“a slight disappointment!”

Ranked #35 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Hong Kong, China
“a slight disappointment!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights. We wanted to make the most of our 2 night stay at Disneyland so we decided to stay right next to Disneyland. The hotel is located right next to Disneyland and California Adventure. In fact, it literally took us 5 minutes to walk back from California Adventure to our hotel room! However, it seemed Disney was attempting to milk every single dollar from guests. We asked for teabags for the room and they asked us to pay for them (normally they're complimentary). There was also no minibar (even if you wanted to pay for them) and the restaurants were very expensive. I had a massage at the Mandara Spa but I didn't think it was spectacular (I've had better massages at other Mandara Spas). The massage was also very expensive.

I don't think I would stay here again next time, there are other hotels that are cheaper, better in service, and just a stone's throw away.

6 Thank Woodai

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2009

This Grand Californian's location can't be beat. Short walk into the CA adventure park, and maybe 5 minutes walk to Disneyland. From our room we were able to watch the fireworks each night. The room was very clean. We had to call housekeeping for lotion and kleenex (which weren't replenished when our room was cleaned). The products were delivered quickly and we received a phone call to make sure the items had been put in our room.

The food at the hotel isn't anything great, but it's a very short walk to downtown Disney, where there were several places to choose from.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank desertdad67
Folsom, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2009

We stayed at the Grand Californian for a Solar Symposium fromMonday, October 26 to Thursday, October 29th, 2009 . My husband asked me to come accompany him and enjoy the area and spend time with friends we hadn't seen in some time. As a surprise, our friends also booked into the hotel for 2 nights even though they only live 10 miles away from it. They love this property that much! This was one of the resorts recommended by the Symposium. It turned out to be one of the best resorts we've ever stayed in. The customer service from the moment we got off our motorcycle to the moment we left the property was top notch. Always a friendly "welcome back" whenever we returned back to the hotel during our stay. We stayed on the 6th floor which was the concierge level although we did not partake of the concierge level ammenities as this was not part of our discounted group rate for the convention. It didn't matter...we were still treated like Prince and Princess of Disneyland. Whatever our desire was, it was met with a friendly "of course" and "it's our pleasure." We can't say enough about this facility. With direct private access to California Adventure and Disney Downtown, it couldn't have been in a better location. The only thing that I would improve upon would be the towels in the rooms. Both our friends and we thought for this caliber of a hotel, the towels did not meet the level of luxury provided throughout. The towels were much better suited to a Motel 6 as they were very thin and worn looking. But this is just a personal complaint as I love big fluffy towels. As a closing to my review, all I can say is that when visiting Anaheim, there is NO other place to stay if you want luxury, location and above and beyond customer service. I've already recommended this hotel to several colleagues and friends and will be the only place we stay when returning to Anaheim. Just loved it and you will too!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank QFP
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2009

Stayed 5 nights bec of the promotion buy 3 nights, stay 5 nights.

Pros:
As stated before, location is the BEST feature. Our room had a view of downtown disney and fireworks every night. It was really convenient to exit hotel thru side fire exit bec it minimized a lot of walking. Size was ok. We had room service several times and food was ok. Service is exemplary. I had no problems at all. Everyone was very helpful.

Cons
For the price, I expected a bit more. HK Disneyland Hotel and Hollwood Hotel have nicer rooms and toiletries. The room is ok. I think they should renovate soon because it's starting to show age. My daughter and mom are asthmatic. It was ok for awhile, but it didn't seem be very clean. I checked under the beds and there was a plastic wrapper left by previous guest. It also looked dusty under there. I emailed/called them before going and mentioned that we needed a really clean room bec of our asthma situation...they promised they would do something about it.... probably didn't do a thorough job. I had to ask housekeeping to vacuum the whole room again.

Overall:
I'd probably go back if they had a simiar promotion just because the location is convenient for us. We spent mornings in the park and afternoon nappings.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
6 Thank Charlene C
Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2009

I've stayed at the Grand Californian 3 times. My first two visits were wonderful. However, my last trip I had booked a totally of 3 rooms for 4 nights. All three of our rooms were suppose to be "Theme park views" none were. Instead they placed us over the pool with a great view of the construction and noise. Normally I am a huge fan of the hotel, but this stay was not up to par. After realizing the errors in room locations, we promptly went to talk to the front desk. Basically we were told, "Sorry". This wasn't acceptable to me or my husband, seeing as the only reason we chose to pay the higher price for this hotel was the park views. My husband talked with management and our rooms were eventually moved later in the trip. None of the rooms conveniently located next to each other as requested. What burned me more was a hole in my sheet. I was flabbergasted with disappointment.
My husband's parents and my parent's both traveled long distances to spend Christmas with our family in Disneyland for the first time in over five years a part for the holidays. I started planning this trip in Aug '08, making sure I had all the dinner reservations and hotel set perfectly for our holiday. I'm sad to say the Grand Californian with their lack of caring kept a cloud over my entire vacation.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank MsLV
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2009

Check in was quick as we arrived in the early afternoon on a weekday. The cast member offered us a room that was ready for us in the new wing. As I was celebrating a birthday she gave us trio of ballons tied to look like Micky, a signed 8 x 10 photo of Minnie and a button to wear. Don't forget to wear your button as it will get you a sweet after your meals, even at breakfast. The room overlooked the pool and California with a nice balcony to hang out on. The room was clean and well decorated. It is a split bath with the sinks and vanity outside of the shower/toilet room. Housekeeping was spotty. No turn down chocolates one evening and no shampoo bottles replaced one morning.

Be aware the new wing is a walk to get to. It takes several minutes to get to the lobby, California or Downtown Disney. The best part is being able to walk into California or to Disneyland without having to catch a shuttle to get anywhere. Although we were able to find a discounted rate for the Hotel, the price is very high compared to non-Disney hotels of comparable quality.

1 Thank Debra P
nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

What a beautiful and serene hotel with unbeatable location so close to the parks. It's difficult to stay anywhere else once you've stayed here. We checked out hotels surrounding Disneyland for our next trip but couldn't imagine staying anywhere else. Beds were very comfy with down comforters and pillows and nice linens. Rooms are not large but have a mini fridge and coffeemaker. We will be back!

2 Thank shaveice