“Stayed here before but this time it wasn't good”
Review of Anaheim Marriott

Anaheim Marriott
Ranked #30 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 June 2008

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel several times before as it is close to Disney and was affordable. Each time the hotel was great. For some reason this time expectations fell a bit short. In the past they had plenty of free on site parking that was located right on the hotel property. This time I was surprised to see that the free parking lot was reserved for Valet only. To valet park it is 27 bucks. So I checked in and inquired about parking, since the last time was there in 2005 they built a huge parking garage behind the hotel and they now charge $20 a day to park. That kinda irked me as in the past and for years you can park for free and now it is $20 a day. And to boot the parking garage is very far away from the front of the hotel and quite dangerous too if you walk outside around the property. They really don't have a walkway so you are walking in the street and a car could easily hit you. I thought it was way too dangerous and far too expensive. That is the real major complaint other than that it was an ok experience. I did reserve a king bed but got 2 doubles and asked why this happened and was told that upon my late check in all the rooms were reserved. They now charge for high speed online in the room. I know it is free in the lobby but I don't want to sit in the lobby and watch a baseball game for 3 hours on my lap top. And the final catch about the parking is that the charge does not get added to your Marriott rewards points. From what I hear there is a Courtyard by Marriott close by I might stay there from now on.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 May 2008

I stayed at this hotel with my sister and her son. I picked this hotel, as the one we really wanted was not available. I always stay at Marriott, Hiltons and Westins, as I like first class service and rooms. When we arrived, the front desk staff was really good and gave us free parking for the duration. The hotel offers free WII Fi at the pool and lobby, which made it really handy. The restaurant food was good, but the servers, were really slow. Also, we were on a plan where the kids eat free. Had to mention it all the time and the first time, had to fight for it. Didn't really make much of a savings, considering the adult meals were a little pricey.
My only major complaint was the rooms.These rooms were very old looking and the bathrooms were extremely small. I asked for a larger room, as there was three of us and we felt cramped. They gave us a handicap room, which was much more comfortable, but I don't know how anyone in a wheelchair would get through the bathroom door!!. It couldn't have been more the 36inches wide and they only had a bar in the tub. No lowered counters either.So someone in a wheelchair would have get out of their chair in the hall and drag themselves to the toilet and tub.
We stayed in a Fairmont hotel the night before our flight to LA and it was gorgeous. Was the first time my nephew has stayed in a hotel and he even commented on the room at the Marriott.
They are planning on renovating the rooms this year, but just know that the rooms are not done, just the common areas.
Travel Agent from Vancouver BC

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 4 May 2008

I've stayed at this hotel several years in row for an annual meeting my company attends at the convention center. The best part is that the hotel is literally right next door to the convention center and it does have a nice lobby/restuarant area for meeting with clients.

However, the rooms are starting to look very dated and it looks like this hotel has not been updated in at least 10 years (Minus the beds- they were comfortable w/ new linens) The carpet looked dirty/worn and the bathroom was pretty dingy. The hallways are dark with wallpaper peeling off the walls~ you can tell this hotel gets a lot of traffic and needs some TLC.

I stayed at a newly remodeled Marriott (Midtown, NYC) about a month ago (flat screens, fancy bathrooms, etc) and they really need to do the same with the hotel!! The location is great but everything else needs improvement.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2008

I stayed at this hotel during a convention for work.

It has been remodeled. The exterior looks a bit dated, but the interior is lovely.

The guest rooms are nicely appointed.

The restraunts serve great food and it is home to one of the largest Starbucks I have ever seen.

The Kinkos closed early on the day that I needed copies, fortunately the hotel staff accomodated my request.

This is very close to the convention center and about a $8 cab ride to Disney.

Very nice!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 April 2008

This is a fine hotel... It's huge and accomodating for conferences and business, and the management sells it as such. If your company's paying for everything, and it's not too bad. It's a 3-star as opposed to 4-star as they rate it.
The decor is a bit dated, very 80-ish. Large corridors, carpeted floors, very typical of that era. If you get a room on facing Convention Way facing Hilton, that's not a bad view, otherwise, like us, we got a room facing the backlot over the roofs of other hotels, not so sitely.
As I said, the hotel is FINE, but would I pay the rack rate of $209, definitely not. Don't forget the $20 parking (most expensive of all hotels in Anaheim -- The Hilton across just raised their price to $15 recently). $13/day for Internet (outrageous: though they claim LD calls to US are part of the deal). $15 for fridge although the cooler in room was adequate. NO MICROWAVE (as I said, very 80s hotel). In room safe is only nice feature I found. The rooms were small and again looked dated, although clean. Bed and pillows were comfortable. Bathroom is old but clean (needs some renovations).

Maid/Front desk very helpful/cheerful and accomodating but there's only so much they can do with the charges... "Julie" from frontdesk was particularly helpful...

Overall, this is good if you are going to Anaheim Convention Center (next door), but NOT GOOD if you are going to Disneyland. 15 minute 1 mile walk. I won't pay for shuttle since it's NOT THAT FAR, but on the other hand, it can be tiring after a long day at DL. Location is not good from DL. Next time, I would likely stay at some other Motels with more offerings closer to DL.

Recap: $$$ if you want to add everything that other "lower" hotels offer (eg: Holiday Inn), but if you are on business, get the company to pay for it. Mind you, in that case, I'd stay at the Hilton across the street (more extravagant).

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank VancouverPete
Reviewed 25 March 2008

Just returned from a Disneyland trip and stayed at the Mariott. We were a little scared after reading all of the negative reviews. We were very glad to find out that the hotel was much better than we expected. The rooms are average looking with nice balconies and comfortable beds. The Starbucks in the lobby is very nice. The parking garage is a long walk from your room and is $20 per day. We did walk the first few days to Disneyland and then took a shuttle the next few days. This hotel is clean and the staff are very friendly. It has a hotel feel rather than a resort feel but we would stay here again.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 24 March 2008

We took our son to Disneyland for the first time during spring break and I booked our trip through Costco online which they reserved our hotel with Marriot Anaheim. The staff was very friendly and they only charged us $10.00 for valet parking. The staff was helpful and met our needs. The bathrooms were small but our rooms were clean and our beds were made during our stay. There was remodeling going on during our stay but it did not cause a problem. I enjoyed our stay at this hotel and I would stay there again.