“So impressed with hotel, service and staff”

Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
San Diego, California
“So impressed with hotel, service and staff”
Reviewed 13 March 2011

Review

I wanted to take my 17yr old daughter and her three friends to Disney. Called around and the only hotel I could find close by Disney was paradise pier. I had not stayed here before and the only room they had available was a standard room w two queen beds with concierge service. I had no idea what that entailed, but I booked it. the price was a bit steep by my standards with tax it was around $330.
The day before our arrival I called to see if anyone had cancelled at any of the Disney hotels or if there were any better deals. There were not. Unbeknownst to me, when I checked in the next day, we had been upgraded to a 1bedroom suite.  that meant all four girls could have their own room. I got the front room with a fabulous & comfy couch,tv, my own bathroom and a dinning table. The room had a coffee maker microwave and refrigerator and DVD player.  The bed room had two queen beds, tv, DVD player, large bathroom and a desk.  The rooms have wireless Internet.  The best part was that our room faced California adventure and I was able to watch both the water/light show and the fireworks from my room and they had an audio channel on the tv that is synched with the music. The room had turn-down service and they left us lots of character chocolate coins.  When we returned from dinner we found a plate of Mickey shaped rice crispy treats in our room.  My daughter and her friend enjoyed the very large chocolate dipped strawberries from the concierge lounge and were asked if they wanted a tray to take more up to their rooms.  Because the room wasn't available when they said it would be the guest services gave my daughter and her friends each 4 fast passes to any ride of their choice at Disney.  Wow! I have to say I am very impressed with the hotel & staff.  The rooms were impeccable. I highly recommend the Paradise Pier hotel.

Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Bpilot

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 February 2011

First of all, let me say that I came in knowing I was paying for the Disney experience. After waiting my entire life (I'm 25, hahah...) to stay in a Disneyland Resort hotel, I finally got to. I'm fully aware I could get a similar room at another hotel in the area for less. However, given the fact that my family has always wanted to try a Disneyland Resort hotel, but still wanted to spend a reasonable amount of money, we chose Paradise Pier.

I read a lot of reviews of the three hotels here on TA, looked at pictures, read about the hotels on allears.net... and we decided Paradise Pier (PP) was our best bet. I got a good deal with my annual pass ($174 per night, for Friday and Saturday nights), and it could've been around $150 if I had stayed during the week. Yes, more expensive than other area hotels, but fully half the price of the Grand Californian (whose rooms I hear are smaller than PP or the DL Hotel).

We parked in the PP structure behind the hotel around 8 AM so we could head into the park. Easy parking, and we just walked up to Downtown Disney and over to the main entrance plaza -- it took us about 10 minutes. Check-in is supposed to be at 3 PM, but they happily checked us in at 2 PM when we came back because my mom was getting very sick. (Bummer. =\ ) The cast members were very helpful and check-in was speedy.

Our room had two queen beds and a sofa bed, and we got the "city view". (Hah.) On the 6th floor, that means we could see the crazy people swimming in 50 degree weather, rain, and howling wind... and the parking lots. But hey, I'm fine with that. I think a "park view" would have cost about $40 more, I'm not sure.

I LOVED the decorations in the room! Gah. I love the Disney theme, but it wasn't SUPER kitschy. The color scheme was bright and cheerful (blues and greens) without being obnoxiously neon and in your face. The beds were comfortable and the pillows were down (or something equivalent) -- 4 per bed. There were extra blankets, sheets, and pillows in the closet, as well as a pop-up crib for people traveling with kids.

Best of all -- down duvets!!! And there were no questionable bedspreads -- the duvets were sandwiched between two sheets, so you know everything's very nice and fresh. :D

There is a good selection of cable channels plus Disney channels and a bedtime story channel. The TV was a sleek flat panel with convenient plug attachments on the front for HDMI cables and other things -- I assume so kids can bring their own video game consoles. Cool! Also in the cabinet was a small mini-fridge and a safe. You won't get a microwave, so just prepare yourself to shell out for food or bring your own snacks.

The desk had a neato pull out extra smaller table on rollers you could move around which my dad found handy for doing some work on the couch. The desk had a broadband cable inside (ie -- no wireless, but come on... do you really come to Disneyland for internet?) and an adorable little stationery set with a postcard of Paradise Pier and some dolphin envelopes and paper.

