“Never Again”

Ranked #54 of 118 Hotels in Anaheim
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 May 2006

STAY AWAY
Upon check-in our reservations were wrong, had to have the roomkeys, business center and fitness center all re-keyed. We were not told about using the room key to control the electronics and the frig didn't work right. That was just the first day. By the time we checked out on the morning of the 3rd of May. We found a nest of spiders living in the spare bed and the wash clothes in the bathroom were covered in silicone caulking from the tub. Not to mention a tub that was too slick to stand in with out holding onto something stable. The water pressure was awful, no chance at getting the soap out once it's in your hiar. We stayed in the concierge level, HUGE JOKE. We were told that we should be happy with the room after all we did have a flat screen tv hanging on the wall. We couldn't watch that either too much electrical interference. We called for numerous local numbers for dinner and either the numbers were wrong or disconnected. How hard can it be to open the phone book and look up a number? We were also charged a $50 fee upon check-in for incindentals. Which has yet to be refunded and this is 14 of May. STAY AWAY

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank Babydoll5180
There are newer reviews for The Anabella

New Zealand
Reviewed 12 May 2006

We stayed at the Annabella for 6 nights in April in a mini suite. The pool was great for the kids and hotel had what we needed. The room was rather small for the five of us as we used the foldaway sofa. room was bit dark and decor a bit dated but overall room was good and would definately suit a family of 3.
Grounds were were well kept. The hotel was quite close to Disneyland and California adventure. We were told to catch the Anaheim Resort Transit bus which was $3 for adults 10 & over and kids free. This is ok but if you are wanting to go to Disneyland the quickest way to go is to cut across the carparl across the road and catch the carpark shuttle. The Carpark shuttle is free and can goes both ways.
There are heaps of places to eat-out on harbor boulevard.
I this hotel is good value for money and worth a stay!
Thanks to the team at the Annahella for making our stay an enjoyable one!!!

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 6 June 2006

The staff of the Anabella would like to THANK YOU for staying with us and writing a review of your stay. We appreciate everybody who takes the time to let us know how their stay was and that they had a good time at our hotel. Please email me directly so I can thank you in person and add your email to my list of the many guests who have stayed with us in the past.

Reviewed 10 May 2006

I called the Annabella Hotel directly and reserved a room for two nights. I was asked my email address to send an email confirmation, therefore, I did not write down the confirmation as I expected to receive it via email as promised. After hearing from my travel partner that the timing of the trip was inconvenient; I immediately called the hotel back to cancel my reservation that same day. I was told by reservations that I would receive an email confirming my cancellation and that all was in order. I apologized that I had to cancel and informed thanked them for what I THOUGHT was good customer service; adding that I look forward to making another reservation when we could find a more appropriate time period.
Three weeks later; I get my credit card statement and there is a $205 charge from the Annabella. I immediatlely called to resolve the issue and was told that they could NOT find a reservation associated with my credit card-or my name! I was then transferred several times to multiple departments (accounting, room res, front desk) where I was directed to a voicemail. I left a voicemail asking kindly if they would call me back as I had a charge assessed on a reservation that I cancelled. I never received a return phone call. I then called AGAIN-and was AGAIN transferred multiple times when I finally spoke to someone in Accounting who said that if I didn't have a cancellation number there was nothing she could do. I informed her that her reservations department said I would receive an email-and that I never received EITHER a confirmation OR cancellation email as promised. Basically she stopped short of saying that I was OUT OF LUCK & I was a liar! That I didn't cancel the reservation. Never did she offer that they MAY have made an internal mistake, that there was an opportunity for human error on there part-NOTHING! I would like it to be known, that I am the HOTEL Market Manager for a VERY well known Online travel site; my primary role is to work with Hotel Sales/Marketing & Reservation Departments-Issues DO happen! Not everyone is a liar! I will gladly share my experience with the Annabella to Industry Partners, Travel Agents and anyone else that may be seeking my advice with regards to accommodation suggestions for the Anaheim region. As a footnote-never did I acknowledge my position with the hotel; so they thought of me as just another customer that they didn't care about. This is sad; as I saw how they treat and take advantage of people-I would not recommend this hotel as there are PLENTY of options in Anaheim to consider.

