“Excellent choice for family with young kids - proximity, clean, perks”

Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
Ranked #43 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 24 June 2011

This is a very good hotel with nice room. Proximity, clean, and some nice perks makes it always an excellent choice .... Can you save a few bucks by going somewhere else ? Sure, but you'll miss on something. This is the best value for a room on the disneyland property. I came for three days (june 4-7), and just love staying at the Paradise Pier. Just before actually going, the reviews on trip advisor almost made me cancel my reservation. That would have been a huge mistake.

I feel most bad review are made by people who thinks that because they pay 220$/night, they are now royalty. Imagine that some review complain that they have to wait 15 minutes for check-in. Can you believe that these people would go to Disneyland, the waitiest place on earth !!! (You would be happy to wait 20 minutes to get in your rides ...).

We are a family of 4 with two kids (2 healty adults with a 3 years old, and 1 year old).
If your choices are between a Sheraton,or Hyatt level in the neighborhood, I feel this might be your best choice. Currently, you can get a room for 220$/night, slightly more than Sheraton/Hyatt at 150$. But the 70$+tax/night more is well worth it. If you want to save, I would suggest to bring your own breakfast. Forget the Character dining, you'll meet them in Toontown, or in the park. At 40$ a head, plus tax/gratuity and other extra, your almost paid for the extra of the room. An easy 150$ for breakfast is what you should avoid, don't save on the room !!! And the room has a nice fridge to keep your breakfast/lunch. We always ate in nice restaurants for dinner, we are in vacation after all.

With young kids, I could get there early in the morning (8h00 Am to 11h00 Am is the best time), then go nap in the middle of the afternoon (even for adult it is great). If you miss the nap, you'll regret it ... Bring the kid back at 4h00 pm up to 10h00 PM. Watch both shows : Fantasmics, and world of colors. Bring back the kids (and the wife) at 10h00 PM, and then come back from 10h30 to midnight to do some adult rides ... Star Tours was very fun ... Okay, alone doesn't look that fun, but when you have a 3 years old and an 1 years old, you actually enjoy it ...

Now, we need to talk about the perks. If you live in paradise pier, you have access to the grand californian private entry to DCA. Now, DCA opens officially at 10h00. If you go through the private entrance at 9h00 AM (there will be a line, but no worry, it goes in fast), you will get tickets to World of colors in the Blue section - the best section. Also, we could ride "the little mermaid" before everybody with no waits ... the staff was begging us to go again and again.

On top of that, you get 2 special fast past to the ride of your choice for each guest. That can come handy to get into Star Tours. I have seen people come in really early, only to see their fast pass at 7PM (they gave it to us, because they were too disgusted). The line without fast pass has been rumored to be around 2 hours at peak time .... At 11h00 in the night, it was smaller, but I had to use my fast pass to get in 15-20 minutes.

Another small advantage is you can use your keys as a credit card. So, I left my wallet (but bring some cash anyway) at the hotel in the safe in your room.

Another advice would be to bring your own alcohol (for relaxing in the evening), bring 24 bottles of water, a small hiking/running bag around the waist (that carry 2 bottle of water, sunscreen, some food).

I didn't experience the pool/spa, but I had a view on the pool, and it did look pretty nice. My advice is don't pay extra for a view in the room. Go see it live !! Why spend 45$ extra to see Workd of color with the worst viewpoint (your room). You can get a "Blue pass" for free in DCA and enjoy the show live !!

And finally, yes, the elevator is a bit slow. But if your are wise, you'll know what to do (No way I am writing the trick !!).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank YetAnotherhappyCampr

Reviewed 16 June 2011

Staff was absolutely outstanding; everyone was friendly and helpful, most went above and beyond; at worst they did exactly what they said they would or you asked of them - and with a smile. Very pleasant.

Cost was a bit high, but for the convenience of not having to catch shuttles/drive daily and being able to walk across the street to CA Adventure, and a bit further to get to Downtown Disney/Disneyland (walk toward the Disneyland Hotel - same side of street as the Paradise Pier) was well worth the cost, not to mention being able to see the CA Adv. World of Color and Disneyland Fireworks from the room was a bonus.

Only one restuarant, PCH Grill, and not a lot of options for kids, and of course pricey, but good quality food. One short block down to Catella are two family restaurants, Cocos and Tiffeys if you want a cheaper family-oriented dining experience.

You can use the microwave 24 hours a day - it's on the ground floor in the coffee house/bakery/bar lounge.

There is some road/park noise was prevalent, but we expected it; some people may not be able to sleep well with it, but you're at a theme park. We were a bit crowded with 5 in the room, but since we spent much of the time in the parks and mostly slept/prepared for the day in the room it wasn't a big deal.

The pool was on the 3rd floor, not at the very top - and the slide was out of order when we were there (6-10 June), but the kids liked it anyway (the one day we used it). Hot tub was small, but nice.

Elevators were the only real issue... Early mornings and right after park closings the elevators (3 main + 1 extra/service/club?) can be jam-packed which can make you have to wait for 20+ minutes to get a spot. Just avoid them until after 9AM (wer were there 3 full days, 4 nights) and beat the after park rush or wait for it to subside - we did use the stairs a couple of times.

