“Grand time at the Grand Californian!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Buffalo
“Grand time at the Grand Californian!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

I stayed for 5 nights at the Grand Californian at the end of May, and had a wonderful time. It was my first time staying onsite at Disneyland, as it was the first time I had been there in 17 years, I have been going to Disney World practically every year for years, and had been wanting to go back to Disneyland, so the right time came up, and I decided to go all out and stay at the Grand Californian.

We (there were two of us) were greeted with "Welcome Home" by the friendly cast member upon arrival, and were checked in and in our room on the 5th floor within 10 mins. It was a two bed room, with a sitting area, TV, separate sinks outside the bathroom (two sinks) and a balcony. The view wasn't a theme park one, but rather one of the Disneyland Hotel and the Paradise Pier Hotel, but that was fine with us.

The room was clean, and good sized. The only complaints I have were the door to the cabinet containing the refrigerator didn't shut all the way, I tried to move the refrigerator back, and it just wouldn't work, it wouldn't shut by about an inch anyway you tried. It's just a refrigerator, BTW, and not a mini bar, as we used it to keep stuff in. Also, the water pressure in the shower was horrible. No matter where you had it, it would go from very hot, to cold, back to hot again. The bathroom is also very small, and at first when you turn the light on in it, it's not very bright at all and becomes brighter the longer the light is on. The first time I went in it, I thought, this lighting is horrible, then I saw how it worked. The internet, both wired or wireless, they say when you connect is "free" but really, it isn't, technically, as part of the room price is a daily resort fee that includes the internet use. The connection was always good and was never lost. A couple nights we came back to find chocolates left for us by the maid.

The hotel's location can't be beat. There's the private entrance to California Adventure, and there's an entrance right into Downtown Disney also, which if you walk through, you can get to the Disneyland main gate in 5 minutes. We had a wonderful time at both parks, we had their deal of 5 for 3 days, so we had more than enough time to see everything we wanted in both parks and at Downtown Disney. We didn't have a car, but spent part of one day taking a guided tour of Hollywood, through Grey Line. A bus picks you up right at the hotel, takes you to a central location where everyone gets their bus tickets to whatever tour their taking (Universal Studios, Knott's Berry Farm, Hollywood etc...) and then after the tour, the bus dropped us right back at the hotel. It was a 10 hr tour, but worth the price to see a lot of interesting sights. We took the tour on a Saturday, and still had time to go to Disneyland that night as they were open to Midnight. I highly recommend the tour, Luis was a very friendly and informative guide!

We ate in the hotel at their quick service place, Whitewater Snacks, which was good, but expensive (as most of the on property restaurants at Disneyland are) and one night we had dinner at Storyteller's Cafe, the buffet was very good, but also expensive. They recommend you have Priority Seating reservations ahead of time, but we went in, asked if anything was available for two, they offered us a table right then, but we passed and took one a couple hours later, they had plenty of openings. We also ate off-site a few times, at some places on Harbor Blvd, which was a short walk from the hotel. You just walk as if you're going to Disneyland, but continue walking straight, past all the various shuttle stops, and you reach Harbor Blvd. We ate at Captain Kidd's buffet (not too great), IHOP (standard IHOP), and Mimi's, which I've seen often recommended. It was a very good place.

The hotel itself is beautiful, it reminded me of the Wilderness Lodge at Disney World, where I stayed 3 years ago. The high ceilings in the lobby and the overall style was just like that, very beautiful and detailed. The lobby was nice to just sit in, there's a piano player, and comfortable chairs, and a little area for kids where they can sit and watch Disney cartoons.

I can't comment on some of the other hotel amenities, like the pools, business center, or fitness center/spa, as we didn't use any of them. I did notice the business center closed early, though. The gift shop's posted closing time is 8:00, but every night they were open later than that. I noticed the shop in the Disneyland Hotel was the same way.

Overall, it's a beautiful, spacious hotel, and I will gladly stay there again when I return to Disneyland, whenever that may be. I did take a walk over to the Disneyland Hotel one night, and that was also very nice.

I would definitely recommend the Grand Californian to anyone!

