“Disney Overload”

Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
Ranked #43 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 17 March 2014

You have to really like Disneyland and crowds to make this a vacation. I am not a fan of either but due to my wife's conference at this hotel, I went along for the expereience with our 17 year old son. The hotel itself is nice. Parking is easy...pull in, go into the parking garage..lots of spaces, unload luggage and head into hotel. Check in was easy. Door cards issued in all our names. 9th floor with wonderful view of CA Adventure. Room decorated very Disney. You NEVER forget you are in a DISNEY Property. Elevators...they were ok. Not too slow and worked ok. WIFI...worked fine and easy to connect with. Room safe was beeping non stop...called front desk. Worker showed up and fixed it within 5 minutes. Wake up call easy to set on phone system. Room service easy to use and showed up at 6:30 am as requested. Easy to walk to amusement parks and Coco's is just a short block down the street. Hotel was good. For the Conference rate I paid...it was a very good deal. Would I recommend this hotel if you are paying the regular Disney Overpriced rate....NO.

Room Tip: 9th floor looking at CA Adventure....Nice view of the water show
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tim805
Write a ReviewReviews (2,356)

Reviewed 15 March 2014

I am reviewing the hotel only. (During our stay, the Disneyland Resort had some bothersome issues....but that is the not hotel's fault). We stayed two nights in a concierge level room with a view directly over Paradise Pier in California Adventure. We loved the view, and were able to enjoy the World of Color from our room.

The room was sufficiently spacious to suit our family, and had two queen size beds in addition to a couch which made into a twin size bed. The room was very clean, and had everything we needed. Housekeeping kept it neat and clean. Our first night, we received Mickey rice krispie treats, which was a nice touch.

The concierge lounge was fine, and was exactly as advertised. We were able to make good use of the lounge. We did not see ANY abuse of the offerings of the lounge, as other guests have observed in reviews. The offerings were always well stocked and neatly presented. I would prefer better coffee in the lounge, but I am admittedly a coffee snob....I'm sure the coffee is fine for most people. For us, the evening "happy hour" fell at the time when we naturally wanted a break from the park.

The hotel is close to both Disneyland and California Adventure. The closest route is to cross the street and walk though the Grand Californian to either the main entrances of the park, or, in the case of California Adventure, the dedicated entrance for hotel guests. I never timed it, but it probably took 7-10 minutes at normal walking pace.

The two disappointments of the resort were (1) cancelling the Extra Magic Hour at California Adventure and (2) overnight filming which meant a helicopter flying outside our window (LOUD) for hours one night. As to the first, getting early entrance into the park is a major reason that our family chose a Disney hotel, as opposed to the more economical off-site properties, many of which are equally convenient in terms of location. To lose this benefit was a major disappointment. As to the second, I was a bit surprised that Disney did not offer discounted rooms to compensate for the disruption the filming caused to guests. I am certain that I am not the only one who found it difficult to sleep through that noise.

Room Tip: The view rooms are fantastic!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mnrose1
Reviewed 15 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 6 nights, good check in, thanks Maddie, good location, nice view of California Adventure, but wifi was horrible, not the end of the world, but highly annoying. Room 928. We phoned desk for solution, they got the internet provider to phone us. He tried everything he could which was nothing, he said if you go out in the hallway it might work, stupid, then his suggestion was we should move rooms and a different floor, that area had a "weak signal". I found the whole hotel to pretty much have weak signal. Phoned desk again and they said we'd have to pack everything up and be out by 11 and then couldn't get into a room until after 3, well that doesn't work when you're using the days at a disneyland hotel to take advantage of magic morning every morning and spend as much time as you can in the park, not packing all your stuff and unpacking again later in the day, just to have wifi and check a few emails and such. The other suggestion was to use the hotel lobby sitting area where there was good signal (which there wasn't) but I don't think people would appreciate me sitting with a beer and wearing a tank top and underwear checking emails at the end of the day. It was nice though to not have the whole family ignoring each other by having their faces stuck to iPads pods & phones for all those evenings back at the room. A resolution like free parking would have made up for lack of wifi, but only poor resolutions were offered.