Parking is $15 day if you park your vehcle; $22 for valet. The parking garage is very close to the hotel, back door, but you will want to unload all baggage at checkin. YOu will have to use the Bell service to use a luggage cart, but they do a very good job and was worth it (we tipped $1 bag).

Very convenient to I-5, Disneyland Drive is right off the freeway; to gas up and get back on the freeway (N and S I-5) when leaving depart out of the main hotel entrance, turn right, go left on Catella - a Chevron is on the right-hand side just before the I-5 ramp south, continue straight a bit then turn left for I-5 north. Easy.

You get 2 fast pass tickets per person, and morning magic pass/entry (before the public) one day during your stay.

Be sure to bring your (personalized) room key with you each day (you get to keep it) - if you go through the CA Grand Hotel (across the street) you may be asked for your key to get through to the CA Adventure park (be sure to get your hand stamped the first time you leave either park each day so you can get back in or into the other park; you'll need that and your park ticket each day you are there to leave and go back in).

Go to CA Adventure on the morning, at 9:30am, that you want to see the World of Color show to get a pass for later that evening (after entering from CA Grand Hotel entrance, go right, then see the sign/line to the left). Be sure each person in the party is present (or have each person's park ticket) and that they all go through the same World of Color line/machine to get tickets in the same section. The line may be long but it moves very quickly (6 gate/machines for tickets - we were told to put our tickets in the machine, but when we got to the front of the line there were park staffers checking our park tickets and giving us the World of Color tickets). If you do not get the viewing tickets, you can still watch the show, but at an angle, if you get a spot quick enough (it's near the Ferris Wheel in CA Adventure), however you may not be able to see the holograms projected on the water.

Room Tip: Book early; check in early to get best room views.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank MJOHara
Reviewed 15 June 2011

We've stayed at Paradise Pier on 3 different occasions. We prefer to stay at the resort because of the proximity to both parks & the special perks that go with staying at a Disney hotel. Unfortunately, Paradise Pier is in serious need of a renovation. The hotel is dark & everything about it is old & dated. It even smells dated. I hope that after the Disneyland Hotel renovation is complete, the good folks at Disney will turn their focus on renovating the Paradise Pier. For the price you pay, I would expect much better from a Disney Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Island91
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I am a Disney Vacation Club Owner who could NOT get the Suite I wanted across the street at the DVC. We opted for 2 rooms, adjoining.
Only had two choices for breakfast: a $27.00 buffet or walk up service that was served with plastic knives and forks......should have ordered the room service????
Gift shop not coordinated with the park openings, but had a great selection of gifts. No time for the pool although it looked nice from our 8th floor windows.
No towel animals.....but I am spoiled by WDW.
Shortage of elevators at park closing time.....you can tell this was not built as a Disney property, but bought and refurbished.
Free parking ONLY for DVC members, otherwise $15. a day.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank BadermanTowson_MD
Reviewed 13 June 2011

My husband and I took our three year old son to Disneyland and we decided to stay at Paradise Pier. It was a great choice! We arrived VERY early for check in - 6am and the person at the front desk was very cheerful and helpful and was able to let us into our room even though we were super early for check in.
The room was clean and quiet. Every night of our stay the maids remade our beds and left chocolates on our pillows
Our whole family loved the swimming pool and spa! We were happy to see that the hotel provides towels and life jackets for pool and spa use so we didn't have to bring ours from home.
It was wonderful staying so close to the theme parks too - especially with our three year old!
Overall, we had a great experience staying at this hotel and we will be back!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2011

In May, 2011,I went to Disneyland for the first time with my daughter, SIL and grandson. They stayed at the Grand Californian which I could not afford. I stayed conveniently across the street at the Paradise Pier.. The Paradise Pier is a lovely beaxch-themed hotel. The staff "cast members" are very friendly and helpful. The pool is beautiful and well stocked with towels. There is a great restaurant, the PCH grill and a shop. My room had a fabulous view of the giant Ferris wheel at California Adventur across thwe street.. The only drawback is that there are no handicap-accessible rooms. No roll in showers, etc. But, It is less than a five minute walk to the Grand Californian and the Disney shops behind the GC and Disneyland itself. If you stay at one of the three Disney hotels, you can get in early into the park,,7AM, as I remember. Very handy. All in all, it was a delightful experience and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank ramblingranny
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My husband traveled for business and our daughter and I tagged along. The hotel was 'free' for us as his employer paid. The location was great and by staying on site at a Disney hotel we could take advantage of Magic Mornings (early park entrance). The pool and water slide were fun for afternoons after a day at the park but a little poolside service from the poolside bar would be nice. I tried to use room service twice but only used it once--there is no room service from 11am to 6pm. Very strange. So no afternoon room service lunch for me and the tired child after a very long day at Disneyland.
I used the business room one morning and it was perfectly adequate. The room itself was also perfectly adequate. I have no complaints about this hotel but it was a far, far cry from the lovely Disney California hotel we walked through to get to the park each day.
Pinnochio's Playhouse in the California hotel was an excellent babysitting service, my daughter requested to go there on our last evening (she had been there on our second evening) in lieu of dinner.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the park
Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business