• Stayed: May 2006
15  Thank sincityhotelliason
Management response:Responded 6 June 2006

I apologize that you had trouble with your credit card being charged after you had called and cancelled your reservation with our hotel. I am not sure why your reservation wasn't cancelled when you called to cancel it and why they didn't give you a cancellation number right away which they should have been able to do besides sending you a cancel email. Please email directly if you have not been able to resolve this with the person you were speaking to at our hotel and I will help you in any way I can.

Reviewed 3 May 2006

I was traveling with my girlfriend and we arrived at the Anabella around 4:30 pm on a weeday and managed to check in pretty quickly. We received our room cards and although we only reserved a standard room, we were a bit disappointed by the size general size. The bed was jammed in a tight space, and there was barely any room for us to get out of the sides of the bed. The bathroom was also very small, and there was very little room for storing clothing. We were also placed immediately adjacent to an area in which staff frequented on a consistent basis, and this began to get irritating during the trip.

The pool for "adults" was quite small, although it was nice having a bit of a deeper area to swim in. The family pool was nice as well, and it is right next to the bar area for convenience. There were also numerous chairs around the family pool, and getting one was never a problem. There are only about five or six, however, near the adult pool area that are located in teh sun at any given time. Also worth mentioning is the wireless access at this hotel. There is a fee associated with the wireless access, which was unfortunate but no big problem. The problem arose when I couldn't get a consistent wireless signal from my room. I ended up having to take my laptop to the family pool area to get a consistent signal long enough to check my e-mail. I'm not sure whether this was due our particular room location or what, but it was irritating especially after having paid a fee.

The location to Disneyland was actually quite nice. A few reviews complained that you have to walk a ways, but it only took about ten - fifteen minutes from the hotel, and it was always sunny out so it was not much of a problem. The convenience of the location in relation to Disneyland was probalby the thing i liked most about this hotel. The staff was also friendly on the few occassions I had contact with them. In the future, I won't write off this hotel completely, but I will probably search around a bit more to see if I can find a hotel in a similar location but without the problems listed above.

• Stayed: August 2005
9  Thank Jeff H
Management response:Responded 12 May 2006

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel, we appreciate the time people take to review our hotel. I am not sure how you booked your reservation or what type of room you were in but if a guest is unhappy with their room or the location and we are notified we will always try to help the guest in any way we can by moving them to another room or building if needed. For the wireless if you contacted us about it and we were not able to fix the problem I apologize, we have a phone number to contact the wireless provider if any of our guests have problems with getting connected. Please contact me directly so I can discuss your stay and talk you into giving us a second chance in the future.

canada
Reviewed 3 May 2006

We recently stayed at the Anabella and was very disappointed. Our room did not look like the pictures on the internet. It was okay in size and was clean which was the only positive thing. The lighting was horrible, the water pressure was very bad and the walls are paper thin. Our room was ground level and we could always hear the people above us making it hard to sleep as they were up late walking around. You could hear the footsteps with every step they took. We could hear the people next to us carrying on a conversation and could hear their TV. This is not a resort type place it is more like a motel.

We found the staff to be unfriendly and always gave us a hard time cashing traveller cheques. We travel lots and this is the first time we were given a hard time cashing traveller cheques.

The pool is okay but not at all secure. Anyone can just walk in to the area no hotel key is required to enter. The rooms need a room key to operate lights and the air condition. If you leave your second key in the slot the maids take it on you. The staff claim the air conditioning will freeze if you leave it on all day. Whatever!!!

The parking is horrible. We come and go and had trouble finding parking spots in front of our room or even close to our room.

The Tangerine restaurant is not that great either. My husband opened a pakage of jam and it had mold on it. We brought it to the waiters attention and he did not even care he just smiled and removed it from the table. My kids like peanut butter on their toast so we asked the waiter some and we were charged for it. How stupid is that? We did not eat there again.

They also charge you for internet service per day and all other resorts we stayed at it was complimentary.

I would not recommend this hotel. We did not enjoy our stay there at all.

• Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 12 May 2006

I am verry sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to review your stay even though you had problems we appreciate the good comments about the rooms being clean.
I know if you would of brought the problems you had with the room to our attention we could of found you a different room. Were not a bank and we allow our guests to cash $100 per stay, anywhere you go you can cash travelers cheques with a valid I.D. We advertise free parking but we don't guarantee that the parking will be in front of your room because sometimes we have conventions in town that fill our hotel up and it is hard to find parking near your actual room. I will pass the info about the waiter onto our restaurant manager so we can retrain some of our staff. Please feel to contact me so we can discuss your stay in detail.

Anaheim, CA
Reviewed 30 April 2006

The motel style setting and thin walls will keep you awake all night as cars constantly come in and out and loud people unload their cars. You will hear wheeled luggage and people pass by your bedroom window all night.

The walls are so thin that you will hear your neighbors every move as they will hear yours. The walls are dirty and the decor is some god awfull brown flowers fru fru that smells like wet dog.

There are moths and cobwebs in the room. Our suite consists of a room with a king bed that barely fits and a foldaway bed in an area that looks like a walk in closet. The only thing that looks like has been upgraded in these rooms in the past twenty years is a system that turns off the lights and the air while your gone to obviously save them money.

There are also popcorn ceilings, and security officer accused us of having loud kids as we were unloading our car. He said that someone complained even though we had literally arrived 2 minutes earlier. He continued to harrass us and walk by our rooms for 30 minutes.

This place is laughable. I have read that the shuttle costs $3.00 per person each way. You can do the math there and I had to pay $10.00 to use their wireless internet for the day.

If you want your next vacation or business trip to be horrible than book The Anabella, if not than STAY AWAY!!!

Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded 12 May 2006

I apologize that you did not have a pleasant stay at our hotel. We don't advertise free wireless internet and if you would of called us we would have told you we have wireless internet for a fee. The shuttle to Disneyland is $3.00 dollars rountrip not each way and it is only a 15 minute walk to the maingate of Disneyland. I am not sure if you made contact with a member of our management team while you were here, but please contact me so I may discuss your stay with you in detail.

Reviewed 23 April 2006

This hotel was recommended to me but I will not recommend it to others. When we arrived we were put in the wrong room. We had our tired small kids and all our luggage with us, so this was no small inconvenience. We had to wait almost 1/2 hour to get in the correct type of room, and my itinerary with room type on it was not enough evidence for them of their mistake. We had to wait for phone calls and faxes and such before we were put in the right room. Yes the walls are thin and the pictures on the internet are not accurate, the rooms are much smaller than they appear. To top it all off, we left a small item of clothing behind, and after many phone calls back and forth, they said they didn't find the item, then they finally found the item, and want me to pay for the return postage! Seems reasonable on a heavy item but with all the rigamaroll they gave me on finding/not finding it, I thought the least they couuld do was pop it in the mail. After dropping $900 to stay there, a little customer service would have gone a long way. They do not seem to care if I come back or not, so I won't.

Stayed: April 2006
11  Thank NorcalGirly
Management response:Responded 12 May 2006

I apologize that you had some problems at check in and during your stay. We have allot of calls about returning items guest have left at our hotel and if we had to pay for every item small or large we would have a pretty big bill at the end of the year. For this reason we ask anyone that left something at our hotel after they checked out is responsible for the return of their lost item. Please contact me so I can discuss your stay at our hotel.