Normaly my son, husband and I stay at a Suite Hotel or the Paradise Pier when going to Disneyland. However, celebrating our 3 year old only child about to become a big brother, me being 8 months pregnant and wanting to enjoy the Halloween decor was a reason to stay at the Grand Californian for the first time. From the moment we drove up to check in, we knew it was worth the expense. The hotel is obviously very grand and amazing, we walked in going wow, we actually get to stay here. Every cast member who helped us, from the valet person to the check in lady, so very nice. Our son, who had walked through the hotel before, was SO excited once he realized we were here to stay. We got up to our room and it was exactly like the pictures we've seen - craftsman style, very clean, and because my request for bunk beds was denied, we received premium view instead and it was a view of the pool and some of DCA, perfect! Our 2 queen beds were very, very clean and comfy, bathroom clean, plasma tv nice, balcony very nice, great room. I do want to point out that our standard room was a bit smaller than the standard rooms at the Paradise Pier and Disneyland hotel. It didn't diminish our experience one bit but just something I noticed. My husband loved the decor and is now on the market for a craftsman style house. The pool area is great, restaurants are very good and everything about the hotel realy caters to families and those who like craftsman decor because it is everywhere.
I cannot begin to express how convenient it was to be so close to both parks. Even if I wasn't 8 months pregnant, it made a big difference for us as a family of 3 trying to get here and there. It took us less than 5 minutes to get to DCA, less than 5 minutes to the Downtown Disney monorail station and about 6 minutes to get to Disneyland front gates. The hotel, as I stated in my review title, is expensive but worth it for us this particular trip.
I wanted to mention that not only are the rooms expensive but everything available for purchase within the hotel is also very expensive. My husband caught a cold so he purchased Robitussin from the shop downstairs, $9 for a little bottle. One morning I got us 2 regular drip coffees and 2 blueberry muffins from the coffee shop downstairs, $15 not including tip. We ordered room service one night and even though we expected it to be expensive, lets just say we paid more money for eggs and potatoes/turkey burger/chicken quesadilla than we did earlier that day at the Blue Bayou where each of us ordered an entree and drink. But I think anyone staying at any of the Disneyland resort hotels should expect everything to be expensive and next time I'll be a little more prepared.
At least for the next 5 or 6 years we will be staying at the Grand Californian each time we visit. When the kids get older I do believe they should experience places like the Alpine Inn or the Best Western Maingate because those are the hotels I stayed at while growing up. But we loved the hotel, loved our stay and will be back again real soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This stunning hotel offers premium accommodations and rich dining experiences in American Craftsman style and elegance. With its world-class spa, an impressive array of amenities and impeccable Disney service, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa defines grandeur in every way. Located in the heart of Downtown Disney District, this hotel is just steps away from exceptional dining and entertainment. And with your park ticket, enjoy an exclusive entrance to Disney California Adventure Park. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, Ebookers, Ctrip TA, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Californian Hotel
- Grand California Hotel
- Disney California Hotel
- Disneys Grand Californian Hotel
- Disney Grand California Hotel
- Disney Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneyland Grand Californian Hotel
- Disneys Anaheim
- Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa Anaheim, California