Even the toiletries had mouse ear caps! Hahah. I'm easily entertained. ;)

My dad and I ate at the hotel restaurant -- we were pleasantly surprised. We settled on it as a last resort after the ESPN zone had over an hour wait, the Goofy's Kitchen buffet was packed and $36 per person... so we went back to the PCH Grill at PP. Dad had roasted chicken ($18) and I had a grilled chicken sandwich ($13) -- not bargain prices, but very good value for the resort area, and surprisingly tasty! (Sometimes you start to get disillusioned by some of the Disney cafeteria food, but this was actually good.)

The cast members in the hotel store were helpful and showed me the range of medicine they had available and were really attentive to the little kids there. The coffee bar thing had decent hot chocolate, but I didn't try anything else. The tea was very expensive -- don't bother.

Oh! And the rooms have digital thermostats!!!! A lifesaver. I hate having to jump up in the middle of the night because you're freezing or baking, using a dial-style heater/AC... this way you get to choose an exact, steady temperature.

The only downside was the people who were in the room next to us and across the hall from us -- they knew each other and were talking loudly early in the morning in the hall. It woke me up a few times, but... you kind of have to expect that, at a hotel catering to families with small kids. Also, a hotel security guard came at some point to speak to them, which was kinda nice. Other than the random wakeups, the hotel was very quiet. Ahhhhh. :D

Overall -- HIGHLY recommended if you're choosing between the DLR properties. A bargain, compared to the Disneyland Hotel or the Grand Californian. If you're on a tight budget and aren't prepared to shell out for Disney hotels, don't bother. Just because the entire property (Disneyland/California Adventure/Grand Californian/Disneyland Hotel/Paradise Pier) has the word "resort" in it, the Paradise PIer isn't the Four Seasons in Maui. Just have realistic expectations. The cast members are great, and it's a very comfortable hotel.

• Stayed February 2011
6 Thank kiwifire451
Stockton,Ca
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We stayed here because of an off season special. This was our first time staying at a Disney property and wow. It was like we never left the park. Our room was ready a little late because they had to wait for Mickey to come up and visit to leave a basket and note for one of our children who was having a birthday. The staff was wonderful. We had gotten the concierge package which was wonderful. They even made a special to order breakfast when one of our kids ended up with a tooth issue.
The restaurant is a really good, and quiet spot. We eat at the resaurant even when we are not staying at the hotel. The food is good, not expensive and the staff is great.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
Novato, California
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Arrived and the "Cast Members" were great. Room was ready and clean. Larger feeling than the Californian. Two problems, 1- shower head leaked, no water pressure, I beleive in saving water but this was crazy, 2- AC was very loud. Our biggest problem was Friday night, after seeing the shows in Disneyland, we had rented a stroller for our 4 year old daughter, who had been at the park all day, we had been going through California Adventure using the stroller, but this night I was advised that the park was closed (10PM) and it wasn't that far of a walk through Downtown Disney. When I explained that my daughter was sleeping and I had stuff to carry back to the hotel, she said that's what happens when the park closes. When we got to Downtown I had to give stroller back and caryy my daughter and all the stuff we purchased back to the hotel. It may only be 1/2 mile or so, but if Disney wants more people hanging around Downtown Disney they need to let people use the strollers from the paradise Pier. Other then that, we had an awesome time. Mickey's breakfast was over priced (food was just ok), but worth it to see my daughter light up seeing the characters. We strongly recommend buying the tixs for Fantamisic

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 12 February 2011

We just returned from the Paradise Pier and I honestly can't say enough how great our stay was. We were celebrating our anniversary and from the minute we arrived Donnie at the front desk went above and beyond to make sure our stay was extra special. From balloons and pins on arrival to a specially reserved and decorated table in the beachcombers lounge saved just for us. It made our anniversary that more special and I am forever grateful. The rooms were clean and the bed and pillows were super comfy and it was literally half the price per night as The Grand Californian! A superb staff, a great place to stay and you're not going to go broke doing it. I'm already wanting to go back!

• Stayed February 2011
1 Thank bbr2996
Anaheim, California
Reviewed 9 February 2011

The room was ready for us when we arrived. It was very clean, including the bathroom. Room service was excellant.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Oakland, California
Reviewed 2 February 2011

No microwaves in the bedrooms, which is lame when the food in the hotel and Disneyland is not very good and overly priced. Pool area was dirty, overly crowded, and no snack bar was open...or if it was, there were no snacks. The lifeguards were not supervising rude kids that jumping on my kids and kicking them in the face. However, my son LOVED the water slide. Elevators took forever and there was no staircase to get to the other floors. Disneyland hotel is much better if you are going to pay the price. Otherwise, I will stick with the good neighbor hotels. At least they have microwave ovens and some have small kitchens.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family