“Closest hotel to Disneyland”

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #30 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Fortunately, Disneyland is not so spread out like Disney World in Florida. However, after a long day at Disneyland, this is the perfect hotel to stay at because it is so close to the park! This hotel is right on the property between Disneyland and California Adventure which is ideal. In addition, the décor is like a mountain lodge, well kept and the staff are extremely attentive (of course, all Disney staff is this way - it must be one of their hiring criteria).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank LSolis2013
Write a ReviewReviews (4,546)

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This summer we stayed at Grand Californian for the 4th time.
It was by far the most expensive hotel we stayed at on our trip even though some of the other hotels was much nicer.
But would I pay the insane price again?
I love the location and convenience. I love being able to run up to my run to grab a sweater. I love having my shopping at the parks delievered to the front desk.
To me there is something special about walking straight in to one of the parks from the hotel and for that I pay the insane price for this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank WinnieLyngkaer
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here with kids (12 and 14) on a quick Disneyland/LA leg of a longer trip. Honestly, we could not have been more pleased with the location. At most, a 10-minute walk into Disneyland, and I think even closer to CA. And Downtown Disney is literally right outside the door! The service was excellent at every encounter, including an unexpected upgrade at check-in.
The hotel itself is a nice property with very nice pools. It is a near-replica of our favorite WDW hotel, Wilderness Lodge. My only knock would be that while the Grand Californian is touted and priced as a luxury hotel, I found it to be a bit downscale from that. In WDW parlance, I would call it an upper-end moderate resort.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank missgrl
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Our family stayed at the Grand Californian for 4 nights in late June. Yes, it is pricey but we will pay extra for the convenience factor. Especially in the summer when the crowds are huge. The location can’t be beat, it has its own entrance to California Adventure and is a short walk to Disneyland. Downtown Disney is also right out the front door. If you are tired and need a break, it is easy to walk back to your room for a rest. I read some of the other reviews regarding the rooms being tired but our room was clean, comfortable, and in good condition. The pool area is very nice and has drink service. The lobby is beautiful. The only negative is the hotel bar could use a remodel and better televisions. I went there to watch a little bit of the World Cup and the televisions were terrible. Overall, we had a great stay at the hotel and will be back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We live in San Diego and go to Disneyland frequently. I have always wanted to stay at the Grand Californian but it is quite expensive. We did a last minute trip over the weekend and the only Disney hotel that was not sold out was the Grand Californian so our decision was made for us.

All I can say is WOW! The hotel is gorgeous and it is set up more like a Disney vacation Club (DVC) than just a hotel. There is an entertainment schedule and activities for kids and families all day. That was great for us given that we have a 3 and 1 year old.

It was fairly hot last weekend so the 3 pools on property were a great way to cool off in the afternoon and tire the kids out for a good nap before heading back to the park as it got cooler. My only wish was that they had a zero entry pool because the shallowest pool depth is probably around 2.5-3ft. They also don't have a splash area for toddlers. None the less, the kiddie water slide was a big hit for our kids!

There is a kid's club like all DVC locations but the kids have to be 5 years old at minimum so we didn't get to use the facility.

We had a standard hotel room which was not over the top great but was spacious and worked for us. I really wanted a villa but they sell out pretty much 11 months in advance. I will definitely try to book one for next year! There was a dorm fridge in the room but no microwave. The best thing was that they had the DisneyJr channel available which I have not seen available at Paradise Pier or the Disneyland Hotel. The location of the hotel is also perfect because it is so close to Downtown, MK, and California Adventure.

Overall, I can't wait to book a Villa here and explore the Grand Californian even more.

Room Tip: Book early to get a Villa
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Dawn M
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Disney's Grand California was the best for us, the location, considering the two have us have one disability or another, couldn't be beat. I pleased with the reservationist to give us a room as close to the elevator as possible since the hallways there are a We have stayed so many times at the Grand Californian that I have lost count, but it has normally always been a good stay. We were there to celebrate life - my husband getting through his cancer surgery (which was supposed to be one day of surgery, with a five day hospital stay) -- It turned out to be a disastrous 2 1/2 month hospital stay, with five surgeries because the flap inside his face kept failing. I don't want to digress, so let me stay on topic.

