“fantastic place to stay right on disney property”

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #30 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 2 August 2012

this hotel is a fantastic arts and crafts style large hotel. great pools with a slide and nice chairs. we got into disneyland and california adventure park one hour before the official doors open. this is a huge bonus to get the popular rides done before the park really opens. the cars ride is great but the line is long regardless of what you do. fast passes were out by 9am for this ride. getting in at 7am we still had to wait 40 minutes. but, the day before, we went to disneyland at 7am and rode a lot of the biggest rides before 8 or 9am! walk from your room to either park- nice if you like the water rides but want to change after. easy snack bar and good storyteller place to eat in hotel. we were going to try the nice restaurant but ran out of time. hotel guest get fast passes to world of color in adventure park. we got them but then ate at the wine trattoria so just walked up to the show. btw, best breakfast burrito at a cart in the disneyland park by ariel ride where you ride in the clamshell:)

Room Tip: last time our kids were younger and we got a room with bunkbeds right next to our queen bed. it was...
2  Thank dallasmommy
Write a ReviewReviews (4,539)

Reviewed 2 August 2012

The Grand Californian was a wonderful place to stay during our trip to Disneyland. We loved staying there for our four night stay. We have visited Disneyland before, but this was by far our best visit. Our room was very nice, clean, and comfortable, but the best part was the proximity to Disneyland and California Adventure. By using the early hour entry to the parks given to people staying in the Disney hotels we walked right on the most popular rides before the parks opened for the rest of the day. The Grand Californian has a gate directly into California Adventure which is awesome for going into and out of the park. My only suggestion is to not use this gate for the early entry in the morning. There are only two lines to get in this way and it moves slowly. Instead go to the main gate of California Adventure in the morning the use the hotel only gate the rest of the day. All in all this is a great stay in Disneyland.

All of the service people we met there were terrific and so helpful. We purchased tickets for the dessert showing of Fantasmic and when I asked the front desk just for directions to where I needed to go to pick up our tickets the nice man actually printed out our tickets right there saving me a stand in a long line.

The conveinience of the hotel really made this trip to Disney the best one yet!

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing California Adventure. What a view! Especially at night.
2  Thank VARetiredAF
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My daughter and I just had our annual "just us" summer vacation and stayed at the Grand Californian. We have been to Disneyland before, but this was our first splurge on their signature hotel. I must say, we had a unique experience, so apologies if my review is a bit odd. You see, my daughter contracted food poisoning at the airport on the way to the hotel. We arrived late on a Tuesday evening, only to have her wake the next morning, for what was supposed to be our big day at the park, to instead becoming violently ill. We never made it into the park. Fast forward two days later, she is so ill, we can't leave the room. I was climbing the walls, struggling between wanting to make her feel better, while listening to the screams of joy coming from the park. It was a less than ideal situation. I finally realized I needed some help, called the front desk, and WOW. Within 30 minutes, I had DVD's from concierge for her (we were in a standard room, and would normally be unable to get these), housekeeping came and cleaned around her (and believe me, we needed them- and they did it all with a smile-God bless them) and room service offered to prepare her some simple broth when she was ready to try and eat. I was really impressed with the way they stepped up accommodate a "standard" room guest.

The hotel itself is really quite beautiful, and the enormous lobby and public spaces are a wonderful place to just "be". When we did try and venture out of the room, we found the large fireplace in the lobby, and while there, an amazing storyteller appeared and told us very funny and engaging stories, I swear my daughter thought I had arranged the whole thing. It was her only real time out of the room, so what were the chances she would be there at just the right time? He was a real life-saver and managed to put a smile on her face.

I must say, I see a lot of reviews that this is an average hotel which charges for location. I agree, you simply can't beat the location, but, this is no average hotel. The rooms are simple, and smaller, but who, other than us, spends much time in their room at Disneyland?! The service make this hotel an absolute stand out, and they have made my daughter and I loyal fans. We have already made plans to return in December to "re-do" our vacation, although it will be much shorter. The room service food was excellent (and I eat a lot of hotel food), the amenities were outstanding. The pools are huge and many, so never looked crowded. The hotel has laundry facilities, clearly a necessary item for our trip. Honestly, I could not have asked for anything more. We plan to return many times.

