“OK - but really just a posh motel”
Review of The Anabella

The Anabella
Ranked #54 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sevenoaks
“OK - but really just a posh motel”
Reviewed 20 February 2009

We stayed in a "club" room for 4 nights while taking our 4 year old to Disney. The photos looked great, and inded the room was quite stylish, but it was not really what we were lead to believe. The hotel is actually a motel, on two levels with car parking outside each room. The walls are pretty thin, so it was quite noisy in the mornings, and the windows only have poor blinds so they let in a lot of light. The bath was tiny and shallow, but the beds were very comfortable. Reception is nice, the pool looks good, but the "club" breakfast gets you vouchers in the main restaurant for just some fruit and a muffin. Good location, about 15 minutes (slow) walk to the main gate, through the Grand Californian. Overall we were happy enough with our stay, given the over-priced range of options nearby. Next time we might stay a bit further away in a proper hotel that offers a shuttle to Disney.

By the way, Knotts Berry Farm was great - Disney without the queues!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank topflameop

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (703)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 19 February 2009

I had never heard of this hotel, but used Hotwire.com ($79+fees/tax) to book our 1-night stay and was a little skeptical of staying here. We were VERY pleasantly surprised by the location, courteous front desk service, cleaniness and rooms. The rooms were a little small in size, but cute and cozy which is fine with us (travelling with husband, 4 year old and 10-month old). There was even a separte bedroom that had a bed, tv and mini-fridge which my 4 year old claimed as "his own" and was very excited. I so badly wanted to write a perfect review for this hotel, but as we settled in for the night to sleep, we realized there was a problem.

The beds are terrible. They are not bolted to the wall, so any slight bump or movement scoots them away from the wall. And man, are they LOUD! Every little turn or tug on the sheets made a very loud creaking sound, which woke up my 10-month old countless times through the night.

Then came the second problem. We happened to be on then end of a corridor, so had windows that gave a lovely view of what looked to be the shipping/receiving/warehouse type deal of the Convention Center. Not great to look at, but we didn't mind. That is, until 5:00 am when we were awakened by semis, trash trucks, deliveries, men talking. We hardly slept at all that night.

I would recommend this hotel if the beds were different (maybe they are in other rooms???) and if you're not on the convention center side of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 29 January 2009

We booked two rooms for the New Year, both of which were to a very good standard indeed.
Unfortunately, the reception person rather soured the experience as she was not at all helpful on arrival - treating us like idiots who had to be SPOKEN TO LOUDLY, but regrettably at such speed I had to ask her to repeat what she said several times!
The hotel bar was shut after the day's rigours at Disney, so we were directed to the restaurant next door.
Although my fault entirely, I left a small knee cushion behind - about 1lb in weight - but the hotel wanted $60 to send to the UK, which was what it cost me to send a package containing 18 bath towels and two books by air mail! And I thought it was just England which lacked customer service.
As I say the rooms were great - just think of the place as a superior motel.

• Liked — Rooms and location
  • Disliked — Service
    • Check-in / front desk
pfrechette, Management Representative at The Anabella, responded to this review, 30 January 2009
We were truly sorry to hear about your experiences while staying with us. I want to apologize about your arrival experience, we understand first impressions are extremely important to a guests satisfaction. Unfortunately we must charge for sending out items and we are always current with state and federal charges accordingly. We make no profit on this what so ever. If you would like to further discuss this or anything else regarding your stay, please give us a call at (714) 905-1050 Ext. 4736 and please mention this posting. Thank you very much for reviewing our hotel.
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 January 2009

We had a fabulous stay at the Anabella. We have stayed there before and had the same great service so decided to stay there again. We stayed November 2008, then off to Vegas and back in December 2008 and again in January 2009 on our return trip back to New Zealand from England. The rooms were the best ever, very clean, beds extremely comfortable and large size rooms. We had a room with both a King & Double bed for our teenage daughter. Plentty of space. And as for the staff EXCELLENT. The guys in reception made us feel like family and went out of their way to accommodate our every need. The hotel is ideally situated close to Downtown Disney and a has its own restaurant and also a couple of other restaurants very close by. We would definately recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Disneyland and the prices were fantastic. We got fabulous deals from the hotel. Can't wait to return again when the finances allow !! It's like home away from home. THANKYOU to the guys in the Reception area, they were great.

• Liked — Location to Disneyland and size and comfort of the rooms.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Schofields
pfrechette, Management Representative at The Anabella, responded to this review, 25 January 2009
Thank you so much for reccomending our hotel and for giving us such an outstanding review! We hope you come back and see what great changes we have for 2009. Thank you again and have a great new year!
Washington
Reviewed 1 January 2009

I was really nervous about staying here after seeing recent reviews, but I must say we had a wonderful experience. From seeing the reviews prior, I did call ahead of time to confirm my reservation, which I had made changes to. We checked in late in the evening, on Dec 25th, which seemed to be no problem. We were taken to our room on a golf cart which was nice. We stayed there for 6 nights.

