“OK Marriott Property - Beware of the Fees”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Anaheim Marriott

Anaheim Marriott
Ranked #27 of 117 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersBronze level
Atlanta, GA
“OK Marriott Property - Beware of the Fees”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was my second stay at this Anaheim Marriott (for a convention).

Check-in:
Traveling with a group, we always call ahead and make sure our keys are ready before arrival (which we did on this trip, about 2 hours prior to arriving at the Anaheim Marriott). However, the front desk didn't know where our keys were, leading to about 15 minutes of confusion and security threatening to tow our motorcoach (with ~50 people on board) unless we moved.

Once the keys were provided, we easily made our way to the rooms (LOVE the new elevator system).

The rooms are very well appointed - we had a Luxury Suite for our group and it was one of the nicer hospitality suites we've had at a Marriott property.

The one thing that erks me about this property is the number of fees charged for every small thing - I have stayed at a LOT of Marriott properties but have never once been charged for using a bellman to assist with luggage (tipping is expected, but never a fee).

Wifi is $12+ a day (I ended up having to use the hardwire ethernet cable because I couldn't get a signal for wireless). $17+ for "enhanced speed internet".

The restaurant prices were also high ($17 for a vegetarian pasta), although I will say the food was quite good.

The location is great if visiting Disneyland - you are far enough away yet within walking distance to both Disneyland and Disney California Adventure).

*A hint for those visiting Disney* - if you walk down West Convention Way to the Toy Story Parking Lot, you can catch the free shuttle that drops you off by both park entrances. No need to pay for the ART bus or hotel shuttle to the parks.

Overall, the hotel is nice, but I'm turned off by the nickle-and-diming at every turn. There are other options in the area that offer similar quality at cheaper prices.

Room Tip: If you want to see the Disney fireworks, ask for a room facing the Hilton above the 9th floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BradOnTheGo
Dan S, Director of Sales at Anaheim Marriott, responded to this review, 26 May 2015
Thank you for your honest review. Could you please private message me with your full name and dates you stayed so that we can do some research on our end? Also if you could provide your rewards number that might help too.

Dan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (464)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had a great convention experience at the Marriott Anaheim and the convention center. Location was so convenient to not only the surrounding hotels but restaurants outside the hotel/convention center as well as getting to Disney was a breeze! Walking distance!! The hotel took great care of us. My only negative is the lack of restaurants on site but I think they are under construction.

Room Tip: We were near the pool - might be a little loud but I didn't mind!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback. Our hotel is currently undergoing a major $11M renovation that includes a complete re-design of the lobby, guest registration, restaurant, bar, pool deck and guest rooms. The public space areas are almost finished and the guest rooms will be completed by mid-December. Hopefully this will alleviate any concerns about our rooms in the future.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

I stayed for 4 nights while in town for business. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel is very large and has a Starbuck's and sandwich shop in the lobby for snacks. The room was nice and roomy and very clean. Plenty of restaurants in the area even within walking distance. They were performing some upgrades to the elevators so elevator travel was very slow but it has to be done sometime. The only issue I encountered was the self parking, the card that they gave me never allowed me out of the parking lot so I had to always call for assistance which usually consisted of a 10 minute wait. Other than that no complaints the ground were beautiful spacious felt safe and conveniently located.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your positive feedback. We'll be sure to take all the points mentioned into consideration.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

We had a huge convention at the convention center and they hosted a lot of people. The convention brought over 80,000 people to Anaheim and they did it well. I cant believe how smoothly it went. They had extra staff on hand and made it run well. Good job!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to write us a positive review. We're pleased to hear that your experience with us was satisfying. We hope you book another stay with us soon!

Thanks,
Beaumont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

All I have to say is that I had an excellent stay at this hotel. The staff is super friendly and the location is very convinient. The rooms are clean and of a good size. The bathroom was also very clean.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Cristian U
Thank you for the positive review! We strive every day to provide excellent customer service to our guests. We hope you book another stay with us soon.

San Diego, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

"How Rude!" in my best Stephanie Tanner voice from Full House.

I do not normally write bad reviews and more often than not I'd like to give folks the benefit of the doubt; however, this is my third night in the establishment and it has been disappointing at best. This review will focus mostly on the service from the staff at this hotel...but before I get down to the dirty deets...let me just say that the food and service down at the restaurant (while still under renovation) has been the best part of this trip (and that's not saying much)...we have been eating in a hotel lobby! (so strange eating in a lobby...)

Ok...let's just get down to it... the service has been sub-par for what I know of Marriott, and it seems like my fellow yelpers have experienced this for themselves...so now I know my experience is not an anomaly. (P.S. my family has been part of Marriott management for years...so I have stayed in Marriott hotels all over the country and I know what the staff at these hotels are capable of...and this is not acceptable!)

Here we go:
1) who calls and complains about noise during the Disneyland fireworks show? (that starts at 9:30pm)
2) what member of management entertains such a call and then proceeds to come to the room to tell us to "shut the door!"
3)then, not even an hour later, the general manager on duty (Brian - naming names) rudely (and by rudely - I mean speaking in a manner unbecoming of a hospitality staff member, which is not what I believe is the Marriott way of service) returned and told us that the suites are meant for business not for parties...right, because you put a billiard table, a Bose speaker system, and a bar in this room it is meant for meetings!? Uh, no! #rude #unacceptable (P.S. there are no meetings tables in this entire suite!) I dislike rude people who lie and abuse their authority and power over others.

This was just one night out of the three nights we have stayed here...I could keep going, but I'm not sure you all would read it because at this point...you get it...the staff have not lived up to the Marriott standard. If it weren't for this conference we have planned to have at this location in a few months...I would not be back. Anyone that is considering bringing there business here might want to think twice...is it really worth the hassle, headache, and rude service?!

Get it together Marriott!

Oh, and another thing... Can you fix your TVs?! Our room only gets half the channels and the remote won't work. #fail

Room Tip: Find a room facing the Hilton to watch the fireworks from Disneyland
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Grace B
Thank you for your detailed honest review. I'd like to check into this more. Could you please private message me here with your name and nights you stayed?

Clovis, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We have stayed here many times. The last time we stayed was a little disappointing. Our room wasn't clean and the furnishings were tired and worn. The staff is friendly and took care of the items that needed attention. We unfortunately stayed in a room over very loud machines that were even heard when the doors and windows were shut. The hotel was full so we couldn't move to another room. The tower we stayed was older and needs to be updated. The building was certainly showing it's age and the elevators were having equipment problems. We have stayed here before in a better room and didn't have the problems, so ask for a newer location away from machines. We would try to stay here again if there was a great offer through the trip advisors site, and make the above mentioned requests.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from air conditioning units and machines. Also ask for a room in the newer...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ginadesign
Thanks for your honest review. Yes, our hotel is currently undergoing a major $11M renovation that includes a complete re-design of the lobby, guest registration, restaurant, bar, pool deck and guest rooms. The public space areas will be finished by the end of October and the guest rooms will be completed by mid-December. We have included images of what the new design will look like on this page, and are doing our best to get the word out there. I welcome you back once everything is complete to check out the amazing amenities we offer.