“Birthday @ Paradise Pier!”

Disney's Paradise Pier Hotel
Ranked #42 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
las vegas
“Birthday @ Paradise Pier!”
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We stayed in mid Jan 2010 to celebrate my sons birthday. We actually booked Surf's Up with Mickey and Friends breakfast, and find out that it was inside this hotel. For convenience we checked out prices and got a pretty good deal ($140 p/night), since usually this hotel is about high 100's to low $200. The hotel itself is nice, but the rooms are really no frills. The TV is older, and so is the decor (although it is Disney themed). We ordered Room Service one night and ordered a Treasure cake (which was more like a cold brownie w/colorful swirled gel to fancy it up-cost...about $20). Room service was ok, the food was good but a little on the cold side. One perk of being a Disney guest is you get to walk thru Grand Califorinan Hotel and enter to the park. You also can charge to your room and have your purchases sent to your room. The most awesome thing...was the breakfast! It was really fun, and the food was phenomenal...wayyy better than the character breakfast @ Plaza Inn (in DL). There are more characters and the food is just self-serve with many more selections, I would recommend to anyone who loves Disney and has small children! I am still wanting to stay at Grand Californian, but still find it hard to pay $400+ a night...if you want the perks of staying at a DL Hotel, I would recommend this one for the value. :)

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (596)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
CA
Reviewed 18 April 2010

My husband had a day of business which was tacked onto the end of our Southern CA vacation. Since we had to be out of our condo by 10;00am on Wed. and his meeting was Thurs morning, we wondered what to do for Wed. I happened to find a great last minute rate on a travel website for Paradise Pier so we thought, "Why not?" and went. I had no real expectations of the hotel. We had stayed at the Disneyland Hotel several years ago and found it nice, not plush, but fun with cute decor. All I knew about Paradise Pier was that it's close to Disneyland and considered their lower scale hotel, as compared to the Disneyland and the Grand. It was hard to do much research for a last minute reservation on a Blackberry.

We arrived at the desk at 9:30 in the morning. We were not expecting to be able to check in and were just hoping to park our car in the lot and pick up our tickets to avoid the line at the gate. No only did Jerry check us in but he inquired if we were celebrating anything. We were taking an early vacation for our anniversary, since we will be tied up with family obligations on the actual day. Jerry then upgraded our room to a park view and made sure some extra treats arrived for us at our room. He told us the best ways to get to the park and how we could watch the fireworks display from the pool deck. He also gave us a late checkout so I had somewhere to stay while my husband was at his meeting. Jerry made our vacation wonderful. In fact every staff member we spoke to was helpful, polite, and cheerful.

Our room was very clean. It wasn't huge, but about a standard Hampton Inn size. There were two queen beds and a daybed/couch. It would have held our family of four nicely and was great for just my husband and me. The bathroom was standard. There were plenty of towels and nice toiletries. Water pressure wasn't great but got the job done and the hot water was hot. The decore was beachy Mickey cute. What was fantastic was the view. We were on the ninth floor and had a spectacular view of California Adventure. At night, after the park closed, Disney was testing out its new nighttime show for CA. It involves water and colors and will be great. We got to sit on our bed and watch the whole show as they worked to perfect it. Fantastic!

The hotel was very clean and the rooms were unexpectedly quiet. The Mickey Beachy theme goes throughout the hotel. Others have reported trouble getting an elevator, we had none. We might have been there at a slower time, but I usually expect a wait with high rise hotels during busy times and found none. There are two restaurants. We only ate a breakfast in the coffee bar one. It was good but a little pricey. The food was tasty but I would have liked real dishes and silverwear for that price. Next time I might just try room service. Would have been about the same cost and delivered a real fork. The pool was rather small for the size of the hotel but the waterslide was big and looked like lots of fun.

The thing that is hard to beat about the Paradise Pier is the location. It's a very short easy walk to Downtown Disney. California Adventure can be accessed by crossing the street at the lighted crosswalk and walking through The Grand Californian which has a gate just for people staying on Disney property. Disneyland itself can be accessed either by walking through CA, via the monorail from Downtown Disney, or the short walk to the end of DD and through the regular gate. The whole area has a Disney feel and they do make things easy for their guests. During the Disney Fireworks display the third floor pool area at The Paradise Pier becomes a viewing area. The vocals narrated by Julie Andrews are played through a loudspeaker so it makes watching the fireworks a very Disney experience without having to fight the crowds in the park. The only downfall I found at PP is the parking. It is in a covered structure which is nice but there is no elevator so plan accordingly.

I didn't think I would fall in love with this hotel but I did. Two things made this happen. The most important was Jerry at the front desk who made our stay so very specia, The second was the wonderful view that Jerry made possible. We will return.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank walksthedogs
Edmonds, Washington
Reviewed 9 April 2010

What a nice hotel. Not as fancy as the other 2 disney hotels but franly how much time do you spend in your room when you are at disneyland?
Very clean, always nice help, fun pool, housekeepings turn down service was good and they always left something in the room.
Only one place to eat in the hotel and only open breakfast and dinner. Better priced than disneyland and certainly tasted better. Ordered room service one morning and it was pretty bad for 20.00 for one breakfast. Food was dry and not warm. I wouldn't recommend nor did we order more than once. Great location with wonderful views of the park. I would stay again!

