“The best place next to Disneyland”

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
San Francisco, California
“The best place next to Disneyland”
Reviewed 26 December 2013 via mobile

Of all the hotels next to Disneyland with early access to the park and within walking distance, this is the best. Rooms were clean and comfortable and the kids loved the bunkbed. The pool area however is extremely crowded and it is tough to get a seat at certain times of the day.

Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 December 2013

We had originally booked a non-Disney hotel near Disneyland but when we arrived we realized that transportation to/from the park would be more of a hassle than we had expected. So, at dinner in Downtown Disney - we decided to see if we could get into the Grand Californian - oh, and did I mention our stay included Christmas Day. Well, our incredible experience started as we were checking if they had a last minute availability. Will at the front desk was incredibly friendly and helpful. He found us a good room with minimum hassle and also made a special Happy Birthday button for my wife (it was her birthday the next day).

The room - just a standard 2 queen bed - was very nice. The entire hotel, including the room, was decorated with a mountain lodge feel - just like it was taken directly from the California mountains. The door to the room and the bathroom were heavy solid wood doors - nothing cheap here. There were double sinks which is always a plus. The beds were comfortable and the room was well arranged. Even though our room was looking over the front entrance (but on the top floor), we never heard any noise from the front drive. Actually, we were never really bothered with noise. Overall a very comfortable room. BTW, look for the "hidden mickey" in the carpet.

The location is GREAT for a visit to Disney. There is an entrance to Disney's California Adventure directly from the hotel - great for "Magic Morning" when DCA opens 1 hour early for hotel guests. It is also right off Downtown Disney which has a good selections of restaurants. Finally, it is only a short walk to the entrance to Disneyland. Basically, you can't get any closer.

The pool area is also very nice. There are 3 pools - including a kid's pool with water slides; 1 baby pool and 2 hot tubs - one of which was very large. The chaise lounges are also very nice with thick cushions. It was very enjoyable sitting by the pool in the afternoon.

We didn't eat at any of the restaurants on the property but we did try room service. The menu could be better but the food wasn't too bad.

I should mention staying at the Grand Californian is not cheap but we definitely felt it was worth it and made the trip really great. If we return to Disneyland, the Grand Californian will be where we stay (but we will make a reservation this time :-)).

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mrpeanut3
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Stayed 3 nights while we enjoyed a park-hopper vacation with our grandchildren, ages 5 & 7. The Grand Californian did not disappoint. It was clean with great service, very friendly staff. I left my cap there, they called to be sure it was mine and they sent it to me free of charge. The hotel is beautiful anytime of year but the Christmas decorations made it even more so.

Room Tip: Book well ahead for family rooms.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Charlotte B
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Great place to stay, convenience to Disneyland was awesome. Everything was special, the staff and location, just what we were looking for. Kids really enjoyed it, we plan to return next year. By the way, balconies are big and very safe for the kids too!

Room Tip: Higher floors are nice...away from the elevators.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Sam A
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Checkin was a challenge, staff need to smile, Bell Service area, I asked Angel for assistance, I was better off talking to a brick wall, ignored me then told me to join the queue at checkin & make my enquiry there.
So whilst Im waiting in the queue, Angel is standing with 2 other staff members talking away whilst I, along with another guest who like me had a simple question which i'm sure could have been answered by the bell staff.
After waiting 8 minutes in the queue, i returned to the bell area & asked Angel the simple question, she turned to another staff member & said "do you want to help him".

Fridge in room needs replacing, compressor cutting in & out kept waking me.
This is NOT 5star, its flat out 3star.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
9 Thank Michael196016
Camano Island, WA
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We agonized over where to stay for a recent family vacation. There were 10 of us, and we needed 3 rooms, and at just over $400 per room (that's with 20% discount) we struggled with our decision to stay here. It's something all of us had wanted to do for many years, do we finally decided we would splurge. We were all glad we did. The staff was great, and accommodated our request for rooms close to lobby, (which saved on extra walking after a long day at the park). The rooms were truly just a standard hotel room. The beds were fine. The water pressure in two of the three rooms was very poor. But the two things that made this hotel wonderful for us was the lobby (it's gorgeous) and the fast easy access to Disneyland and California Adventures. It felt like CA was our own private park. One suggestion. The little refrigerators hold quite a lot, and food and drinks at the hotel are very expensive, so I suggest you stop at a target or walmart, and buy a case of water for $5 (the same amount of water in the hotel would have cost us $75!) we also bought little milks, yogurt, cereal and fruit. This allowed us to have breakfast in our room in the morning, which saved time and money. Overall, we feel we made a good decision for us, and we would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Christine H
California
Reviewed 19 December 2013

We stayed at the Grand Californian hotel for our first trip to Disneyland. The entrance was magical and the service at check in was excellent.

The room was nice. it is small for $500/nt but comfortable with a king size bed and a couch. My toddler loves running in and to the balcony. Our room faces the entrance so we see a lot of cabs and cars. The balcony is completely solid so there are no bars for my son to stick his head or limbs out which was good. It is also tall and at 5 foot 4, i kind of have to tippy toe to see out.

The bathroom was not impressive. I agree that they should upgrade this. It reminds me of any 3 star hotel bathroom. I could not bathe my son in there as the plug for the drain does not plug it completely. He even pull it out and look at the soft black scum and was about to put it in his mouth.

We were there over Halloween. I was told by the front desk that there will be a costume catwalk in the evening. We got back to the hotel in the afternoon and I went to ask somebody near the catwalk to clarify the time that it will start and the person looks like i am bothering him and told me to come back whenever, that it should ends at 7 but "if you come back at 6:30, it is before 7, right?" We got our son dressed and came down at 6:30 and the people at the catwalk told us that it is over at 6 but he could run down the catwalk and they will take a picture of him. I was upset but the other people really made it special for him and that he given full attention to.

The entrance to the California Adventure was great! it is right next to the Grizzly peak and I can access the paradise pier and the redwood trail quite quickly. It is also close to a bug's life so when my toddler got soak by going to princess dot puddle park, we can easily go back to the hotel and get him cleaned up.

The storyteller cafe was great. The characters comes by a lot to see my son. The buffet doesn't have as much variety as Goofy's kitchen but the quality seems better to us. The storyteller cafe seems brighter and the characters comes by more often.

The proximity of the hotel will make me consider staying here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family