Disney's Grand California was the best for us, the location, considering the two have us have one disability or another, couldn't be beat. I pleased with the reservationist to give us a room as close to the elevator as possible since the hallways there are a larynth of mazes. And although I ordered the scooter for my husband, I would be doing the walking, which would be putting a strain on me. I couldn't be more grateful, when we got to the hotel, after a tortuous 6 hr. drive, that should have only taken 4 1/2 hrs -- the traffic was atrocious, that when we pulled up, the valet gave us complimentary valet parking since the Disabled lot was full and when we got to the check in counter, our room was clead and ready --- only one flight up AND just around the corner from the elevator. I have to admit though considering this was a disabled room, it was tight, espectially to keep his scooter in there to keep it charged, not to mention my rollator, but at least we had the roll in shower and that was a blessing. Even if we didn't have mobility issues, I would still stay at this hotel because of the location. I think it is, for us, the best of even the other Disney-onwed hotels. In addition, the special park entrance does make a different in waiting there for a bag check, than the lines on the outside. We called Diechert's (sp) for the scooter rental and they were wonderful, a brand, shining new scooter was waiting for him at Bell Services. I had been worried that it wouldn't fit comfortably in the room, and although it was a tight fit, it still worked out. I hazard a guess on how they would let a couple who both rent scooters have room in there. The Bellman did say that we could bring it back to Bell Services overnight and hey would charge it for us, and I saw some people leave their scooters in the hallway, there was no electrical outlet on the outside of our room. But if you're lucky, some rooms do have the outlet outside their room. This location is also great for families with small children, easy enought to come back from the parks for an afternoon nap or swin. Everything was in working order, and it was in particular that I worried about the A/C, but it was good for us and worked all night, the TV, it seems has recently been changed to DirecTV, so you have many choices besides all the Disney channels. Houekeeping was great in cleaning and replacing the amenities daily. I thought they might have cut down on turnown services for the non-club level rooms since the first night, we didn't get it, but on the nights after, we were in the room when she came and I told her not to worry about the turndown, but she still left us the chocolates and asked if we wanted additional towels and/or wanted our trash emptied.

I was so grateful for this time I got to spend with my husband since a year ago, we didn't even now he had cancer, and here a year later, he's had the surgery, went through physical therapy and is still undegoing PT because he came home from the hospital, just like a baby. He couldn't walk, my son had to pick him up to put him in bed, then little by little, he got stronger and stronger and wanted so much to go back to Disneyland and I'm glad we did it since I believed after all the torture he went though in the 2 1/2 months and 3 different hospitals ordeal, he deserved some happiness. After all I went through caring for him when he came home, I just wanted to be able to relax, sit on the balcony and read a book, just knowing I'm at Disneyland, but things didn't work out that way. We did want to do the rides, however, it was hard for my husband to get on most of our favorites, but still was happy to do whatever he could, particularly one of his favorites is to take part in the Flag Retreat ceremony..

The hotel is quite a bit pricier than the good neighbor hotels, however, given our needs, it was most suitable for us and I'm going to book again to go sometime in September, and try to request the same room. (I know it's only a request not a guarantee, but at least I'll try).

The only negative for us was the White Water Snacks counter service --- The front door is toooo heavy. I wish they would put in disabled friendly doors because it was a project for us to get in and out of them. For me the negative was the wifi. I had a hard time connecting, until finally on the last night I called and one of their IT people helped me connect. I really think it had to do with room location since I've used wifi there before and didn't have a problem.. I am just sorry I didn't call the first day.

Otherwise, a great hotel, clean, perfect location, every cast member we came into contact with was fabulous and I give it the highest recommendations.

Room Tip: If you are physically challenged ask for a room near the elevators, if not the main elevators, the e...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AGentlRose
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Everything about this hotel was pretty much excellent. The Storytime Restaurant buffet was really bad, but the rest of the hotel was excellent. You can't beat the location; walk outside and you are near the gate to the park. The hotel itself has a great pool and hoot tub area. (The robes that are there to use are a really classy touch) The great room (lobby) is awesome with the "mountain cabin" style to it. There was a story time place for the kids, big hearth, etc.

All in all, a great place to stay - we will stay there again next time we go to Disneyland.

Room Tip: Depending on where you are headed, get rooms close to a park entrance.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family