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Valley City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2010

Wow. The staff, the hotel, the location couldn't be any better. I will not be making any more trips to Disneyland without staying at this hotel. Disney really knows how to cater to its guests. My only complaint is that the toilet paper is only single ply, and I really had to dig deep to come up with that nit to pick.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank emmasweeny
Red Bluff, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2010

Great Hotel1 We travel there quite often and although it is pricey, we will always return!
Im not sure If our kids have more fun than we do?

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kbrohn
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

If you're travelling with an obsessed Disney fan (as I was), this is the only hotel to stay at when visiting Disneyland in Anaheim. We stayed 3 nights & it was worth every penny. We were able to get a discounted rate from Disneyland's website, so it was 40% off. Service was friendly & upon arrival, they upgraded us to the Concierge level. The restaurant is definitely worth visiting at least once (to see Chip & Dale), & the grand lobby is quite impressive.

Regarding the room itself, the beds are extremely comfortable, bathrooms are spotless, & the overall look of the room fits well with the overall theme of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CrazyFoodieGuy
Lawrence, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

I can't really add much about this wonderful hotel that hasn't already been said, but I did want to comment on just the access to Disneyland and experience versus Walt Disney World. As a DVC member, I have been to Disney World almost every year for about the last 10 years. I love it there, but I was quite surprised how much I also enjoyed my stay at the Grand Californian and the Disneyland parks. Disneyland, while not as big, did seem to have almost all of the rides you love from Disney World without as many long lines. Over the course of two and a half days, we were able to ride all the rides, with many being ridden multiple times. This was great for people will small children that sometimes get difficult when waiting in long lines. If you love Disney World, I would suggest you give Disneyland a try because I think you will find it well worth it.

1 Thank Jayhawk_in_Lawrence
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2010

We used a few of our Disney Vacation Club (DVC) points for a one night stay at in a one-bedroom Villa timeshare unit that is part of the recently completed expansion of the Disney Grand Californian Hotel and Spa. As owners of a DVC at Walt Disney World (WDW), we decided to use some of our point allotment to check out the Villas even though we live in locally in Southern California. We stayed at the hotel about 7 years ago as regular paying guests in a standard room and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Our stay in a DVC Villa was incredible and we wished we added an extra day or two to our Memorial Day getaway.

There are only 50 two-bedroom equivalent Villas in the entire hotel and our one bedroom Villa was located on the third floor, unit number 3514. All the Villas are clustered in the southernmost wing of the Hotel’s new expansion. While a room in the hotel can be notoriously far from an elevator lobby, the Villas are nearly adjacent to an elevator lobby in the new wing. Half the Villas have views looking inward towards the swimming pool areas and the other half face outward overlooking the Disney California Adventure theme park. I requested a theme park view Villa on a high floor. Our view from the balcony was indeed towards the theme park, but only on the third floor providing only a view of tall trees that shade the Redwood Creek Challenge play area of the theme park. It was peaceful enough, although not a view of the Paradise Pier area of the theme park.

We arrived in the morning and we were registered in and issued keys, although our Villa was not ready. We left our bags with the bell captain and received a text message around 2:30 PM (check in is at 4:00 PM) to inform us that our room was ready. Our issued room cards were imprinted with each person’s name and the dates of the stay. Charging privileges can be added to the room cards at check in.

All of the furnishings were top notch and in excellent condition. The one bedroom unit was extremely spacious for the five members in our family. The king bed in the master bedroom was awesomely comfortable and the bedroom had a writing desk, flat screen TV and plenty of spacious drawers. There was a safe in the master bedroom closet as well. There was WiFi internet access or a modem connection on the master bedroom desk.

In the living room and kitchen area, there is a corner dining table that easily could accommodate up to 8, a sofa bed and side chair, two stools for the breakfast counter, a flat screen TV and DVD player housed in a wall sized cabinet that cleverly hid a trundle bed. Our 2 teen girls used the pull-out queen sofa bed and both said they got a sound sleep. My teen son used the pull-down trundle bed under the second flat screen television unit in the living room and said it was a bit small for his 5’7” frame such that he had to curl up slightly to sleep. Even with both the sofa bed and trundle bed open at night, space was not an issue at all. Those sleeping in the living room have their own closet in the entry.

