wonderful compliments on our friendly and helpful staff, clean accommodations and, of course, our prime location! It's always exciting to be right across the street from Disneyland! All of our guests enjoy the convenience of being so close to the attractions, as well as many restaurants and shops in our immediate area. We are happy that you found quality and value at affordable rates here at the Anaheim Portofino. Thank you for your recommendation to all of your friends and family. Come back and see us again soon!

Regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2010

This hotel is in a great location - easy to get to Disneyland. Its a haul with small kids but it was easier to walk than to walk across the street (scary streets to cross!) and then lug stroller on and off the bus.

The rooms are sort of "masked" as a makeover, but if you look close you can see that there are issues. the sinks are stained and the bathroom floor isn't the best. The towels are very flimsy and the bedding is old fashioned. The dresser drawers were impossible to push in and out. I told the front desk twice and it was never fixed. Also, the light above one of the sink areas didn't always come on. Again, told the front desk twice and it was never fixed. The laundry facility was pretty run down - the washer/dryer were dirty and I even needed help because quarters kept jamming. The pictures make this hotel look a lot nicer than it really is.

But the Kids Suite worked for us and we really only slept in the room so I would say it was a good value. It was clean and worked well for what we were looking for. It was by no means "gross" or "smelly" as some have said....but it does need some updating.

My biggest issue was the front desk staff. They have no clue what they are talking about. It seems like they are only told to tell guests to stay in the "Disney" area, because anything 2 blocks beyond it, they know nothing about. I asked for a mall and told there wasn't a good one in Anaheim. Meanwhile, we drove around and found a GREAT mall just a few miles away. It was called the Orange Block and had great shopping and great restaurants. When I asked for help with getting to LA, the girl at the desk had no idea how to help me. I would think when you have people coming in from all over the world - your front desk staff should be well versed in the surrounding areas. That part was very disappointing.

The internet connection very intermittent. The pool was tiny - not sure why my Disney book gave it a 7 out of 10, but my kids liked it.

I would stay here again for the convenience to Disney....but I would do my homework ahead of time to no where I want to go rather than relying on front desk staff. I hope they put some money into this place and update towels, bedding, furniture, etc. It would surely make it a nice place.

Dear apr68,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback by completing the review on our Anaheim hotel. It certainly is disappointing for our entire staff to hear of your interactions with our front desk team members. Please accept our sincere apologies and know that this is an exception; it is not the typical feedback we receive on our staff. We appreciate your comments and have taken the appropriate actions to look into this further. We are, however, very pleased to read that our Kids Suite worked out for you and your family. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for recommending our property. We hope you will give us the opportunity to accommodate you again in the near future.

Beckley Van Cleave

Reviewed 23 August 2010

I was very pleased with my stay at Portofino. The beds were comfortable, it was about a 10 minute walk from Disneyland and there is a IHOP right across the street that wasn't very busy.
The only thing I had a problem with was the internet connection in the bedrooms and balcony. It was slow and sometimes it would disconnect. It works well in the lobby, though.
Parking is free, they have a laundry room guest can use.
I spoke with several people that complained of the pool area being small and always very crowded. We didn't use the pool, so it wasn't an issue for us.
I would definitely recommend it and plan on staying there myself again.

Dear Johnfcar,

It is so wonderful to hear of your comfort and enjoyment during your recent stay at our Anaheim hotel! Thank you so very much for all of your great compliments on our accommodations and location. There are times during our busy summer months where our pool is a popular place to be; however, please keep in mind for your next visit that all of our guests are welcomed to use the larger pool located right next door at the Anaheim Jolly Roger Hotel. We appreciate your feedback on the internet connection in your room and apologize for the inconvenience. We will definitely look into any improvements that can be made in certain areas. Thank you for your recommendation of our property. We are excited for the opportunity to welcome you back upon your return to the Anaheim area!

Best,