“Great Location. Terrible Price.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa

Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa
Ranked #33 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
California
“Great Location. Terrible Price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2010

I knew this was outrageously priced to begin with but it was highly recemmended by friends. This hotel had the best service perhaps I've experienced in some time as well as the best location imaginable. It is also very picturesque and all in all a great experience. There were also several cons to consider. First the price. We paid top dollar unfortunately due to the timing but it came to $600 per night for a standard box size hotel room. The room decor was less than a standard Marriott resort room and surprisingly they don't have pay per view movies. After a long day at the park, it would have been nice to take a break and let the kids relax and watch a movie. For the money, I expected most everything to be dialed in and it was with the exception of the room itself. All in all, a nice place but not a good value. I'm guessing I would have been very pleased at $400 a night which is what the two other Disney hotels were at. The service was simply great and that's always nice.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2010

We decided to splurge on this hotel for our trip this Christmas. Check-in was super quick; we were able to check in at 10am. Our room was clean, quiet, and just charming. Free self-parking conveniently located across the street. Some of the perks include: magic morning hours (you can go to Disneyland an hour ahead of all the craziness, which is great for peak time like Christmas and summertime), private entrance to the California Adventure park (no line!), have all your shopping bags delivered to your room at the end of the day... and of course, top notch customer service. The two restaurants we tried were, of course, overpriced, like everything else in Disneyland; but quality of food and service was excellent. If you have some extra bucks to spend on your next Disneyland trip, you should definitely stay at this hotel.

Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2010

Our 4th stay at the Grand...and our best, so far! Just don't think you can beat the experience.
Location is everything, sure, but the hotel is much more than its address. From our check-in to reluctant farewell, we were treated with courtesy by front desk, bell staff, and housekeeping. And the beds are terrific! After a bone-weary day of trodding both parks, I was only too happy to climb into the best sleep in the 'Land.
We have been visiting Disneyland during the holidays for the last 15 years. While it is true you DO pay for the experience of lodging here, you also pay dearly for a poor stay somewhere else. This hotel will always be my first choice...if considering the Grand Californian, be sure and check out the Disney's website for promotions. Well worth it!

1 Thank WestofSomewhere
Kerrville, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

Welcome to my 200th review, everyone. Today I will talk about how good Disney's Grand Californian Hotel in Disneyland is. Let's start with:

Parking
The valet at the front door is very convenient for parking, and I highly recommend that over self-parking. Why? Because the parking lot is across the street in the Paradise Pier hotel garage. Really, it doesn't seem like a big deal, but when your feet are hurting from walking all day, it can be a problem. So, just take the valet. It's easy

The staff at this hotel and all of Disneyland are exceptionally friendly. They definitely know what they are doing, and want to make sure you have a good experience in the resort.

Rooms
I had two rooms that were meant to have views of the California Adventure park. The first room, despite being advertised as a park view room, only had a view of a line of trees. What the? Thankfully, we were able to get our rooms changed and we ended up in Room 5250, which ended up having THE best view of the Paradise Pier area of the park, which is very pretty at night, and the balcony provided a perfect view (and seat) for the World of Color show that plays twice nightly down there. It's worth the extra money for the upgrade.
The room itself was very comfortable. The shower was very good, as were the beds, but I felt the pillows were a little too big for my taste. The bedding was very nice, though, and we had a great TV. Finally, room service brought up a pretty good hamburger with yummy fries.

Pool
The pool was pretty nice. The slide was a lot of fun.

Spa
I actually did use the on-site Mandara Spa for a pedicure after walking a lot, and I enjoyed it a lot. I like that little, warm, foamy tub that you soak your feet in, and the pedicure was done by a very nice Vietnamese lady who was really diligent at the treatment. It was very relaxing and, again, worth the money.

Location
This hotel has a backdoor entry into the California Adventure park which is located between the Napa Rose restaurant and the spa, and that sure is convenient. It also has easy access to Downtown Disney and the DIsneyland Park, a.k.a the Magic Kingdom.

Arcade
There is a video arcade on the premises, and it's not too bad for a hotel arcade.

Conclusion
This is definitely a fantastic hotel to stay at. It has a wonderful and welcoming theme, the staff is great, and the rooms are really nice. One piece of advice: If you look for a room, get one in the 5200 block, even numbers. The view is amazing.

Thanks for reading!

Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2010

A+ in every, single, way!

From the ambiance and service to the location, this hotel is simply perfection! My husband and our two children stayed here in October and were pleasantly surprised by the excellent customer service upon check in.

The rooms are beautiful and the hotel is centrally located right in the heart of Disneyland - perfect for those with small children.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this resort and we will most definitely be back!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Thetravelingfamilia
Kapolei, Hawaii
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2010

We stayed at the Grand once before in 2006 and I am convinced that we won't be able to stay anywhere else. The location is superb. Guests of the Grand also get to enter the adventure park 1 hour earlier to get World of Color fast passes.

2 issues this time around:

1) when we checked in at 4pm, our room wasn't ready. I was told that I would receive a text when the room was ready. We went shopping and had dinner and at 8pm, still no text. When I checked with the front desk, they apologized, my room had been ready, and they don't know why I didn't receive the text.

2) we returned from the parks one day at 4pm and the maid had not cleaned our room yet.

However, these incidents didn't upset me enough to not return!

Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2010

Having stayed at many other Disney properties over the years I must admit that my expectations were high for this property. First, the positives.

1) It's the Grand Californian! It is, quite simply, a beautiful property. Once you have seen it, you will want to stay there just based on the decorating of the property.
2) Location - come on, if you love Disney, who doesn't want to stay at the closest property to the park?
3) Food - the dining at this resort is amazing. I eat at the Napa Rose even when I stay at other resorts.

Did it live up to my expectations? Unfortunately, no. What was I surprised with?

1) The view. We requested and paid for a theme park view. I would never make this mistake again. Having stayed at other resorts with theme park views, our family was quite excited. After a long check-in process we went to our room and had a lovely view of ... the back of a ride under construction. So, I phoned the front desk and asked if I could change. They said definitely. We hauled our luggage back to the front desk, and got a new room with what we were told would be an amazing view. We were so excited that when we got to the room we dropped our luggage and ran to the balcony and saw.... trees. Nothing but trees. After waiting over an hour with checking in and going back to change the room we said forget it, so that's where we stayed.
2) The price - sorry, I would love to say this is worth it, but there is no way I could justify staying here again. For me, the rooms were too small for the price.
3) Cleanliness - surprisingly, not up to par for me. One of the things I have always admired about the Disney parks is the cleanliness. In BOTH rooms, the original one we did not stay in and the second one we did stay in, there was leftover ketchup packets and hot sauce bottles. The rooms were overall clean, but once I saw that some refuse had been missed I started inspecting the room closer. Found some candy wrappers behind the dresser (I know, I shouldn't be that concerned but, hey!, that's just who I am) and a small container behind the TV. But the bathroom was clean, the sheets were clean and floor was not stained or dirty, so while I was surprised I was not overly bothered by it.

After staying in almost every Disney property in Florida, and every property in Anaheim, I can sum up my experience at this hotel as follows: for me, The Grand Californian is like a town where I say to myself "it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there". The food is great, the service is good, the property is pretty clean, and the decorating in the main part of the hotel is amazing. If you have a lot of disposable income, then stay here and don't give it a second thought. If you are looking for better values - bigger rooms and better views for a lesser price - maybe look into some other options for your family.

I would recommend this hotel for single travellers or smaller families with bigger budgets. I definitely would not recommend the theme park view upgrade.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family