“Good Eats”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Big Thunder Ranch BBQ inside Disneyland is a great place to stop and rest awhile. The BBQ ribs and dry rubbed chicken were both fantastic. The other food choices were also good. The place is a bit spendy, but I thought it was worth it for an all you can eat meal. The stage shows are annoying though.

1  Thank TheTickTockMan

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We absolutely love coming here for lunch or dinner when we are at Disneyland. The food is delicious and atmosphere is great - We have been here once for lunch and once for dinner. For dinner you are served: ribs, chicken, sausage, cole slaw, baked beans, corn on the cobb, and corn bread. Lunch is the same minus the corn on the cobb and sausage - for I believe maybe $6 or so pp. When we were there for dinner there was a little show going which was cute and entertaining. The food comes out quickly and is really the best food I've had in the resort.

1  Thank FoodieLovesVacation
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Big Thunder Ranch BBQ is a somewhat unique place to eat in Disneyland. The food was good and our waitress was very friendly last time we went. We got our food in a reasonable amount of time and didn't have to wait long for "refills". Big Thunder is all-you-can-eat, so come hungry. I'm not big on ribs, but everyone else liked them a lot. I preferred the chicken which had a great flavor. Everyone loved the special coleslaw which is zesty and vinegar-based instead of creamy. The beans and cornbread were good too.

Visually, Thunder Ranch BBQ has cute decor (especially in fall) and feels secluded on the side of the park. To me, this very small section of Frontierland that feels sort of nostalgic and almost forgotten. It's off to the corner in the back near the petting zoo (some people don't realize there IS a petting zoo and a little cabin you can walk through).

Big Thunder BBQ also has entertainment. I wasn't big on the stage show (more for little kids, who may enjoy it), but the singing cowboy was entertaining.

The price was the only issue. If I recall right, it was hovering around $25-30. It's not as if it's $100 a plate restaurant, but it adds up when eating with a group. The other issue I have with all-you-can-eat in general is that I can't eat all that much.

Still, a fun experience. I would like to go again.

1  Thank EmCJeff
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had an absolutely fantastic lunch here but I'm sure with the greater offerings at dinner, that meal is even better! We had reservations for the first seating of the day so we didn't have a long wait for a table. (This restaurant will seat smaller parties together at the same table but if you are uncomfortable with that, they will give you your own table.) Seating is outside on picnic tables festively adorned with checkered tablecloths and shaded by awnings. Red, white and blue flowers, mason jar glasses, and decorative bunting create the atmosphere of a country hoe-down. This all-you-can-eat meal is served family style, appropriately served in pails. The initial serving consists of a fair amount of food for your party size, but should you desire more of something, you need only tell your server. The BBQ meal consists of ribs, chicken. beans, coleslaw, and cornbread. On the day we visited, the ribs were only fair but the chicken was fall-off-the-bone delicious. The coleslaw is that tasty oil & vinegar variety and the cornbread is so moist it would melt in your mouth. Everything is so good, you'll be tempted to stuff yourself but make sure you save room for dessert. We sampled the family-sized cookie sundae and agreed it was the best dessert we had on our week long stay at Disney. (Either order this early during your meal or be prepared to wait a while as the kitchen needs extra prep time to create this masterpiece.) Served warm in a skillet with a pitcher of hot fudge sauce on the side, this sinful offering was more than my party of three adults could finish. Service at this eatery is also excellent...our drinks and food buckets were never empty and the waitstaff were very cheerful. This restaurant boasts a stage and we caught a performance of two talented country singers. Alas, we didn't see Woody from Toy Story although they did play that song "You've Got a Friend". Some complain this eatery is pricey, but considering it's in a theme park and the amount of tasty food you are able to eat, we found it to be a very good value. Overall, a fantastic meal.

3  Thank Donna S
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This is not a saucy barbecue. I loved it! Sevice was a bit slow, but the staff was extremely friendly! Ribs, chicken, baked beans. corn bread, and cole slaw are serviced. Ice cold iced tea and lemonade were our choices to drink. Wait staff are constantly refilling. Well worth the stop!

1  Thank serendipityetc