“Acceptable but wouldn't stay again”
Review of Anaheim Marriott

Anaheim Marriott
Ranked #30 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Here is how I rate my reviews:
1 or 2 means something really bad happened.
3 means nothing terrible happened, but there were a number of things not up to par and I wouldn't stay there again.
4 implies I would be willing to stay there again because the experience was overall positive.
5 suggests an amazing location with essentially no flaws.

These rooms were small. The furniture was adequate. The pool was adequate, but not at all special. The service was adequate. I had to stay here because I was part of a convention, and I expected it to be crowded. The Starbucks line was actually handled quite well, considering the crowds. The pool was too small for the number of people here, though, and located with very little sun. The hotel everywhere felt average, not at all luxurious.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 July 2012

Me and my daughter stayed at the Marriot for just three nights for a business trip. We were hardly at the hotel but whole we were there we had a good expirence. All of the staff were very helpful and nice and cleaned our room every night, my daughter left stuffed animals on the bed and the housekeeping staff arranged them in a very cute way, which she loved! It would be very convinent if you were planning on going to Disney. The area and pool were both nice and we would love to come back! The only downside is breakfast if you have a large family it can get quite expensive! We ate a Starbucks two mornings and had the buffet breakfast once(which was quite xpensive for what you get).

Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I brought my daughter and a friend to a conference at the Anaheim convention Center. I have been looking forward to quiet days spent lounging at the pool, which I had done when the conference was held at a different hotel.

Was I surprised to see the pandemonium in the hotel lobby when I arrived. Not only was the Marriott hosting the Vidcon convention, there was the National American Miss beauty pageant and a huge dance competition being held here at the hotel. The entire main floor was flooded with people congregating for their various events.

I went to our room and changed to go to the pool. When I got there I realized there were no available chairs, and the small pool was full of splashing kids. I asked an employee if there was any outdoor quiet space to read and he replied that there was not.

The lobby was full and the line at Starbucks was unbelievable. I ended up buying a drink in the bar just to find some relative quiet. I then spent many hours in my room, as there was nowhere inviting to go. I spent the next day escaping the hotel, as there is plenty of nearby dining and shopping.

I know that the Marriott must be quieter during the week. However, if I were to stay at a quieter time, I still would be disappointed with the lack of access to the outdoors. Many rooms have balconies. Mine did not, so I felt like a shut-in for much of the weekend.
Though I have been a loyal customer with Marriott, I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I "won" a 2 night stay at this hotel in an auction at my daughter's school. We usually stay at another hotel in Anaheim, but I thought the Marriott would be a nice change of pace, maybe a different level of hotel since we usually stay in a more discounted hotel. When I called to set up the reservation, the woman, I was directed to, Ann , was VERY kind and helpful. She asked me how many people would be staying. I expected that I would be told that 5 would be too many for one room. Instead, said, "Well, why don't I just give you 2 connecting rooms for those nights?!" I was so surprised. Not only was the Marriott so kind in donating those 2 nights to my daugther's school, but she was actually upgrading me to 2 rooms!!
When we arrived, the lobby was very large and inviting. It seems to be a business/convention type hotel, especially since it is located so close to the Anaheim Convention Center, but there were plenty of families around as well. We got to our connecting rooms, and as I requested, we were in handicapped accessible rooms. My parent's room had a king bed and lots of room. There was a microwave and fridge in the room, flat screen television, a sitting area, and a large bathroom. In addition to a seat in the shower, it was a walk in, where you did not have to step in for the shower, making it very easy to get in. My parents LOVED their room.

Our connecting room was very nice as well....2 double beds, fridge, and though the bathroom was smaller, it had everything necessary. There were balconies that overlooked the pool area, which was a nice feature.

We were not at the hotel much because we were at Disneyland, but my parents were, and they really enjoyed the room, the hotel. My kids and I went down to the hotel pool and hot tub one of our 2 nights, and though the pool was cool (It was late), my kids found it very easy to get used to the water. I stayed in the hot tub, which was kept at a good temperature.

The business room was available for internet use, but there was a charge for internet time and for printing. This was different from the Marriott we stayed at in Coronado, where the business center allowed free internet usage and free printing. The Anaheim Marriott would allow boarding pass printing at the front desk, but anything beyond that, there was a charge.

This hotel was very nice, spacious, had a great location and very kind staff. No complaints about this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank twcsmom
Reviewed 29 June 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for a convention - my second time in four years. It has been a wonderfully pleasant experience each time. The staff members are very friendly and helpful, the bellman are wonderful, the food is pretty good, and the housekeeping staff is great. The property has an on-site Starbucks and Marketplace with a variety of offerings and an equal pleasant crew.

This hotel is adjacent/connected to the Anaheim Convention Center and across the street from a Hilton property, which makes it ideal for large scale business meetings. The AV staff is top notch and the meetings rooms are optimal for several hundred people to feel comfortable. The property is very well lit and I felt safe as a single female business traveler in the hotel.

