“Good Location, Service Not So Great”

Sheraton Park Hotel at the Anaheim Resort
Ranked #37 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
Reviewed 21 April 2009

After debating for weeks between the Hyatt, Marriott Suites, Embassy Suites and Sheraton, I finally decided to stay at the Sheraton. I wanted to avoid the $20 early check in fee the Hyatt was charging, the Sheraton was within walking distance to Disney and Sheraton's usually have great service. I called the hotel about three weeks in advance and spoke with someone in guest services who asked me for my travel dates (April 8-14) and told me that I would have no problem checking in early and getting a room with a view of the park. The person I spoke with advised me to include my requests when I made the reservation which I did.
I arrived at the hotel at 1:30pm, two hours later than expected b/c I missed my flight. I was told my room was not ready and check-in is not guaranteed until 4pm but a room may become available before that. I left my bags with guest services, went out to get something to eat and when I returned at 3pm, the room was still not ready! I decided to wait in the lobby, my six year old was exhausted at this point...we had been up since 3am New York time and had taken an eight hour connecting flight...I also want to mention that out of all the traveling that I have done, I have NEVER had a problem checking in early to a hotel! Well at 4pm when my room was still not ready, I was told that because I had a special request they could not guarantee my request by 4pm, they could just guarantee A room! I eventually got a room at 4:10pm and went upstairs to a semi-clean room. I found hair in the bathtub, hair pins on the floor, some type of crust on the bed skirt and the welcome book had some nasty brown stuff in it on multiple pages! After freezing for 30 minutes (I am anemic) because I couldn't change the room temperature, I called to request extra blankets which took 30 minutes to arrive...
I spent the rest of my time at the property avoiding the front desk. I did have to dispute a charge at check-out which was removed with no problem.

Pros: comfortable beds, great shower, guest services helpful (especially Gary), walk to/from Disney with 6 year old was not bad, great view of fireworks from room, convenient business center, nice gift shop for me to pick up last minute gifts
Cons: not so friendly front desk, towels so hard I turned red each time I used them, couldn't control the room temperature, TOO much noise from room next door (around the 4th day at 4:30 am) I could hear everything! Also, housekeeping.....Housekeeping did NOT do a good job of cleaning the room but had no problem MOVING my stuff around EVERYDAY! Our toothbrushes were moved, comb, brush...one day, my contact case and glasses were moved from the nightstand to the area near the T.V., papers and brochures..All of my personal items that should not have been touched were moved around!
Overall, I do not think I would stay here again...

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank DisneyGirlNY

Reviewed 18 April 2009

Clean, nice rooms. Close to Disneyland resort. You get service if you ask for it but otherwise don't expect much. Asked for help with our luggage and the porter just... disappeared.
Fine as a home base for visiting theme parts and such.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2009

If you are going to Disney I suppose this hotel may be OK for you. If not, I suggest you look at other options. Upon arrival check-in was slow and there was only one other person ahead of me with the second agent on the phone. Once I got to my room I noticed something wrong with my room door - as there was a 1" gap in the door between the frame and the door. I left my items in the room and went back to the desk to notifiy them of the problem and at first I thought that the staff were laughing at the problem as I stuck around until the maintenance guy showed up at the desk - as I stood by they appeared to have a little bit of a chuckle about something. I went out to dinner and when I came back a different agent told me that they could fix the problem until the next day. They only moved me after I had requested it.

The rooms were also a little on the small side. There was a fridge provided in the room so that was a great bonus, but no coffee or tea set up. I also had to ask for a newspaper - which I though was automatic with Starwood hotels. Parking was provided for $14.00 which I though was high considering you are not exactly downtown, but I assume it was because of the close proximity to Disney.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank martythemonkey
Reviewed 8 April 2009

First let me say I have worked in the hotel industry for many years now so my standards are high. My family and I stayed at the hotel over the past weekend. The guest service staff was very friendly and helpful. Front desk staff I can not say was as friendly. Do not feel we were ever greeted by them once. Never saw the desk staffed with more than one person at a time. So upon check in I had a wait at the desk for a while because the person on staff was on the phone helping another guest. Rooms were nice, clean. Did not have a refrigerator in them as stated as one of the amenities. My biggest complaint is also what another reviewer stated before. In the middle of the night my family and I were so warm. We needed the AC but when I called the desk I was told that they control the temp that there was no AC I could control in the room. So we spent the 3 nights there with the balcony door open because that was the only way we could cool the room down enough to get any sleep. Not fun having huge bugs in the room at one point in time because there was no screen. They should not list this hotel as air conditioned. It should say climate controlled by staff.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Osbornchrs
Reviewed 1 April 2009

