“Have stayed here many times and continue to come back!”

Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Martinez, California
“Have stayed here many times and continue to come back!”
Reviewed 14 February 2012

We have stayed her at least once a year since December of 2008 and have never been disappointed. The rooms are large. The beds are comfortable. The couch that folds into a bed is perfect for my 4 year old! There's even enough room to store all our clothes and keep the strollers unfolded so the kids can hop in them and go! The closet is large and I love that I don't have to haul my own pack n play with us because the rooms have a pack n play in them already. One less thing to carry with us. I have a 4 and 2 year old, but have been coming here since my oldest was 10 months.

As far a cleanliness, no other hotel can beat the Disney properties. The rooms are always spotless and I never have to worry about the kids touching things that are dirty. I'm super picky when it comes to cleanliness because the kids touch everything. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone with children. The bathroom is fairly large and I've never encountered the water pressure issue before. The newly renovated rooms are super cute and well done. Just the right amount of the Disney theme.

We have had a view room twice (once we got upgraded). It is really very neat! Our last room we could even see the fireworks at Disneyland. It's nice that they pipe the music for World of Color and the fireworks onto the TV. It's especially nice at night to see all the lights and go to sleep with that view. Beautiful!

I've never used the pool, but it looks nice enough. The slide looks fun. I like that they have a bar and snack shack there. We have eaten in the restaurant for dinner a couple of times. Always had great service. The food selection is ok. The bar and little cafe is also nice in the morning for a quick breakfast and at night for dinner. We have ordered room service before and were satisfied. I would say it's not the best meal of my life, but nice to have the option and establishments right in the lobby.

We have never experienced the crazy waits for the elevators either. We have had to wait, yes, but never for very long. We usually don't leave at peak times, which is probably why. I would say the thing that is the most difficult for us is that the parking structure doesn't have an elevator. We always park at the front and unload the car for the bell hop to take MOST of our stuff. Traveling with 2 toddlers, we have a ton of stuff with us, and can't put it all on the cart. We always go back out to the car to get the rest, but with no elevators it can sometimes be a task. And our last trip, our room wasn't ready, so we had to drop our bags off, then park with the kids. We parked almost at the top of the structure and had to carry them down the stairs with their strollers. It was inconvenient, but we dealt with it.

The walk is not bad at all. I think the walk from the Disneyland hotel is a bit longer. It's Disneyland, you walk a lot. For us, it's not bad at all. I've stayed at all 3 Disney hotels and Paradise Pier is our favorite. It has the most quiet rooms (hardly ever hearing anyone in the hallway and never hearing neighbors) and it is usually the cheapest of the 3 as well.

Service has always been what I expected form a Disney property. Top notch. From the front desk, to the bell hops, to the housekeeping staff. One trip, my youngest got sick and had a high fever and terrible cough. It was 2AM and the front desk was more then accommodating. They gave me printed out directions for the drug stores in the area that were open 24 hours, got me a humidifier from the Grand Californian, and told me they have a 24 hour nurse line. I called the nurse, explained the symptoms and the nurse really put me at ease and helped determine what would be the best course of action. I was so thankful.

We just stayed for a week in December 2011 and have already booked another trip for March. When we can afford it, this is our place!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank c_miles2008

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Far exceeds expectations; strongly recommend!

So, let's get one thing out of the way: If you've already committed to stay inside the Disneyland Resort, at one of the 3 on-site hotels, then you know you're going to be paying more than the weekend special rate over at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel. Ridiculously more. You have to go into it with the full expectation that the Disney organization is going to extract money from you, with authority.

OK, embrace that idea yet? With that aside, I thought this was a great hotel pick.

We usually stay at the Grand Californian but decided to try out Paradise Pier. 1-bedroom suite on 13th floor (they have 13th floors at hotels?), facing the California Adventure Park. It cost less than a similar room at the Grand Cal, but I really do think it's just because the hotel building is a bit farther away. And when they say farther away, they mean a whopping 75 yards.

(As an aside -- The GC is a huge sprawl of a hotel, with limited gateways into the park. So, depending on where the GC room is located, you might actually have a *shorter* walk from your Paradise Pier room into the park.)

(+)
The room furnishings are of the comparable quality as at the GC.
Mid-size refrigerator & microwave available in the room.
Fantastic view of the World of Color show, right from the room.
90% view of the Disneyland fireworks, from the balcony at end of floor hallway.
Friendly staff.
Costs significantly less than the Grand Californian.

(-)
The public space is ho-hum. Straight out of a mid-tier hotel in Fresno. In 1982.
The rest of Anaheim is visible from the room. The low floors of the GC really lends well to Disney's ability to make you forget you're really in Southern California.
WiFi/ethernet bandwidth is abysmal.
The walk to Downtown Disney is a brief, but bleak hike through service pathways, with greasy air blowing out of building exhausts.
The pool is not as good as the setup at Disneyland Hotel or Grand Cal.

Pro-tips:
(1) Do spring for the park view room. You might as well stay off-site otherwise and save $$.
(2) To access the park, go out the front door, cross the street, and go through the Grand Cal hotel.
(3) Going back to John Wayne Airport? The doorman may be able to call you a towncar, for the same $39 that a taxi meter would cost.
(4) The well-reviewed White Water Snacks at Grand Cal carries half-gallon containers of milk and OJ, at semi-reasonable prices, along with beer. Buy there instead of at the Paradise Pier lobby shop.
(5) If you want to rent a car, there's an Alamo office right nearby. The last I checked, one-way rentals into John Wayne Airport were available without surcharges.