The master bath was huge and by far better than the older DVC villas in WDW. The master bathtub had water jets and was spacious, the glassed-in shower was very large with a good spray and the master bathroom sink offered plenty of countertop space and storage underneath. The master bath toilet was in its own separate room adjacent to the bathroom. An even greater plus was the second full bathroom that is included in the one bedroom Villas. It had its own glassed-in shower, sink and toilet. There was plenty of lighting in both bathrooms, although the master bedroom lighting was not bright enough.

My wife was fully impressed by the full kitchen. Stainless steel plated appliances included a full refrigerator/freezer, stove/oven, dishwasher, sink with disposal, and an overhead microwave oven/vent. Everything worked fine and the kitchen was well stocked with a toaster, coffee maker, 3 pots, 2 frying pans, baking sheet, serving platters and place settings for 6 persons. Countertops were granite and the kitchen island provided enough counter space. The stacked clothes washer and dryer unit were nicely hidden away in a closet adjacent to the second bath. An ironing board, wooden high chair and a pack-n-play were also tucked away in this closet.

It is the little details that the Disney company provided that made our stay in the Villas that much more enjoyable and helped to remind us that we were not just in any ordinary hotel or timeshare. The Arts and Crafts architectural theme of the Grand Californian is fully reflected in the new Villas from the hard wood furniture, wood moldings, wood interior doors, light fixtures, floor tiles, shower tiles and even the wallpaper borders. Plus the hotel grounds and public spaces are wonderful as well.

Our one night stay did not allow us to use the gym facilities, the Mandara Spa, or the swimming pools (which were quite busy when we checked in). The 3 pools are clustered in the same area and are spacious, but nothing uniquely Disney (unlike the Disneyland Hotel pool which is themed heavily towards Peter Pan). The Mariposa Pool area that is closest to the Villas contained several cabanas that could be rented for an additional fee. All the lounges were cushioned and looked really relaxing.

Simple grocery items and prepared foods could be purchased at Whitewater Snacks. We had a great buffet dinner in Storyteller’s Café, but did not get to try out the signature restaurant Napa Rose. The private access to the Disney California Adventure them park is a nice perk for hotel guests only (workers are now requiring proof of stay room keys due to the anticipated popularity of the new World of Color water show). We had forgotten that there was a DVC members-only Paradise View Terrace overlooking the theme park and unfortunately did not check it out. From the exterior of the hotel, it did not look that large and might become a popular spot to view the World of Color shows.

As a DVC user, I am now a new fan of the one bedroom Villas and will definitely make the Grand Californian a destination to itself and forget about spending all day in the theme parks. The Villas are spacious, better than homes away from home, and are worth the time and money to experience, especially for families who desire a unique Disneyland Resort experience. Yes there are a huge number of far cheaper motels and hotels that are in Anaheim and these are fine to simply lay your head down at night. But for an unforgettable and fun resort experience to make you feel like you are getting away from it all, this Anaheim hotel wins hands down.

13 Thank JasminedogLosAngeles
Millbrae, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

Disney prides itself from excellent customer service and this I find to be true except unfortunately during the last 5 minutes of our stay at Grand California over the Memorial Weekend when I brought our valet ticket to the window to pick up our car and the attendant ask me " Are you sure you are in the right hotel?" It's a very insulting question and attendant could have handled the situation better by asking the manager about old valet ticket which they issued to us at check in.

Anyways, the best way to describe this hotel is location, location, location, just like in real estate. Best part is you can walk to the park and avoid the hassles that come when staying at neighborhood hotels, such as parking at the main garage and lifting your sleeping child from stroller to ride the tram. The room is not perfect, I saw stain on the carpet, but sheets are very clean which is important to me. Rooms are okay in size, just enough space for bed/beds, just something to consider if you think your kids need room to play , my kids are older so they just navigate around the beds. When they were younger (toddlers) we stayed in other hotels that have suites to give them more room to unwind.

I think that management can make the rooms homier if microwave is standard in every room. Most guests that stay here are families with kids/ babies and always need to heat up something like snacks, food for special diet and water to heat up baby food.

Overall, you're paying for location, Disney service and experience. Rooms are comparable to other hotels, or I would even rate rooms to be much better at Grand Hyatt.

3 Thank MillbraeMargotD