I stayed at the Hotel as it was one of the official hotels of a Convention that I was attending at the neighboring Anaheim Convention Center ( a beautiful facility!). This hotel provides a nice proximity to the Convention Center, the Disneyland Resort, as well as other nearby non-Disney shops and restaurants.

My impressions:

Reservation & Arrival:
Reserved the room through Sheraton website - very easy and accurate reservations. All pictures and features listed on the website were accurate and realistic portrayal of the hotel. Took Super Shuttle from LAX airport to hotel - about 45 minute ride.
Arrived at about 9:00 p.m. Curb appeal of hotel was nice - lots of stuff right around the hotel. Lobby is very open and looks nice. Check-in was immediate and efficient. A wuick walk from the lobby to the tower building where all of the rooms are located - you do have to go outside - everything is well laid-out - easy to find your way around.

Room
My room was a standard king bed, decorated in typical Sheraton style, modern furnishing, color scheme was dark, bold colors with lots are dark wood. Art on walls was built on theme of palm trees, matched well with the theme of the Anaheim Resort area. Room had nice full glass wall with sliding door to a roomy balcony with two balcony chairs and small table - my balcony overlooked the nicely landscaped pool area - lots of very tall palm trees!.

Beds are wonderful - nice support, great plentiful pillows, and nice duvet. Bathroom was somewhat small but adequate, everything looked very clean and well-maintained.

FOOD
Ate Breakfast a couple of mornings at Molly's Kitchen - I liked the wide variety of choices - large portions, good quality, very good service.

Ate Dinner 2 times at Overland Stage rest.- Huge portions, good quality of food, pleasant atmsophere, good service.

Didn't eat at the 3rd restaurant - Morton's Steakouse nor from the 'Grab-N-Go" snack bar, but there seem to be a nice variety of food options there.

SERVICE:
All contacts with staff (housekeeping, bell services, guest services, etc. were all great. Everyone was pleasant and eager to help.

CHECKOUT:
On final day, was granted request for late check-out (I am a Starwood Preferred Guest member.) Used Express checkout - bill was totally accurate.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again and would recommend it as a good option for anyine staying in the area without the need to be 'inside" the Disneyland Resort.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank JAR303
Reviewed 1 April 2009

The A/C & heating in this property are on one central system. Which mode is operating is determined by engineering - NOT THE CUSTOMERS. So, if you like be in control of your environment, stay somewhere else. We sweated through 3 nights of 76 degree room temperatures because the A/C was switched off at 9:00pm. The manager's suggestion? Sleep with the sliding glass door open. Open to city lights, city traffic, city smog, and whatever beasties might fly in because there are no screens.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 March 2009

I stayed at the Sheraton Park for 2 nights with my 2 daughters (3 and 8). We purchased a package from Costco Travel which included our hotel stay, 3 day Park Hopper tickets and a free Character Breakfast. Definitely check them out for your trip. Costco included lots of little extras and we had a $50 gift card good for any restaurants at the hotel waiting for us that I wasn't expecting.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sheraton Park because it was so convenient to the park, clean and relatively quiet. You can easily walk back and forth to the park. The shuttle is convenient and there's a kiosk to buy your tickets where you pick up the shuttle in the hotel driveway. We had a room away from the elevators on the Disney side of the hotel and we were able to see and hear the fireworks but didn't have a lot of other noise from adjacent rooms. The rooms aren't very large, but not uncomfortably small for a family of four. The pool area was nice and well maintained with plenty of towels available.

We ate at the pool one day and had standard kid menu fare (mini corn dogs and chicken tenders with fries) that was fine. We had breakfast one morning through room service that was served in less than half an hour, the food was good and the portions were huge. It's not the full "Disney" experience you get when staying at one of the hotels inside the park, but I thought the hotel provided great value.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family