“Just the BEST”

Ranked #34 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Modesto, California, United States
“Just the BEST”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The location, the service, the best of everything! Highly recommend staying here. We had a room with the view of the pool, which was nice. Love the turn down service with chocolates on our pillows every night. Valet service was great, I had left some shoes in the car, called down to get them and they had them in my room in less than 10 minutes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Suzanne F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,132)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jackson, Wyoming
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Despite large crowds, a million strollers (my grandson's included), and some hefty prices, Disneyland is great fun, even for my 73-year-old, addled self. In fact, I've loved Disneyland and WDW (and a Disney Christmas cruise) since my first visit to Disneyland in the 1960's. On our latest visit in June 2014, we stayed at the Grand Californian. Really a pleasant experience. We had connecting rooms: one for me and one for my daughter, son-in-law, and my three-year-old grandson. That worked great -- much better, I think, than a suite (I tend to talk too much and get on my son-in-law's nerves). The rooms were comfortable, clean, and expensive. But, the best part: The Grand Californian is very close to Disney's California Adventure. Incredibly convenient. Easy to enter the park, and close enough that we could return to the hotel when we wanted to relax at the swimming pool in between all the attractions. We didn't eat in any of the hotel restaurants so can't comment on those. We had garden-view rooms, and I suspect they were much quieter than those that face Main Street Disney and the park.

Room Tip: We had garden-view rooms that were very quiet. I suspect rooms that face Main Street Disney and the...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Dave M
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was nervous about staying here because of the mixed reviews...This hotel is pricey for sure, I agree with other reviewers the bathrooms / showers are not quite up to expectation for this type of accomodation, but The Grand Californian has a character and an ambience, and I am not at all sorry we stayed there. Location was great, right next to the resorts. The beds were extremely comfortable. The food on site could have been better. It has laundry facilities throughout the hotel. If they are renovating this will be unbeatable. It does need a bit of a tidy up...but we had an excellent stay ! Would be great with a heated pool..

Room Tip: If you are near California Park the show each night can be noisy and hard for younger kids to get to...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have stayed here 3 times and this was our worst. The housekeeping has always been slow and done a poor job but that was actually slightly better this time although our carpet came pre-littered with someone else's bobby pins. When we arrived, we were told the room type we had requested (with bunkbeds) was not available because the last one was being given to a family with three children. Our two kids were not enough to warrant a bunkbed. I had called 2 months in advance to request that room and for $500/night, they should be able to accommodate that request. They told us they would move us on our third night and make sure our new room would be available as early as possible. We vacated our room at 10:00 in the morning on the day of the transfer and they did not have our new room available until 4:00 that afternoon. Meanwhile, our kids were crying for a nap and angry and hot and sweaty. This isn't the kind of stuff you pay such a premium price for. After complaining, we were given two fast passes and a breakfast voucher by a manager, but it didn't make up for our miserable day. The rooms were shabby, the carpet was old, the light fixtures hung askance, the fridge was broken and everything needed a new coat of paint. In the real world $300 will get you an amazing hotel room. In Disneyland, $500 gets you a tiny run down room in a hotel staffed by people who don't give a crap that you've saved up for years for this vacation. The location is great. That's why I give it a 3 instead of a 2. Also, that is why next time I may just end up bending over and taking it again to stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachael P
yuma
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We are a family that has included DisneyWorld and Disneyland as part of what we do when we want to share with our children and grandchildren, meaning that we have enjoyed their hospitality in California and Orlando. I can say that i speak with a bit of authority on the matter. The world of Disney does posses a certain magic and it is translated not only in the parks but also in their hotels. Saying this i believe that this property does need a bit more of the magic found in the resort of Orlando, Florida! Their swimming pool was cold and the grandkids had no where to swim

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank amazedhappy
Cave Creek, Arizona
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I wrote a review of GC that was nothing but praise. See "Avid GC Stayer & Disney Enthusiast w/ Little Kids Review"

BUT...my mom and I stayed here in April and she even upgraded our room to a two bedroom suite which costs around 500+ a night. Unfortunately, we weren't the only guests staying in that room...watch out for hitchhiking BED BUGS!!!

My son and mom were both bit. When I contacted the hotel they act as if Disney is above a bed bug infestation. I DID find it interesting a hotel staff member (or cast member I should say) informed me they would be closing the hotel in the next year and "renovating" Hmm...you mean exterminating.

Room Tip: I love the Disney hotels but watch out for the bed bugs
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
12 Thank Annie H
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My family and I love this hotel. The location to Disneyland and the service the hotel staff provides is great. On this trip housekeeping was very consistent and the service was excellent. The bed's are very comfortable. The only reason why we give it four stars is this hotel uses poor quality toilet paper (literally feels like sandpaper in your hands) and the showerheads are very low pressure. With this hotel being the flagship on the property I expect better. I'm not here for value or to save money. Leave the cost cutting for Disneyland hotel or Paradise Pier..

The room service menu is quite limited however the food is excellent. There is a on site laundry facility with plenty of washers and dryers.

This hotel could easily be the best rated hotel in Anaheim if it weren't for the folks who complain this hotel is overpriced and the rooms are too small. This is not the place to stay if you are on a tight budget and the room sizes are clearly posted on their website. This is the place to stay if you want close access to the parks, beautiful décor, and great service. We have stayed here several times since 2009.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family