5 Thank Monilad
Edmonton
Reviewed 8 April 2010

Staying at this hotel was so much better than staying off-site! It was no more than a 15 minute walk to the main gates of Disneyland through Downtown Disney (and this is with two kids age 5 and 2!); faster still if you go through Grand California Hotel to California Adventure or ride the monorail in to Tomorrowland. I understand this hotel is normally on the expensive side but with a promotion we received 2 nights free with the purchase of 3 nights, this deal was cheaper than booking the Howard Johnson Hotel (on S. Harbor Blvd).

My family and I were thrilled to stay at a Disney property and Paradise Pier Hotel did not disappoint us. The room was clean, comfortable and roomy. Staff were very friendly and helful. The only minor annoyances we had included the slow elevators and for whatever reason, the water (both shower and sink faucet) in the bathroom cycled from cold to hot and back again.

We enjoyed dining at the PCH Grill once for the character breakfast and once for supper. Breakfast with the characters was on the expensive side, but dinner fare (burgers, salads, sandwiches) were reasonable compared to any other restaurant within walking distance of DL park.

The kids also enjoyed the swimming pool and waterslide after the rides at DL were shut down due to the earthquake on April 4. The water in the slide is very shallow which allowed my 2 -year old to slide and that was great (as she is not thrilled to see her older sister do things when she can't!).

I doubt very much I can go back to staying off-property next time I visit Disneyland. Staying on-site made our vacation just a bit more magical!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Ch00syTraveler
California
Reviewed 6 April 2010

One of the great things about this site is that you are made aware of things to look out for, hopefully before you book a trip. Some of the recurring themes about Paradise Pier included: soiled linens; bad/rude service; bugs; lack of hot water/water pressure; slow elevators. With that said, the only one of those I can confirm are the slow elevators. My family and I stayed at PP for three nights during Spring Break. We new there would be lots of folks at the hotel and at the parks, but we booked anyway. Indeed, there were plenty of people. With that said, the hotel really shined! Smiling faces on the staff, bending over backwards to help..typical of any Disney employee. In fact, noticing that the elevators were indeed slow at check-in, an observant cast member guided my family on to the staff elevators to get upstairs with our bags. Room was clean and configured as advertised. Also, for as many children and families that were there, our room was free of any hallway noise. I'm telling you, I slept more soundly in this family themed hotel than in others that position themselves as a romantic getaway!! Did not try the restaurant. Prices were not even in our "zip code." Other than that, the location was perfect, the room was great, the staff was great. Lot's of money, but we'd do it again..well worth it.

3 Thank mythreesons_7
Sacramento
Reviewed 2 April 2010

I can't believe how I was treated at the front desk of the Paradise Pier this morning. It was only 5:30 and after finding that my room key didn't work to access the fitness room I went to get it activated. I'd only left my room with my room key and my phone, I didn't think it would be a problem. A single cast member was present (I'll leave her nameless). I presented my key and explained that I didn't have access to the fitness room and asked if I could get access. She asked for my ID which I didn't have with me. She ended our conversation with, "I'm sorry, I'd need your ID." This cast member never asked for my room number to check my account (which she would've seen was prepaid for 4 days). Had I not paid for the right to have access to the fitness room? What were they protecting? Why did I have to go back to my 10th floor guest room to retrieve my ID then back to the main desk, then back to the 2nd floor to go to the fitness room? My point is simple: this cast member didn't do all she could to treat me like a guest. She treated me like I was a vagrant off the street. I thought one of the high points of providing customer service was doing all you could to treat the customer fairly and going above and beyond.

After returning to my room and realizing I didn't get the service I'd deserved I called guest services (which happens to be the front desk at this time of the morning) to get a customer service number so I could file a complaint. Guess who answered? I politely asked for the customer service number and then revealed to her that I was going to file a complaint that she didn't do all she could do.

After returning yet again to the front desk, there stood another cast member with the first. I wanted to know who the manager on duty was and where I could find him. I explained to her that she failed to see me as a guest who had prepaid for simple access to the fitness room and that they should've been more concerned about the condition my kids would leave our room as opposed to whether I would steal equipment. I was not happy!

For those of you who are also aggrevated about this level of service and wondering why this cast member "said no" to me rather than checked my room account to see that I was to be here for another two days...I don't have an answer. The on-duty manager said I needed to sign a waiver in case I got hurt. That's what I needed ID for??? The cast member saw a black woman with dishoveled hair and no makeup asking for access to the fitness room. Otherwise, I should've looked like everyone else...think what you want.

Another guest (who didn't look like me) had just arrived at the desk and was given immediate access to the ftness room. I don't think she even had to show her ID.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Smart_Mom1
Lake Oswego, Oregon
Reviewed 30 March 2010

The one thing you can always say about Disney hotels is that they think of everything. This particular hotel seems to be aging and I think could use some updating. For how much they charge to stay, I really would have liked to have seen the best of the best. I know it's worth paying more to be in Disney and have quick and easy access to their parks, I just think it's time for them to update this hotel and the Disneyland Hotel. The Grand Californian (which we walked through each day to get to California Adventure) is obviously top-notch, but it is beyond expensive. All that said, we would stay there again. Like I mentioned, Disney thinks of everything, and the staff are always so helpful, friendly and accommodating. We opted to get the concierge service seeing as we have three teens. This room allowed us unlimited access to breakfast, snacks and such. The fact that it let us not have to eat breakfast out was a huge plus, but other than that it's below acceptable. There are minimal amounts of so-so food. For how high-quality everything always is at Disney, this really surprised me. Loved that parking was free.