We stayed in a mission suite, which I would recommend for anyone with two kids so they don't have to share a bed. Worth the extra money. In my case I have a 7 and 13 year old. My teenage son was loving having his own space. My daughter loved having her own couch/bed. The room was not huge but very doable. The bed was comfy and we loved having a king size bed and the down comforter was a nice touch. My only complaint was they didn't have a microwave or an eating table (there is a desk and chair) There is a fridge in the room and a store at the hotel so that was helpful. Overall my complaints were minimal. We didn't hear an over abundance of noise, just your usual hotel noise. I was actually impressed with how quite the bathroom noise was when we took showers. It was hardly heard in the room. Our room was clean when we got there and had great maid service every day with new towels (some towels did look like they had seen better days, but not all). The bathroom was really nice with great attention to the little things, like shelves in the shower, and shelves in the bathroom itself.

We did eat once at the Tangerine grill the night we came in. They closed at 10 but took us in with no complaints at 9:40pm. (We hadn't had dinner yet). Dinner was okay, my husbands was better than mine, he had a cheeseburger, I had a salad. My daughters kids meal was a lot of food. We ordered room service once and it came promptly and was very good.

The walk was not bad. We have stayed at another hotel that was a closer walk but I would stay here again and walk a little further. This was a much nicer hotel. The walk back in the evening was clearly lit and I felt safe. We did learn that if you are going to California Adventure you can cut thru the Grand California Hotel and go straight in .

I would definately stay here again and recommend it to others, in fact we already have!

• Liked — Room type, clean rooms,
  • Disliked — no microwave, no elevator
1 Thank Christmasvacationer
pfrechette, Management Representative at The Anabella, responded to this review, 12 January 2009
Thank you so much for writing a great review of our hotel. We were thrilled to hear about your family's stay with us. Thank you very much for the in depth look at your stay. We appreciate the time you took out of your day to write that. When you come back to the Anaheim Resort area, please do not hesitate to ask about our promotions. Thank you again, and I hope you have a great new year!
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 31 December 2008

My family of four and I stayed at the Anabella for the first time from December 26-31. We really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were exactly what we would have hoped for.

The park is a 15 minute walk, we didn't ever take the bus. Previous posts said to go through the Grand California to cut down on walk time, but they checked for room keys to use their park entrance, and so we were not able to take advantage of the shortcut.

This is not a hotel like a Hilton. The rooms have an outside door, and it is more like a motel. However the condition and cleanliness of the rooms and grounds exceeded our expectations. At about 9 AM there were probably 15-20 of the hotel staff cleaning the parking lot and making sure everything was picked up. We walked through the lobby everyday on our way to to Disneyland, and the staff always greeted us and usually opened the doors for us. We also had one day at the pool, and I thought the pool was great.

Also, we had a couple of requests for more towels, and extra pillow, etc. When we would return from the park at night, we always had a message from the front desk following up to make sure our needs were followed up on.

I'm certain that every hotel has issues from time to time just based on the number of occupants, but I really would not have any red flags in recommending this hotel to anyone I know, so long as there is not a 5-star, Ritz Carlton type of expectation going in. It was perfect for my little family, and we will always look to stay there when we go to Disneyland.

• Liked — Cleanliness, service
  • Disliked — No complaints
1 Thank cjd272n
pfrechette, Management Representative at The Anabella, responded to this review, 9 January 2009
Thank you so much for your great review! We were thrilled to hear that you and your family had such a great time while staying with us. Nothing makes us happier when we can impress anyone staying with us. Next time you come back, please give us a call and mention any promotion we may have going at that time. Thank you again for taking the time to review our hotel!
United States
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Overall I was satisfied with my stay at the Anabella over Christmas 2008. We were visiting the Disneyland Resort parks and while we were keeping an early schedule, someone who likes to sleep in might have an issue with this hotel. It obviously caters to families, and that's who checks in. The walls are thin so the sound of small children running, jumping, yelling, etc will wake you as early as 6:30 am. The laundry facilities were adequate, although I'm sure its a madhouse in the summer with only four washer/dryers. The photos on their website are slightly misleading, the carpets were dirty and the tiles cracked. Good rates at the Disney Good Neighbor hotels often outweigh the problems you may encounter as long as you know what you're getting into.

• Liked — Location, good rates
  • Disliked — cleanliness
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. We appreciate any feedback, positive or negative regarding a previous guest stay. I want to take the time to apologize first for any noise issues you may have encountered during your stay. Due to our location, we tend to get a great family atmosphere mixed in with many other types of clientle. Thank you again and please give us a call next time you vist the Anaheim resort area, just mention this posting from tripadvisor and hopefully we can improve your opinion of the our hotel.