6  Thank PetalumaMamma
Reviewed 1 August 2012

When you stay at this hotel, you're doing it because it is unbelievably conveniently located to the parks. Thanks to the private entrance into DCA, we were the first people on Radiator Springs in the morning. Going back for a nap in the afternoon is so convenient and easy.

This is probably our fourth time staying at GCH, so we know what to expect by now. The rooms aren't really lavish, but are clean and spacious. Unfortunately, this time, we were put in a 2nd floor 'pool view' room that was immediately above the piano in the lobby. We could hear every kid scream in the lobby and every piano solo. The noise was intense until about an hour after park closing (1am or so) and started up again around 6am as guests lined up.

My #1 tip for staying at this hotel: bring earplugs.

That said, the service here is really great. Check in was fast, we stored bags quickly, our car came quickly, room service took 15 minutes max and the food was very good. We had one instance as we were leaving where the valet guy would not go away without a tip that was completely classless, but other than that, the service at the hotel is great. Oh, and free wifi!

We've stayed in many other hotels around Disney and this really is the best option out there.

Room Tip: Try to avoid 2nd floor rooms around the lobby. Very noisy!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mackenzie S
Reviewed 31 July 2012

A lifelong a student of the Arts and Crafts period, I marvel at the public spaces in this hotel. Meticulous attention to detail have created a special experience. The lobby alone is worth a quiet half hour of rest and reflection.

You can't beat the location and getting into the park from inside the hotel is fantastic. However the rooms are beginning to show their age and the price is crazy high. That being said, I love the rooms overlooking Downtown Disney and the convenience of walking just a few steps back to my room each night.

With the recent renovations to the Disneyland hotel, it's going to be a tough decision next trip!

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pool are extremely noisy. Rooms facing Downtown Disney are noisy until the park cl...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Stayed for 4 nights. Was initially told the bunk bed room was sold out upon reservation. Called a week before arrival to again mention my request. Upon check-in room requested was granted! Definitely a good start for my 2 kids (ages10& 8) who pestered me for the room just like the one on the website! Location of the hotel is worth the premium - in my opinion. Highly suggest you avail of the early entrance priviledge for Disney hotel guests. You can enter the parks an hour earlier than those not staying in Disney hotels. This hotel has its own entrance to Grand California and is a 4 minute walk to Disneyland entrance. The convenience of going back up to your room mid day to take a nap to re-charge kids makes it worth while.
Rooms are clean and daily housekeeping is up to par.
Kids enjoyed the entertainment at Storytellers Cafe for breakfast - but .... they didnt like the food!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank JMVManila
Reviewed 30 July 2012

In general, other reviewers have summed up this hotel quite well. What guests do need to know is something my daughter and I learned the hard way on July 9, 2012. We opted to take the stairs down from the 5th floor rather than wait for the elevators. Big Mistake! We got to the first floor and the only available door out was the imposing Emergency Exit (an alarm would sound if the door opened). We walked up to the 2nd floor but that door was LOCKED. We went to the 3rd floor . . . LOCKED. We tried the 4th and 5th floors with the same results. For 35 hot and claustrophobic minutes we were locked inside the stairway, banging on the door and calling for help. We even had cell phones with us, but no one was answering. Finally, a guest passed by the door and let us out. We were irate: imagine the panic if that had happened to a child! We reported the incident to the front desk and were told that security measures had recently been made that might have contributed to the problem. We were also told the situation would be resolved. Ironically, a week later my daughter learned that her friend's husband had the exact same thing happen to him at this hotel! Obviously, the problem had not been taken seriously. Be forewarned of this danger -- because there is no signage by the doors that indicates you will not be able to get out. (Maybe management will fix the doors if everyone starts using the only escape -- the Emergency Exit with alarms.)

Room Tip: Ask for one where you can watch the nightly fireworks from your room.
4  Thank Viajara