But, because this hotel is so close to Disneyland, there will be scores of children/families running around - particularly in the summer months. This means a wait for elevators and restaurants seating, so you'll have to budget your time accordingly.

There are only a few setbacks to this property. Its distance from all other eating establishments makes it challenging to grab a bite to eat between meetings so pack snacks if you have a long business day. Their Marriott Elite members' lounge is not open on the weekends.

Also the housekeeping staff came to my room rather early (before 9am in some instants). I felt the housekeeping schedule didn't give me enough time to get breakfast, workout, shower, and dressed for my full day of meetings. And although I made a joke about it with the front desk staff (who left messages requesting a time when the room could be serviced), I was rather surprised that the housekeeping schedule was so early. The flip side to this is that the room cleaning is very detailed - among the best I have experienced at a Marriott property.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel as it is my "go to" location when visiting Anaheim.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Lexielen
Reviewed 28 June 2012

During our recent trip to Disneyland, we stayed on the concierge level both at the Marriott in Anaheim and at Disney's Paradise Pier, and it was interesting to compare the two.

Staff - All the Marriott staff were far and away more friendly, professional, and helpful than the Disney staff. In particular, the concierge at the Marriott was extremely helpful at locating an alternate route for us back up to the Bay Area so we could avoid areas of I-5 that are tied up in traffic snarls due to construction.

Room Comfort -- The beds in both hotels were very comfortable, but the Disney bed was the most comfortable, the bathroom was more spacious and the furnishings seemed more updated.

Internet Service/Parking -- Internet service was included at Disney, and parking was $15 a day compared to $24 a day at the Marriott. However, the overall daily rate of Paradise Pier was much higher than that of the Marriott.

Accessibility to Disneyland -- From Paradise Pier you can walk across the street and cut through the Disney Grand Californian to get to get private Disney resort guest entrance into California Adventure. However, around park opening, which is when we always went, that entrance gets so backed up with other resort guests using this entrance that it's better to walk all the way around through Downtown Disney to get into the park. It's only about a 10 minute walk, though.

From the Marriott, you can just catch the ART shuttle outside the Marriott. If you miss the Marriott Shuttle, there's also a Hilton Shuttle that was picking up close or at the Marriott shuttle stop due to construction currently underway. We always go to the parks early, before they open, and then come back during the afternoon to swim and rest before heading out again. We got 3 day shuttle passes for $10.00 a person. For us, the shuttle system was dependable and convenient, and the only time we weren't able to get a seat was one night when we stayed until park closing. Actually, it reminded me of using the Disney bus system from the resorts to the parks at DisneyWorld in Florida.

Pools - Well, of course my daughter preferred the Paradise Pier pool facilities. There is a long roller coaster waterslide alongside the pool. The Paradise Pier pool itself is not so special, but it does have a deep end -- the pool at the Marriott does not get any deeper than four feet all the way around. However, parents with children that are not strong swimmers might see this as a good thing. The Marriott pool area did look pleasant with both indoor and outside areas.

Concierge Lounge -- The Paradise Pier lounge is open from 6:30 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. The Marriott lounge is open from 6:30 a.m. until 10:00 a.m. for breakfast, and then again from 5:00 p.m. until 10:00 p.m. However, this lounge is only open from Sunday - Thursday. The Marriott offers a full hot breakfast, with eggs, potatos, bacon or sausage, as well as the usual continental breakfast offerings -- bagels, pastries, toast, cereal, juice, coffee, etc. Paradise Pier only offered continental breakfast, but the overall quality of everything they offered was quite fresh and good. For people like us who get to the park prior to the 7:00 a.m. early entry hours, it was a time saver, enabling us to get a quick cup of coffee and a muffin and fruit before getting on our way.

During the day, the Paradise Pier lounge offers a fruit bowl and some junk food -- cookies, snack mix, potato chips, as well as sodas and juices. During the evening, the Marriott has one hot appetizer (salmon and spinach on the one evening we went), a small plate of cheese cubes, a plate of water crackers, and a vegetable tray and possibly some tortilla chips. Sodas and juices are complimentary and alcohol is available for purchase. Paradise Pier offered one hot appetizer (spring rolls) an elaborate assortment of good cheese, an assortment of crackers and sliced French bread, vegetables and dip, chocolate dipped strawberries and ornate little tarts. They also offered complimentary beer and wine. The Marriott spread appeared meager by comparison, but then, access to the concierge lounge is free if you're a Marriott elite member. The Paradise Pier concierge lounge carries a $125 daily surcharge, and although it's nice you could save a lot of money by stocking up on your own cookies and muffins and sodas.

We enjoyed our stay at both hotels, and would return to both of them again. It was actually a nice mix, because although we enjoyed the facilities and comforts of the Paradise Pier hotel slightly more, it was a great relief to not have to depend on the Paradise Pier staff for the type of extra assistance we were able to get at the Marriott. Really, the concierge at the Marriott saved us hours of just sitting in traffic on I-5 -- not only did she look up the latest traffic updates, but she printed out directions. for us.

Room Tip: Ask for a room from which you can view the fireworks at Disneyland.