Room Tip: Park view, high floor. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Richard C
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Before I start I think I need to let people know that I won this trip, so the hotel cost me nothing. OK, with that out of the way....I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel. I have never slept in a more comfortable bed while staying at a hotel before. The rooms have been renovated and are very nice and clean. Short walk to the parks through the Grand Californian. My only gripes are the water pressure and the wait for the elevators. Our first morning we finally called quits after waiting for 10 minutes and took the stairs. Others had the same idea because the stairs were packed with people, including those that were holding babies and carrying down strollers. Thankful our kids are old enough to walk! If the price was right I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Rebley
Iowa
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I've stayed at many Disney resorts and most are very good. This one does not disappoint. It costs a bit more than some hotels but I feel that the superior customer service is worth it. This is a very comfortable impeccably clean resort. The rooms are more spacious than I expected. When we were here the pool was being refurbished but we were given passes to the pool at the Disneyland hotels a short walk away. We felt that the the breakfast buffet was a bit overpriced so did not eat there. Downtown Disney is a short walk away and is quite enjoyable. If you want to enjoy the parks, they are close by as well. I feel that overall the value for the price is very good and I would stay here again with no hesitation.

Jeff

Room Tip: Although we did not book it, I think the California Adventure view would be worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Jeff38094
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 7 February 2012

We loved the service, and the theme of disney. A little expensive, but well worth the price if you have little ones, like we do. I highly recommen,up grading if you can afford it, you get so much more. Little disappointed in cleaninees of hotel public areas. Disney characters came to our hotel, when were eating, a nice suprise after trying all day in the park, trying to get a picture.

• Stayed December 2011
Vancouver
Reviewed 6 February 2012

If you are looking for Disney magic- it ain't here

Nothing speaks of Disney except for the statue. It's a very basic hotel, clean hotel.

Not really closer to the park then motels on harbour. Anabella Inn is and extra 2 minute walk - we timed it :)

The only park you can access as a guest through a private entrance is California Adventure.
Please make a mental note that if you are traveling in the off-season Magic Mornigs are not good - we only had 2 rides open Thursday - Ariel and Flying over California. NOT worth getting up an hour early - and they only open at 9:15

Pool is closed for renovation, which we knew about, but I forgot to consider the noise every renovation brings. They try to keep it to a minimum, but if you are travelling with a little one that naps during the day - there is noise to consider. Or just get the room facing the park.

treats and turndowns never happened to us, although I do think we paid the full rate... Will not stay here again, will either splurge on GrandCalifornia or save on a hotel across the street.

Elevators... We were on a high floor and still had trouble getting in. I guesss stay on low floor and use stairs

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with even numbers, away from the pool
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Zanzibar23
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 1 February 2012

My friends and I stayed at the Paradise Pier Hotel for the Tinker bell Half Marathon. I chose this hotel mainly due to the fact that the start and finish lines were right outside the hotel entrance. I was very pleased with the level of service we received from the cast members at this hotel. Even though the hotel was at capacity, it never felt crowded. I have stayed at the Disneyland Hotel three times and the Grand Californian once and while there are larger grounds at those hotels, there were also tons of people walking around.

Every cast member we saw wanted to know how we were doing and if there was anything they could do to make our stay better. The cast members working at this hotel truly seem to enjoy being there. This makes a huge difference. The valet staff helped us out at least 3 times by running to our car to retrieve items that we had left.

The walk to Downtown Disney and both parks was very short, less than 10min. You can get to the parks and Downtown Disney by going through the Grand Californian. One of the reasons I hadn’t stayed this hotel on previous visits with my family, was my perception that it was a longer distance to the parks than the other on-site hotels. It seems to me that the Disneyland Hotel is a longer distance to the parks than the Paradise Pier.

There were just a couple of items that we grumbled about, both which have been mentioned in previous reviews. First, the water pressure was abysmal. It took me a very long time to get all of the shampoo out of my hair. Also, one of the people staying with me is tall and she said that the shower head was very low. She needed to lean way back in order to rise her hair. Second, as a lot of folks have mentioned, the elevators were very slow. We knew this ahead of time which helped. Since we were on the 7th floor (without kids) it was very easy to get down to the lobby if there was a line for the elevators.

We were given room 726, which had 2 queen beds and a couch/day bed. This was perfect for us. There was enough room so we weren't falling over each other (There were 3 adults in the room). Our room overlooked CA Adventure and we would have been able to view the World of Color from our window, if we hadn’t been in the park already. Something else I noticed which will come in handy for families, is that there is a smaller table (on wheels) that slides under the desk in the room. So, you can have 2 tables in the room for eating meals if you wanted to do that. I should mention that you could hear the street noise from our room. It wasn’t loud, but one of the people in our room is a light sleeper and she mentioned how it would wake her up. I was able to sleep right through it.

Overall I was very pleased with my stay at this hotel. We will be staying here the next year when we run the Tinker bell Half and also when I am here with my family in 2013.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the park will have road noise. For some people, however, the view is worth it. To av...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends