“Wonderful hotel, expensive but worth it.”

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #31 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Hercules, CA
“Wonderful hotel, expensive but worth it.”
Reviewed 11 October 2009

Normaly my son, husband and I stay at a Suite Hotel or the Paradise Pier when going to Disneyland. However, celebrating our 3 year old only child about to become a big brother, me being 8 months pregnant and wanting to enjoy the Halloween decor was a reason to stay at the Grand Californian for the first time. From the moment we drove up to check in, we knew it was worth the expense. The hotel is obviously very grand and amazing, we walked in going wow, we actually get to stay here. Every cast member who helped us, from the valet person to the check in lady, so very nice. Our son, who had walked through the hotel before, was SO excited once he realized we were here to stay. We got up to our room and it was exactly like the pictures we've seen - craftsman style, very clean, and because my request for bunk beds was denied, we received premium view instead and it was a view of the pool and some of DCA, perfect! Our 2 queen beds were very, very clean and comfy, bathroom clean, plasma tv nice, balcony very nice, great room. I do want to point out that our standard room was a bit smaller than the standard rooms at the Paradise Pier and Disneyland hotel. It didn't diminish our experience one bit but just something I noticed. My husband loved the decor and is now on the market for a craftsman style house. The pool area is great, restaurants are very good and everything about the hotel realy caters to families and those who like craftsman decor because it is everywhere.
I cannot begin to express how convenient it was to be so close to both parks. Even if I wasn't 8 months pregnant, it made a big difference for us as a family of 3 trying to get here and there. It took us less than 5 minutes to get to DCA, less than 5 minutes to the Downtown Disney monorail station and about 6 minutes to get to Disneyland front gates. The hotel, as I stated in my review title, is expensive but worth it for us this particular trip.
I wanted to mention that not only are the rooms expensive but everything available for purchase within the hotel is also very expensive. My husband caught a cold so he purchased Robitussin from the shop downstairs, $9 for a little bottle. One morning I got us 2 regular drip coffees and 2 blueberry muffins from the coffee shop downstairs, $15 not including tip. We ordered room service one night and even though we expected it to be expensive, lets just say we paid more money for eggs and potatoes/turkey burger/chicken quesadilla than we did earlier that day at the Blue Bayou where each of us ordered an entree and drink. But I think anyone staying at any of the Disneyland resort hotels should expect everything to be expensive and next time I'll be a little more prepared.
At least for the next 5 or 6 years we will be staying at the Grand Californian each time we visit. When the kids get older I do believe they should experience places like the Alpine Inn or the Best Western Maingate because those are the hotels I stayed at while growing up. But we loved the hotel, loved our stay and will be back again real soon.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Jols11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,136)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Southern California
Reviewed 9 October 2009

The room was clean and comfortable - the woodsy colors were a nice choice and feel comfortable. The bed was great and I am super picky about beds! I love the pool as did the kids - heated so you don't feel chilled at night. The lobby is a great place to hand out at the fireplace, or listen to the piano player when they are playing. I love being able to go on a wet ride and come in the private entrance to change and go back to the parks. Overall a great hotel and we look forward to coming again!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Ankzmom
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Our famiy of 4 stayed here last December in a room with bunk beds and a queen bed. We had a view of the pool area. Everything was fantasic - except for the fact that I thought it was outrageously expensive. Prior to Disneyland, we stayed at the St. Regis Monarch Beach (a five star hotel) - I paid the same price for ONE room at the Grand Californian as TWO connecting rooms at the St. Regis. Once I got over the price, the dingy bedspreads, the low light in the rooms, the carpeted bathroom and scratchy sheets, we really enjoyed the property. My kids loved the pool, the story time and the breakfast buffet. The proximity to the parks can't be beat. My kids were 3.5 and 4.5 and they walked everywhere - no strollers necessary - it's THAT close!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank jki421
SF Bay Area
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I have 2yr and 4yr old girls - and staying at the Grand Californian was great. Not only could we walk back to our hotel from the parks for their nap time, but my wife and I enjoyed relaxing time in the room while they napped each day. Our room overlooked Downtown Disney which was great, but it could get a little noisy at night. The staff was very friendly and always had stickers for my kids. I would definitely recommend this hotel to families who's kids still need to take a nap.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank PChun
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 8 October 2009

If you can get a good discounted rate for this hotel then definitely stay here when visiting Disneyland. It is by far the best of the Disneyland resort hotels in terms of location and is lovely inside as well. We had a few minor issues - even though the hotel has a pack n play in every room, there do not have any pack n play sheets for guests to use. If you ask for a sheet, they bring a bassinet sheet that is several inches too small. If you're going to use the in-room pack n play, bring your own sheets. Also, we were pleased to see that the bunk bed in our room had a trundle for our 4-year old to sleep on because there were no guardrails on the lower mattress of the bed. We were told that housekeeping was ordering bed guard rails though, so hopefully that's not a problem in the future. The pools are great, and the restaurants have a nice ambiance although not the best food.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank hbeb
Los Angeles
Reviewed 8 October 2009

We checked into the GC first thing in the a.m. in order to get into DL for the "magic morning hours". This is a great feature of staying at the hotel. You get into DL one hour before the gates open. We got a nice room with a view of the new pool. Did not have the view of the ferris wheel, which I do prefer. Service at the hotel was friendly. The rooms are nice, nothing exceptional but very comfortable for coming in and out after being in the parks during the day. Surprisingly very quiet at night in the rooms. Enjoyed dinner in Downtown Disney. Love the location of the hotel, very convenient access to DD and GC theme park. Have stayed twice in the past 2 months and am looking forward to going back in November. My 2 year old loves the movie in the lobby and enjoyed the storytime. A word of caution, there is no lifegaurd at the kiddy slide. My daughter took a fall off the 2 foot wall leading to the slide and bumped her head very bad. This was the only downside of the hotel. They should have better supervision at this area of the pool.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank foodiegirlLosAngeles
California
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Everything was awesome, anytime we had a question, it was answered directly, we had a downtown Disney view and we were right above "world of Disney" store. I was stoked we got to stay here for paying 3 nights and 2 nights free. It helped our budget. I loved the view, I loved the fireworks from our room view. I especially loved my Pina colava drinks. Very tasty. The pool was nice, though for the crowd, you really can't let that get to you. You're there, enjoy it. It was all for pleasure time, we were on vacation away from the real world hehe Very nice hotel, I will be coming back to it as soon as I can ;-)

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple