“Wonderful!!!!!”

The Anabella
Ranked #54 of 119 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We loved this place! The room was clean, quiet, and wonderful. The staff was excellent. My husband told the manager that he hoped the property lived up to it's pictures. When asked why he told the manager about our last expierence out of the country. The manager gave us a free upgrade to make up for our previous hotel. The room was great. We had several meals and all the food was fair priced and wonderful. I wish I could remember the name of our waiter, he was perfect. The family pool was warm but crowded. The adult pool water was a bit to cool for us, but the lounge chairs and service were great. The hotel is across the street from Disneyland and just a short walk. We will recommend this hotel to everyone. A quite little gem after a loud busy day at th parks. I've read some of the other reviews and I'm not sure we all stayed at the same place. We had none of the problems. Yes, the hotel is older, but that's part of the charm, the grounds were beautiful and well kept. If you want to stay in a newer hotel, try the Hotel California, it was $500 per night. We were treated like we were in a 5 star hotel. Just about every hotel charges for parking these days. We did not have children with us, maybe they put us in the adult part of the property? The only time we heard kids was at breakfeast or the family pool....we stayed at the adult pool.

Room Tip: If you are adults, ask for the back of the San Diego. It was quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GGentry, Front Office Manager at The Anabella, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2012

Well thank you so much for posting that you had a wonderful time at the Anabella Hotel and Resort. I am really excited to hear that you were treated with professionalism and amazing customer service. He try very hard with each and every one of our guest to ensure that our guests have an outstanding stay at the Anabella Hotel and Resort. As for your upgrade I am pleased that we could make your stay here that much better than your previous hotel stay. Thanks again for you feed back and we hope to see you stay with us again in the near future.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,244)

Reviewed 27 August 2012

I stayed at the anabella for the weekend with my boyfriend it was are first time staying there and it was my birthday that week and I booked a standard king size bed and when i checked in there was a young lady by the name tatiana at the front desk and she checked me in and said I got a comp upgrade and i said thank you she said your welcome and and she wished me a happy birthday I love the anabella now I Im going to stay here whenever I go out of town.

• Stayed: May 2012
GGentry, Front Office Manager at The Anabella, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2012

First of all thank you very much for taking the time to post online regarding your recent stay here at the Anabella Hotel and Resort. I am pleased to hear that you and your boyfriend had a wonderful time at the Anabella Hotel and Resort. I am so happy that you received wonderful service from our nice Front Desk agent Tatiana, anytime we have complimentary upgrads available we try to accommodate our guest, It is music to my ears to hear that you not only had a nice trip but a wonderful birthday. Thanks again and we are looking forward to seeing you stay with us again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Staff were all very helpful and even upgraded us without asking. Rooms were big and spacious for the four of us. The toilet ran constantly so my husband finally just turned it off while we slept. The airconditioner also ran all night. This was fine as it provide white noise while our children slept. We really didn't spend much time in the room as we only stayed the one night and spent the majority of the day at Disneyland. I loved that we could easily walk to the parks and not be constrained by shuttles. I think if your purpose is to spend most of your time at the park, this hotel will work fine. If you intend on doing some relaxing in your room - you may want to find something better suited.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Thank you very much for posting a positive kind review online regarding your recent stay here at the Anabella Hotel and Resort. I am so pleased that you liked the room and felt that they were spacious. I am so sorry that you had a toilet running all night that is a quick and easy fix should have been resolved quickly so I am very sorry about the toilet and Air Conditioner. I do love our location as much as you loved it and I am so pleased that the hotel worked beautifully for you. Thanks again for the taking the time to post online and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 26 August 2012

Our first impression of the Anabella was not great - when we arrived after a very early flight and were told by the receptionist (who seemed unsure of facts ) that the room we had booked was not ready which was very disappointing as I had already purchased Disneyland tickets (for the four of us) for that day and the clock was ticking. While we regrouped in the lobby we were approached by timeshare sales, again something we could do without and weren't expecting in the lobby of a hotel in Disneyland. I guess I must have looked unhappy as the receptionist called us back to the desk saying that they could offer us a room but it would be a $25 per day upgrade - we took the room and when we saw it I felt very ripped off, I hate to think what our original room would have been like! the room was clean, very small and outdated.
On a good note, the location is excellent, a pleasant stroll to downtown Disney and Disneyland. The adult only pool was also nice as our family group are all over 21 and the other pool was full of kids, as expected!

Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
GGentry, Front Office Manager at The Anabella, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

First of all thank you very much for the taking time out of your busy day to post online regarding your stay here at the Anabella Hotel and Resort. I am sorry that you were upset that you could not get into your room very early but our check in time is at 4pm which all of our staff is trained on I do ensure of that. I do apologize for this representative during your check in we are looking into this and I am very sorry that you did not like the room at all. We try very hard with all of our representatives and we are updating all of our rooms, as we speak so I am very sorry for the challenges you did have and I do hope you try the Anabella again in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

My family recently took a trip to Disneyland and occupied three separate rooms at this hotel and all of us experienced a variety of issues with this place. Overall, I do not consider myself a "picky" traveler--I do not mind outdated TV's, a loud hotel environment, uncomfortable beds, a charge for parking, or bad water pressure--but one thing I do expect from a hotel is cleanliness and I found this to be an huge area of opportunity for this hotel.

First, I will start with the pros of this hotel--

15 Minute Walk to Disneyland
Very Friendly and Helpful Staff
Beautiful Grounds
Spacious Rooms
Updated Suites

Cons: Cleanliness and Service

While our Bella Rey King was definitely spacious enough for the two of us (my boyfriend and I) there were several issues with cleanliness that I noticed. The bathtub was rusty, the wallpaper was peeling, and the wall shelf (for the hair dryer) was covered in about a month's worth of dust. In addition, there were serious issues with getting our room cleaned on a daily basis. The second day of our stay, we were at Disneyland almost the entire day yet our room was never cleaned (and the "please do not disturb sign" was never out). The third day of our stay we returned from Disneyland at about 3 pm and our room still had not been cleaned. At this point I called to the front desk and ask that they send someone, to which their response was "right away." We went to the pool to give the staff time to clean. An hour later we headed back to our room (assuming that our room was definitely clean by that point) and as we were walking towards it, a maid entered to start cleaning (an hour after my call). My boyfriend's brother's room was not cleaned at all during his entire stay. After watching how the staff cleaned the rooms each day, we realized that two employees would start at opposite ends of a row (or at least our row) and work their way towards the middle. Our two rooms were the two middle rooms and because of this got neglected each day. They need to devise a system to ensure that all rooms are getting cleaned--ones that were not cleaned the day before should be the first ones to be cleaned the next morning.

They also need to give more attention to their pools. I had read reviews about "cloudy" pools, but did not take them seriously. After visiting both the pools, I can definitely verify the "cloudy" pool statements. After getting in both for about a minute, I felt disgusted and had to get out. The adult pool was so cloudy you could barely make out your feet at the bottom and there was hair visibly floating around everywhere.

More staff is also needed at their restaurant and bar area. While all of the staff here was pleasant, there were always too many customers for the amount of people working so the service was terrible. We visited two times and the wait for any type of initial service was about 15-20 minutes. After the first day we gave up and started eating elsewhere.

Finally, once we arrived home we realized that the hotel had charged our cards incorrectly. My boyfriend's brother was charged for both of our rooms despite the fact that we checked out separately and they ran both of our cards at check out.

I really wanted to enjoy my stay here, but unfortunately was not able to do so. The standard rooms seem to be greatly neglected. However, my boyfriend's parents stayed in a suite and it was updated, huge, and cleaned on a daily basis. If you are going to stay here, upgrade to a suite--it seems to be the only way to have a decent stay.

2  Thank Abbi B

Well thank you very much for taking the time to post an online review that is very important to the Anabella Management team. I am very happy that you stayed with the Anabella hotel and that you had several rooms with us. I am sorry that you had some issues during your stay like outdated the TV’s this is something we are updating and got 70 flat screens delivered two weeks ago and next week we are getting the remaining flat screens so that each and every room has a new LCD modern flat screen. In regards to the beds all of our beds are new and my biggest complaint that we have had is that are beds are two soft, but please elaborate on the beds because they are all new and if there is something wrong with the beds we will simply take that bed back. You had mentioned that the hotel was not clean and I am sorry you felt that way that is one of our number one priorities on property to make sure all the rooms, lobby, pool areas, and all of the other common areas are clean.

I am glad you felt positive about many aspects of our hotel such as the location to Disneyland which is just a ten to fifteen min walk away since we are on the back side of California adventure. Also I am glad you felt we provided friendly and helpful service which is a number one mentality we have here in that the guest always comes first. However, I am a little confused because you previously said we were not clean and now you are stating that our hotel has beautiful grounds please elaborate.

I am sorry that you had issues with your rooms all rooms have to be cleaned on a regular bases sometime the rooms are not cleaned until 5pm but all rooms are cleaned on a daily bases so I am very sorry that your room was not clean. This is something that we always do and I am very surprised on why this was not done and wish you had addressed this with a manager. I do want to let you know that each morning during pre-shift our housekeeping crew is given a list of the rooms they are to clean each day and then they are inspected by their supervisor to ensure that this was done, we are very happy that you brought this up even thought this is after the fact, this is extremely important for us to know.

Thanks again for all of your comments and I do hope that you try us again in the near future so that you can see our upgrades and why we are considered Anaheim’s best kept secret.

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Well..not sure where to begin. I am a seasoned traveler, both for business and pleasure. Just got back from a 5 night stay at this hotel and I am disgusted and very disappointed. After a long drive to the hotel, we checked in after 2:00 am, we pull up in the parking lot to be greeted by a family of possums. I asked the lady at the front desk about the critters, and she told me this was an outdoor resort and normal for the environment. I have stayed at hundreds of outdoor hotels and have never been welcomed by possums. Next, we enter the room and notice the air conditioning was not working. We call the front desk and they send someone out to fix it (it's now 3:00 am), but they were prompt so I was pleased. While I waited for the service man, I started to notice how dirty the floors were and how there is dirt and debris piled up in the corners of the room and bathroom. I was too tired to mention it and assumed it would be cleaned the next day. Please note that we always leave $4-$5 on the bed in the morning as a tip for the cleaning staff. The following evening, I came back to the room to find the same debris (and some dead bugs) on the floors and the corners. So the next morning, on our way out, I stopped by the front desk and asked that my room be vacuumed. The lady at the front desk said no problem. I have never had to ask that my hotel room be vacuumed! That afternoon, I returned to my room while the cleaning lady was there. I noticed that she didn't have a vacuum or a broom. I asked her how she was going to clean my room..(I am bilingual in Spanish so I was able to communicate with her clearly). She told me that they do not vacuum or sweep the floors, they only use a wet mop. How disgusting and unsanitary! Needless to say, the same piles of debris remained in the corners of the rooms during our entire stay. I couldn't believe this was happening, so of course I had to take pictures. On the fourth night, we returned to our room at 10:00 pm. The air conditioning was out again. We called for service while I patiently walked around the grounds with my 3 year old daughter who was asleep in the stroller. After about 20 minutes of waiting, I went to the front desk and they said someone would be on their way. I walked back to the room, and the service man was there. He said our unit was frozen and he would have to go find a replacement unit. I did not want to put my daughter in bed since she would be woken up by the work that had to be done in the room. So I continued to walk around with her asleep in the stroller. The possums were out all over the grounds, so I returned to the patio in front of my room to wait. Just as I returned, 2 possums ran in front of my feet, right in front of my room! Ok..by now I was freaked out and decided to wait inside the room. I was so disgusted not only by the dirty room but also by the critters running loose all over the hotel. Luckily, we were checking out the next day. I could not wait to get out of this place. In hindsight, we should have left after talking to the cleaning lady. But I tried to oversee the faults, and concentrate on the good. I just could not find anything good. We had a concierge level room on the ground floor. The pictures on the website showed a nice patio and a nice room. They obviously forgot to mention we payed extra for the animals and the filth. We ate at Tangerines (appetizers only) and drinks. They were ok. Nothing to brag about. Unfortunately, they could not make me the drinks advertised on their menus since they had run out of the ingredients (I asked for a particular drink 4 days in a row, and they still did not have the correct ingredients). The free breakfast is only for 2 people. Their concierge level suites have 2 beds and a pull out, obviously designed for more than 2 guests. But the hotel staff explained to me that they only offer their mediocre breakfast for 2 of the guests. Needless to say, we never ate breakfast there. I travel to the Anaheim area 4-5 times a year. I have always stayed at the Disney properties or Marriott resorts. This was my first experience with a motel in this area (I can't call this place a hotel). The saying "You get what you pay for" doesn't even apply here since we upgraded our room and payed just as much as we would have payed at the Marriott. We decided to stay at this hotel based on the pictures and the proximity to the parks. My sister in law was traveling with us so we really wanted a larger suite.

Overall, the room is large. The bathroom is cramped and has a pedestal sink so not much room for your toiletries. There is a large counter outside of the bathroom. The ceilings are very low outside of the bathroom, so if you are over 6' tall, you will have to bend over to get into the closet or bathroom area. Cable tv has the minimum channels, they charge for Wi-Fi, they charge for parking, and they charge your credit card $100 upon check-in for incidentals. By the time you're done paying for all the "extras", you could have payed for the clean hotels nearby. And don't forget to bring body soap or body wash. They do not provide any, they only have facial soap.

To GGentry... I understand it is your job to respond to these reviews with your standard answers. Please do not insult me with the standard responses. I just hope that the management realizes that a dirty hotel room is not acceptable and hopefully will provide your cleaning team with the appropriate tools for them to do their jobs correctly. I would be happy to post the pictures I took if you would like to see them. As for the possums, I understand they are not harmful creatures. But I'm sure most people will agree they would not like them roaming outside their rooms or in their hotel patio while they are trying to relax after a long day.

2  Thank Leila M
GGentry, Front Office Manager at The Anabella, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2012

Well Leila thank you for posting a review online regarding your stay at the hotel. First off, I am so sorry you were disgusted during your stay here that is something new for me to hear, but I would love to address some of the issues you commented on below. I was here for your entire stay and I am sorry that you felt this way, however I was never contacted and or asked to be spoken with which is something that all guest do during their stay if there is any problems or comments that are concerning. I am extremely sorry we never touch bases I would of loved to have helped you resolve some of these issues and if need be do some compensation.

In regards to you being bilingual and your conversation with our housekeeper, I do apologize but we do vacuum the floors and we do have vacuums on property that we use on a regular bases. I am sorry but that information was incorrect that you recievd from the housekeeper. In regards to your comments I am not sure how we would mop carpet floors that simply does not make sense we vacuum our carpet floors and mop our hardwood floors, just to clarify this is not an excuse for any dirt you might have had rather just a response to your comments. In regards to the dirt you noticed I am sorry but this is unacceptable anytime this is raised to our management team we do address this with severity.

You had commented on property that we have a possum, we did locate the possum and remove the critter I was not aware of any other ones on property as of 8/25/12, this is something that we absolutely do not allow as well. I would like to address the fact that you did comment that we were a motel property and I would like to disagree with you again unfortunately hotels are ranked and considered hotels or motels because of the amenities that they offer not the look which as a resort we do have a unique look to us. We being a 4 star property and a hotel and resort are considered a hotel because of the two pools, business center, full restaurant on property etc. All of these things offered in any hotel define what they are considered which is normal for any property and common knowledge for all seasoned travelers.

I do want to clarify that we do not charge guest $100 upon arrival we do authorize for at least a $100 but that is simply an authorization something that will not show up on a credit card rather it will show pending and a debit card it will show a hold or pending as well, but this is not a charge. All hotels take a deposit or authorize a credit card to ensure that no items are damaged or stolen, very common hotel practice. You have commented that the Anabella Hotel and Resort do not provide anything other soaps other than facial soap which is completely false all rooms do have soap and shampoo and lotion which is what you did receive in your room and we even do provide additional amenities in the concierge rooms.

In regards to your comments towards me I am sorry if you were unhappy with your stay I do feel that this hotel is probably not the right fit for you. If you would like to read my comments prior to this posting please take a look at how I address every posting individually and comment on all items raised in posting within each one of my responses. I do not think that we are a dirty hotel at all and I feel that you might have had a bad experience during your stay. I would love to see any pictures you might have so that we can address these issues and take action steps to prevent any reoccurrence from happening again. I do understand you have a negative impression of the Anabella Hotel and Resort and I do hope that you try us again in the near future so you can see why we are always full and have so many loyal happy regular guests that absolutely love our property and services. .

Reviewed 21 August 2012

Let me just get started with the pros of this hotel, as it was a nice place to stay, before the "fun" started to happen. The room was very spacious, which I loved. The bathroom was pretty big, there was a big comfortable bed and a small sofa in front of the bed. Air conditioner worked lovely and the manager at the front desk was very nice and even let us in our room well before check in. But then the "fun" began. When we came back to our room after being at Disneyland and California Adventure all day, we were ready to crash. Unfortunately, we had a room downstairs and it sounded like the people upstairs were having a jumping party at midnight (and at different times throughout the night).
Second night, our shower stopped working, so we had to call someone to come take a look. I put a towel on, and shortly after felt a spider crawling on my back, no, it gets better, there were others on the towel when I dropped it on the floor and had to hunt a few down to make sure they didn't make their way back up. The repair man was very nice and helpful, customer service was good despite what I read in other reviews. The noise from upstairs made it very difficult to sleep every night. All in all, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to someone unless they were getting a room on the second floor, and I might try that next time since it is a nice walk to the park and the rooms aren't too pricey.

Room Tip: Stay away from first floor rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex V
GGentry, Front Office Manager at The Anabella, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

First, of all thank you very much for taking the time to post a trip advisor online, regarding your recent stay here at the Anabella Hotel and Resort. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and felt that it was very spacious and you also that you enjoyed the bathroom as well. I am so happy that you were pleased also with my service I was the one who took care of you during check in, we try very hard to help accommodate all guest even if they are early before check in time

I do sincerely apologize for the loud disrespectful neighbor that you had and am sorry they were so loud. We do have 3 strikes you’re out policy in regards to late night disturbance and it sounds like they didn’t get to that level however I am sorry that you were disturbed. I am so sorry that you had some challenges during your stay here at the Anabella the Shower hot water incident is unacceptable as well as the spider in your room. I do hope you try this hotel again in the near future, thank you very much for all your comments.