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 12 March 2014

We've stayed here many times so were looking forward to it. And normally we love this hotel. The rooms are pretty large, so plenty of space. Even though we went off season the only rooms available were the upgraded "concierge" level. For the extra cost I expected more. And they do not clearly spell out what benefits you receive for the extra cost. We got a flyer when we checked in listing some amenities, but it was incomplete. The only difference in the room types is that these have a DVD player and you can watch movies. Who has time to do that at Disneyland? And nowhere was that explained or written down. The first night we received some Mickey rice crispy treats which was nice. But the next night - nothing. Also we got the turn down service 2 of the 3 nights, but not the third night. I finally called someone had asked them to explain to me what we should expect.
OK- they told me about the DVD player, and that those treats only come on your first night.
But why did I have to call and ask after 2 days?
The concierge hospitality suite is a very nice amenity. An average continental breakfast, and light snacks during the day. The evening was a huge disappointment to me. The hours are very limited from 5-8pm. Well we were only able to get there before 8pm 1 of our 3 nights. Lots of people were making this "happy hour" become their dinner and were grabbing huge amount of chips and snacks for the next day as well as taking huge piles of food out to others.
I was really looking forward to the evening beverages and snacks, but to have it end by 8pm was way too limited. For the money I should be able to go there at 10pm when I'm tired and get a glass of wine. So I felt a bit cheated to not be able to enjoy the advertised amenities.
Our room also was not cleaned properly. The ice bucket was never once emptied or the bag replaced the entire 3 nights. And behind the bathroom door was pretty dirty as well.
So if this was my first visit I would not go back. Luckily we've had better experience at this hotel in the past.

Room Tip: If you are willing to pay more there are rooms facing the park so you can watch the rides and see ou...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michele B
Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed at the Paradise Pier for three nights while on a work trip this March. I have a nine month old daughter who is still breastfeeding, and so I was pumping on this trip. At check-in, I asked if there was a freezer where I might be able to store my milk (sealed in individual milk storage bags, within a large ziplock, all inside of a brand new soft-sided cooler). The answer was no, as it was when I asked a second employee later that day, and when I asked a third time to speak with a manager (the manager never spoke with me, but communicated via front desk staff). I felt strongly that they were not interested in providing me with a solution.

I gave up on freezing my milk and hoped that with ice it would stay cold during my 9 hour trip home.

The last morning of my stay, I checked out at 7am for a morning meeting, leaving my bags checked with the bellhop (the checkout time was 11 and my meeting ran until noon). When I returned, I asked if there was a family restroom I could use to pump privately. There was not, and the front desk clerk told me I could use the second floor public restroom. I went to the restroom and found that there was no outlet in the handicapped stall (nor was there a table or any kind of surface where I could set up my pump, or a chair). I went back to the front desk and asked if I could use a room for 15 minutes and was told that they'd all been cleaned already and it wasn't an option, even though check-in wasn't for another three hours. I ended up having to pump in the public restroom at the sink (where the only outlet was). While I was pumping, numerous people came into the bathroom. Overall it was a humiliating and frustrating experience.

I work in retail where customer service is integral to the success of our business. I understand that there policies are put in place for reasons, but I also understand that sometimes you need to make exceptions for customers in order to make their experience a good one. I would NEVER recommend this hotel or any Disney hotel to anyone based on my experience, even though the rooms were comfortable and clean and the housekeeping staff exceptionally friendly. I am disappointed with my experience and with Disney overall.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank minnes0ta14
Reviewed 9 March 2014

We put off booking our stay at Disney because we knew we were going on a dead day so we thought they may try to sell extra rooms for the one night cheap. We were wrong. We ended up paying a little more than we we would have if we booked in advance.

The service was unreal. Maddie was our guest services rep and she pulled out all the stops for us when we ponied up the big bucks to stay. When you stay with Disney you are getting a extremely detailed experience, to me it was worth the extra money. If you are looking for a cheap day at the park stay somewhere else. http://bit.ly/1eDthnX

I really enjoyed our night at the Paradise Pier Hotel, but I am a huge Disney nerd. You can walk over and enjoy Downtown Disney for free and have a character breakfast in the hotel before your day in the park.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate B
Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Positives. So many...

Love this hotel!

The staff- They were so very kind and helpful. We arrived 4 hours before check in and the still let us have a room right away (of course depends in what day and time you arrive for availability). The staff member gave us all kinds of information to show us how to cut to the park.

Room cleanliness- When we arrived in our room it was very clean and well made. Our room was in view of the pool.

The walk- Great to get into the park it was fantastic! Super close and a beautiful walk through Grand California. I never once dreaded the walk back to my hotel.

Purchase drop off- We did not take advantage of the purchase hotel drop off since Disneyland closed so early we did our shopping after.

Extra- They have this great feature where at 5 they leave a voice mail giving deals about activities in the hotel. Such as yoga classes in the morning and what park has the early morning entrance.

Room service- Great food and well priced. We found it was just nice to have and do.

As for the negatives...

Elevators- Yes the elevators can be slow but just take the stairs if you can.

Showers- The water pressure is low. This is the only real complaint I left for the hotel on their comment card.

Honestly if you want a great hotel for you or a family that is close and has the perks and early morning entrance. I highly recommend this hotel. We will now always stay here if we cannot stay in the other Disneyland hotels.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple